Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 13 May 2009 (Wednesday) 07:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First attempt sunrise - Hilton Head, SC

The ­ Stig
213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 13, 2009 07:38 |  #1

Hey all,

I'm here for the week and I'm trying to get a good pic of a sunrise over the ocean. This is my first attempt at doing this. C&C welcomed with open arms - I won't have another chance at this for a long time.

Thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.LensArtwork.com (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​lensartwork (external link)
www.MeltedRubber.com (external link)

My website, Flickr, and blogs

sponsored links
spife7980
120 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 13, 2009 07:54 |  #2

wow. i really love the colors in this one. over all a beautiful pic.

40D | 18-55mm IS I 10-22 I| 70-200mm f/4 L USM

MaxExposure
60 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 13, 2009 10:18 as a reply to  @ spife7980's post |  #3

excellent first attempt. the colors are great, and the exposure is decent. but the sun is too centered in the frame, it doesn't draw in the eye as much as it could. good picture though

Richard ­ Hearing
21 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 13, 2009 12:12 |  #4

I tend to agree with the above comment,but I can see why you did centre the sunset, good shot

NIKON D40, 18-55mm F 3.5-5.6, 50mm F1.8

The ­ Stig
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 13, 2009 15:03 as a reply to  @ Richard Hearing's post |  #5

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I gotta admit, I was really torn about centering the shot, but wasn't truly happy with how it was turning out off center. Besides, I was kind of running out of time to make decisions :) Anyway, I have a few more days to try some different stuff too - just wanted to make sure I wasn't making dumb pictures lol

gixxer
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 13, 2009 19:28 |  #6

Nice shot, maybe next time try getting a little closer to the water and composing the shot a little lower to the ground.

Daniel
flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |ImageCarolina.net (external link)

Michael ­ Bottoms
Cream of the Crop
6,297 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 13, 2009 20:01 |  #7

Nice shot, but I find the horizon a little off the horizontal... A nit pick, but... and while the advice to move the sun from the center of the image is good, I feel this shot works as is. Might be more dramatic following the rule of thirds, but maybe not... Thanks for sharing

Former Pentax & 20D owner... now the pleased owner of the new 50D, 580EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF-S 60mm Macro, Canon EFS 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, Kenko 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300, Sekonic L-508 Zoom Master Meter, Manfrotto and slik tripods, trekpod and other assorted accessories...

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 13, 2009 20:14 |  #8

Well-done! Did you have to PP to get the sun's rays to "fan" like that?

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

The ­ Stig
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 13, 2009 20:30 as a reply to  @ tigerotor77w's post |  #9

Actually no. I used bracketed shots and combined two of them to make this one, which was how I maintained detail in the sky and on the beach and ocean. Aside from combining the bracketed shots, there wasn't a whole lot of post processing done.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to try the suggestions above and see about improving. Here's hoping mother nature cooperates...

sponsored links

963 views & 0 likes for this thread
First attempt sunrise - Hilton Head, SC
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.