Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 10 May 2009 (Sunday) 19:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Copperhead?

Candor
Goldmember
4,854 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2009

May 10, 2009 19:41 |  #1

I ran into this guy while hiking in the First Landing Park at Virginia Beach. I would guess he was approximately 20 inches or so. He was sunning himself in the middle of the trail and I was looking for Osprey which aren't exactly ground dwellers so I'm glad I just happened to spot him before stepping on him. I'm thinking he may be a Copperhead and from what I've ready they aren't very deadly so I feel better now but I was keeping an eye on the trail a little more after running into him. If anyone can confirm my tentative ID or correct me that would be great. Thanks.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i233.photobucke​t.com …7/mdavies_01/IM​G_8910.jpg (external link)

http://i233.photobucke​t.com …7/mdavies_01/IM​G_8913.jpg (external link)

http://i233.photobucke​t.com …7/mdavies_01/IM​G_8890.jpg (external link)

http://i233.photobucke​t.com …7/mdavies_01/IM​G_8896.jpg (external link)

Mike
MikesWildLife (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
buddy4344
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006

May 10, 2009 19:49 |  #2

slit shaped eyes pretty much confirm it is venomous. Size is right. I haven't seen a copperhead in 20 years, but pretty sure this is one.

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

TheFloridaShooter
790 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

May 10, 2009 20:31 |  #3

Yes Yes and Yes

FujiFilm GFX 100 | FujiFilm GFX 100s | Sony Alpha 1 | Sony a7Riv | Sony a7Siii | Sony a9ii | Sony a7c | Pentax 645Z | No Wife

sogafyrfytr
214 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 10, 2009 21:41 |  #4

Yep that's a copperhead. Ordinarily not deadly with proper medical treatment - but boy you will get sick before its all over with.

Harry Rowe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rebel XTi - 18-55mm lens kit, 55-250mm IS, 70-300mm III
430EX
Sony Mavica MVC-CD500

Candor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,854 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2009

May 10, 2009 22:07 |  #5

Thanks very much for the ID guys!

On a side note does anyone know if the item in the nasal passage, probably the wrong terminology, is some sort of a parasite or is that normal? Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot of the other side of his head.

http://i233.photobucke​t.com …mdavies_01/IMG_​8878-2.jpg (external link)

Mike
MikesWildLife (external link)
flickr (external link)

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 10, 2009 23:39 |  #6

Looks like a nothern copperhead. Great specimen. Not sure about the spot on the heat pits. Could be foreign matter, but hard to tell.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

fishhawk
660 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 12, 2009 10:32 |  #7

Thats a nice series of shots, well done

DonE
Goldmember
1,978 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 12, 2009 13:52 |  #8

What a great looking Copperhead. You were lucky to spot it. Wish I could find more snakes on my outings so I could capture images like this. Well done!

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 12, 2009 14:15 |  #9

Beautiful shots!
How long did he lay there while you were snapping pictures? How close were you?
Great detail and DOF!

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

Subfightersandman
492 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 12, 2009 19:08 |  #10

buddy4344 wrote in post #7895487 (external link)
slit shaped eyes pretty much confirm it is venomous. Size is right. I haven't seen a copperhead in 20 years, but pretty sure this is one.

I believe many snakes have slit shaped eyes that are not poisonous. i have couple of boas that have slit shaped eyes.

http://i315.photobucke​t.com …bfightersandman​/Baloo.jpg (external link)

http://i315.photobucke​t.com …ndman/IMG_71012​2frame.jpg (external link)

Not trying to hijack the thread

40D, 70D
Tamron 17-50 F 2.8 VC
Canon EF 70-200 F4 L
Canon EF 85mm 1.8
Godox 860C x2
www.roshanakhan.com (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 12, 2009 21:21 |  #11

Copperheads are very venomous ! If they bite you , you do need medical attention immediately !! In the USA the top 4 most dangerous snakes are : Coral , Copperhead , Cottonmouth , Rattlesnake . Check this out : http://www.venomoussna​kes.net/ (external link)

Luvthemtorts
147 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 12, 2009 22:33 |  #12

Celestron wrote in post #7910034 (external link)
Copperheads are very venomous ! If they bite you , you do need medical attention immediately !! In the USA the top 4 most dangerous snakes are : Coral , Copperhead , Cottonmouth , Rattlesnake . Check this out : http://www.venomoussna​kes.net/ (external link)

Copperheads are actually one of our least dangerous venomous snakes. In fact many bites result in nothing more than some minor swelling and localized pain. Thats not to say that medical help is not needed or that its not a medical emergency however the chances of dying from even an untreated bite are relatively rare provided one does not experience anaphylactic shock or venom is not injected intravenously.
Don't rely on the internet for accurate information as it tends to be pretty broad, sensationalistic and non specific.
As an example lets take the Rattlesnakes. Some such as the Mojave Green are quite deadly whilst others such as the Dusky Pygmies are typically considered non lethal as is the Copperhead.
Cottonmouth bites are typically not life threatening but tend to involve a fair amount of tissue damage.
The Coral Snake is an elapid and does not fall in the same category as our other native venomous snakes. Instead of being primarily hemotoxic their venom is neurotoxic which directly affects the CNS and which makes it a very dangerous animal. Symptoms often do not appear for hours after a bite and can progress rapidly from that point which means time is of the essence.
To sum it up ALL venomous snake bites should be treated in a medical setting but your chances of dying are statistically very low indeed.

Canon 40D, EF 40mm F2.8 STM, EF 100-300mm F/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS, 430EX II, various Think Tank bags and holster.

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 12, 2009 22:42 |  #13

Luvthemtorts wrote in post #7910371 (external link)
As an example lets take the Rattlesnakes. Some such as the Mojave Green are quite deadly

Correct. There are cases and research where Mojaves have a neurotoxic and hemotoxic venom and this has also been suggested to be true with a few bites from Soutern Pacific rattlesnakes.

Getting a bite from a rattlesnake who venom has hemotoxic and neurotoxic properties can have very bad effects.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

DonE
Goldmember
1,978 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 13, 2009 13:20 |  #14

Great info. We do have a lot of coral snakes here in Fl. I have come across a few in my neighborhood and in the woods. Now I just need to catch some upclose photos of some of them.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 13, 2009 16:43 |  #15

Well i just know that Copperheads are venomous and dangerous . And no matter what type venom it has it is still considered to be lethal and medical attention is needed as with any other venomous snake . If it were not then it would not be listed at all on the Venomous list of snakes . I hate snakes , i know their purpose and i don't bother and go looking for them . Better they are hidden the better off i am . So the way i look at it that if someone ask if they are dangerous or venomous and the particular snake is then that person should be assured that they are and not mislead otherwise . I would feel bad if i said a particular snake was ok and the person got bit and did nothing about it and ended up in the hospital from a poisonous snake bite . I'll rest better at night !

sponsored links

4,068 views & 0 likes for this thread
Copperhead?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.