Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 05 May 2009 (Tuesday) 19:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Guy senior portraits?

Lelasmama05
806 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 05, 2009 19:23 |  #1

I'm doing a guys senior portraits for the first time. I've only done girls before so I know boys don't pose the same so it's going to be hard. Do any of you have any advice? Or tutorials on it?

sponsored links
breathless
388 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2009 19:43 |  #2

Make him look tough and cool. Emphasis on cool.

Chris
Photographer, lover.
website (external link) | facebook (external link)

Lelasmama05
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 06, 2009 20:32 as a reply to  @ breathless's post |  #3

But he's not really a cool guy? He's into sports but definitely not into being "cool" but I'll try not to make him look like a dork LOL!

Anything else?

Mike30D
561 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2008

May 06, 2009 20:35 as a reply to  @ Lelasmama05's post |  #4

Try and read up on masculine posing.

Mike | flickr (external link) | Photos on Railpictures.net (external link) |

4honor
30 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 08, 2009 15:45 |  #5

Ha ha, I just shot my first guy senior too!

I think I basically just shot him like I would with girls for a bit, get him loosen up, an then just have fun. Tell him to climb this, jump from that, hang on this, lean on that, etc. If he whines, call him a sissy... ha ha, just kidding!

Gripped 5D Mark II - Gripped XSi - EF-S 18-55mm IS - 50/1.8 II - 16-35L - 24-70L - 70-200L 2.8 IS - 100L IS Macro - 135L - 580Ex II

Steph_in_Oregon
92 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 11, 2009 21:01 |  #6

I purchased a book awhile back and it offers simple posing info in addition to other ideas related to shooting seniors. Might want to check it out at your local library, I know it has posing comments for male vs female.

Any good portrait posing book should mention the differences. Something to do with which shoulder faces the camera..... and the tilt of the head.

Book:
http://www.amazon.com …oks&qid=1242093​622&sr=8-1 (external link)

Lelasmama05 wrote in post #7865424 (external link)
I'm doing a guys senior portraits for the first time. I've only done girls before so I know boys don't pose the same so it's going to be hard. Do any of you have any advice? Or tutorials on it?

jknighttexas
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2009

May 11, 2009 23:47 |  #7

Just like shooting down at a girl usually flatters her, shooting a little up at a guy makes him appear more masculine. Also, watch out for his hand position. I just had a successful "guy" shoot. Have fun! If he brings a guy friend, it makes him more relaxed.

5d mark II w/ 24-70 f/2.8
Mac, Aperture w/ CS3 for editing
www.k2images.wordpress​.com (external link)

superstes
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Joined May 2007

May 14, 2009 18:20 |  #8

As jkn posted, shoot lower and stick a roll of quaters in each of his hands lightly gripped, also shoot lower apertures, guy's don't want the dreamy DOF look, f/5.6 and above.

Have fun

jayxxbe
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2009

May 15, 2009 07:43 |  #9

I recently took pictures of someone for his modeling portfolio, and a comfortable & casual pose had him with his hands in his jean pockets with a casual laugh look. It worked really well :)

Good luck!

jonwee89
118 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 16, 2009 10:06 |  #10

I think with men, a relaxed, natural posing style looks to best. Just personal preference though.

Lelasmama05
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 25, 2009 10:29 as a reply to  @ jonwee89's post |  #11

Jayxxbe and Jonwee89 that is exactly what worked for my shoot. He's my little cousin and is sooo not a macho man type even though he is a restler. He's a "hands in his pocket light laugh" kinda guy. The shoot went pretty well. Another one of my little cousins is kinda my assistant. She helps me on shoots and she helps me get be to loosen up. Her and I are pretty funny together and it makes the people laugh which gets good shots. I'm finishing some final edits and I will share them with you guys.

I will have to see if I can find that book anyways. It definitely never hurts. Thank you guys for all the help :)

sponsored links

8,246 views & 0 likes for this thread
Guy senior portraits?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.