Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 12 May 2009 (Tuesday) 23:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Working on a Cruise Ship

robie
317 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 12, 2009 23:11 |  #1

I am wondering if you think working on a cruise ship would be a good idea. I would like to become a photographer on a cruise ship if I don't get into college this year for photography and am wondering if you really need college to get a job. I love to travel and would love to take some shots of the world. Would getting trained on a cruise ship be equivalent to college? Will employers like that? Thanks.

My favorite show, Departures has really inspired me to see the world even more.

sponsored links
barefooter14
111 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 13, 2009 00:36 |  #2

i would post this in the other threads so more people will open that might
know the answer to your question.. just my .02

robie
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 13, 2009 01:30 |  #3

barefooter14 wrote in post #7910971 (external link)
i would post this in the other threads so more people will open that might
know the answer to your question.. just my .02

Whoops, I forgot about the different sections on this forum. I forgot to read that it said "photo sharing" section. I haven't posted here for quite a while.

barefooter14
111 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 13, 2009 11:21 |  #4

no worrys just trying to help.
goood luck

outbri
102 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 13, 2009 15:14 |  #5

robie wrote in post #7910576 (external link)
Would getting trained on a cruise ship be equivalent to college? Will employers like that?

Since you haven't gotten any replies in the other forum I'll reply here...

By no means is working on a cruise ship in any way equivalent to college.
Will employers like it? Probably not much more than a couple months working at a coffee shop on your resume.

It all depends on the job you want. If you want to get full time into photography it all depends on how good your pictures are and how much you publicize them.
If you can read and teach yourself and practice on a cruise ship, enough to go pro, then go for it.
But you still won't learn what you'd learn if you went to photography school. All school is is knowledge and experience. You can learn the same things by reading and practicing. But you have to read everything that professor read and practice as much as he has. ;)

Years later if you want / need to get a job outside photography, having gone to college will look better to your employer than having worked a cruise ship.

HarrisonClicks
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 13, 2009 17:20 as a reply to  @ outbri's post |  #6

The prior poster is correct.

My advice? Take a year off, go play and shoot on a cruise ship, and then go to college. Get the best of both. And take that year off while you still can, because you won't be able to later.

Adam
Gear List Temporarily Removed

robie
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 13, 2009 19:10 |  #7

1080iAddict wrote in post #7915702 (external link)
The prior poster is correct.

My advice? Take a year off, go play and shoot on a cruise ship, and then go to college. Get the best of both. And take that year off while you still can, because you won't be able to later.

That sounds good. I will think about that. Thanks for the replies.

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 13, 2009 19:18 |  #8

robie wrote in post #7910576 (external link)
Would getting trained on a cruise ship be equivalent to college? Will employers like that?

No - complete your college education first, then travel. You have a lifetime to travel/see the world. Also, I would suggest a degree in another discipline, such as business. A business degree, over the lifetime of your career, might prove more beneficial.

Do not pass up the opportunity to finish your college education right now.

Trust me.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

robie
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 14, 2009 01:26 |  #9

Karl C wrote in post #7916331 (external link)
No - complete your college education first, then travel. You have a lifetime to travel/see the world. Also, I would suggest a degree in another discipline, such as business. A business degree, over the lifetime of your career, might prove more beneficial.

Do not pass up the opportunity to finish your college education right now.

Trust me.

I am going to do college first. That is my plan.

robie
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 14, 2009 01:27 |  #10

Say I do Tourism And Travel in College. Is there any photography jobs that I can get with a Diploma in Tourism And Travel?

HarrisonClicks
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 14, 2009 19:54 as a reply to  @ robie's post |  #11

I must say that, upon further reflection, I agree with Karl. Do college first, then travel. Then come back and go to law school! :-)

Adam
Gear List Temporarily Removed

constrict
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 14, 2009 22:48 |  #12

Traveling costs lots of money and it's pretty difficult to do that with tens of thousands of school loans to pay off. I'd say give working for a cruise ship a shot and see if you come back with a decent portfolio of images.

5D | 5DIII | 1DIV| 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 24 f1.4L II | 35 f1.4L | 50mm f1.4 | 85mm f1.2 II
http://www.tomcouture.​com (external link)| http://facebook.com/co​uturephotos (external link)
| http://instagram.com/t​omcouture (external link)

sponsored links

1,535 views & 0 likes for this thread
Working on a Cruise Ship
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.