Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 09 May 2009 (Saturday) 13:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has B&H been exposed?

this thread is locked
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,084 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 11, 2009 09:56 |  #76

henryp wrote in post #7895885 (external link)
It's a shame a vocal few have fanned the flames of conspiracy. Here're the facts:
Canon ran a rebate program some time ago and we had a HUMAN error -- someone added when he should have subtracted. This happened on a Thursday night. We caught the problem on Friday morning and set up the fix immediately. Unfortunately we close early every Friday and are closed all day every Saturday. We proactively checked every order and made sure any customer who needed one received a refund. That was a HUMAN error and we said so at the time.

On another occasion, Canon USA raised their prices at about the same time a rebate program went into effect. Bad timing, but Canon USA's timing. The icing on the cake was they'd held deliveries until the price hike went into effect and didn't provide price protection so retailers had to pay the higher price for any backorders.

The situation now is unfortunate, but unavoidable. Prices are subject to a variety of market conditions and several retailers, including but not limited to B&H, were obliged to raise prices. Prices were raised on as many lenses out of the rebate program as in the program. This demonstrates this is not a B&H conspiracy and this is not an attempt for retailers to pocket the rebate at the customers' expense.

I appreciate the frustration this caused and appreciate that appearances can be misleading. I regret a few here have elected to presume the worst, to add their own suspicions, reported as "facts" to the thread and regret that one or two here who've previously demonstrated outright hostility towards B&H are attempting to foster misunderstanding. This is a fine forum comprised mostly of fine people. It'd be a shame if the malignant venality of a very few lead it down another path.

ther error surfaced after you defended the price hike as i recall. thanx for chiming in henry :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sponsored links
10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 11, 2009 09:56 as a reply to  @ post 7898917 |  #77

It seems to me that the bigger retailers are the ones guilty of raising their prices when these rebates come about. I'm sticking with my local "Mom and pop" camera store...they didn't raise their prices here, and the service is better;)

Gear List & Feedback

Cameralensrentals
267 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 11, 2009 10:00 |  #78

Bottom line is that all lenses are hard to come by right now. B&H is normally the best pricing around bar none. I know as a dealer I it took me 2 weeks to get some 24-70's in and they normally take me two days. Still have LP-E6 batteries on backorder that I ordered over a month ago. Still have several other lenses that were ordered a few weeks ago. There is just shortage everywhere and Im sure its a direct result of production being slowed in Japan. Just a matter of supply and demand. I just got my updated pricing from my rep and everything is still the same. Canon DID NOT raise the pricing (at least not to me :)

Barry
CameraLensRentals.com (external link)

Matthew ­ Patrick
395 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 11, 2009 10:29 |  #79

If Canon did not raise prices, then who did raise the prices?

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,084 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 11, 2009 10:33 |  #80

Matthew Patrick wrote in post #7899259 (external link)
If Canon did not raise prices, then who did raise the prices?

BH for one :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 11, 2009 10:37 |  #81

ed rader wrote in post #7899044 (external link)
ther error surfaced after you defended the price hike as i recall. thanx for chiming in henry :D.

ed rader

That is 100% accurate Ed...............

scobols
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 11, 2009 10:47 |  #82

Well, I may be the only one, but I'm OK with the price hike.

I purchased a 24-70 from BH just before the rebates were announced for $1190. Within a few days, I saw the rebates pop up and felt taken. Now that I know the price jumped and I would still pay $1190 after the rebate, I feel much better :)

www.scottbolster.com (external link)
facebook (external link)

sjnovakovich
209 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 11, 2009 10:47 |  #83

Yea... I wasn't paying attention when I placed an order last Thursday. I saw that the price was up from their paper catalog, but then again they were offering an $80 instant rebate (24-70 2.8/L). The lens alone was out of stock but it was available in a package deal with a Realtree Lens Coat. I went for the package deal. It never occurred to me to look for a Canon reabate for some reason. Stupid me! I though BH was offering me a good deal.

Lesson learned.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 11, 2009 11:09 |  #84

ed rader wrote in post #7899044 (external link)
ther error surfaced after you defended the price hike as i recall.

You're confusing two different events. During one rebate promo we made an error, quickly corrected and as quickly apologized for. During a different rebate promo, Canon USA raised their prices at or near the same time the rebate went into effect.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

sjnovakovich
209 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 11, 2009 11:11 |  #85

sjnovakovich wrote in post #7899349 (external link)
Yea... I wasn't paying attention when I placed an order last Thursday. I saw that the price was up from their paper catalog, but then again they were offering an $80 instant rebate (24-70 2.8/L). The lens alone was out of stock but it was available in a package deal with a Realtree Lens Coat. I went for the package deal. It never occurred to me to look for a Canon reabate for some reason. Stupid me! I though BH was offering me a good deal.

Lesson learned.

Well, after making a few phone calls, it looks to me like Canon screwed everbody on this. NOBODY I could find has this lens in stock at the old price. At least BH has someone on the forum here who is responding to us.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 11, 2009 11:33 as a reply to  @ sjnovakovich's post |  #86

Roberts Camera in Indianapolis, Indiana (my local camera store) has the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM IN STOCK for $1,190.00 ( They never raised thier price btw;)) and you get your $80 rebate of course.

http://robertsimaging.​com …value=24-70&submit=SEARCH (external link)

Gear List & Feedback

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,986 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 11, 2009 11:45 |  #87

dan j wrote in post #7895913 (external link)
I think the best way to add your own thoughts is to be a regular here answering questions like Adorama.

dan

Actually, Henry hits a number of forums, spending quite a bit of time on DPReview.

There is a pretty fair amount of uncompensated danger in any manufacturer rep corresponding on forums, however, and you occasionally see the feeding frenzies that demonstrate why.

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 11, 2009 11:54 |  #88

RDKirk wrote in post #7899716 (external link)
Actually, Henry hits a number of forums, spending quite a bit of time on DPReview.

There is a pretty fair amount of uncompensated danger in any manufacturer rep corresponding on forums, however, and you occasionally see the feeding frenzies that demonstrate why.

Hah, see, here is an example, right off the bat:

Like you I'm sure, I'm on a lot of different, and totally unrelated forums. It's been my experience that, while they do bear the brunt of screw-ups, the stores & manufacturers with reps do better with folks like me.

I'm much happier dealing with a store/manufacturer that has someone answering questions in public, not just emails.

As to your example, I think "Henry" was wrong to talk about a customers situation like that. If he sees a "feeding frenzy" I think a strong argument could be made that he brought it on himself by revealing her situation.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 11, 2009 11:55 |  #89

Karl C wrote in post #7897990 (external link)
You serious?
Yes, he's the man from B&H. Owns the place.

Thanks, but I do not own B&H. If I did I'd be able to hire some quick-typing thick-skinned chap to participate on all these forums. My title is Director of Corporate Communications. I like it 'cause I made it up myself. :-)

Someone asked if I'm from B&H. I am, hence my sig.
Someone asked if I was claiming Canon USA raised prices last year and again this year. I said no such thing.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 11, 2009 12:14 |  #90

henryp wrote in post #7899779 (external link)
Thanks, but I do not own B&H.

I stand corrected - my apologies.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

sponsored links

6,289 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has B&H been exposed?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.