Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 May 2009 (Tuesday) 09:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Building A Website

Z ­ FOTOTECHNIKA
551 posts
Joined May 2009

May 12, 2009 09:12 |  #1

Hello Fellow Photogs,

I am new to the photography world and have never sold any of my work. I have experience shooting, but no experience selling my work. I would like to build a website for free or minimal cost to start getting my name out there on the market.

My question is what is the best site that I should choose to Build my e-commerce photography world? There are soooooooo many choices and some are free, some are monthly, some are annual cost. How do choose the best one that is worth my time & money? Are the free ones nearly as good as the paid?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

GEAR: Canon 1Ds Mark III | Gripped Canon 50D| EF 24mm f1.4L II | EF 85mm f1.2L II | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS| EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye| Lensbaby Composer | (2) AB800

MM# 2205653
Max

sponsored links
Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

May 12, 2009 11:14 |  #2

See the thread in my sig... It will help answer some of your questions.

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

Z ­ FOTOTECHNIKA
THREAD ­ STARTER
551 posts
Joined May 2009

May 12, 2009 12:02 as a reply to  @ Faolan's post |  #3

Thank for directing me to your previous post. It was very invormative and useful.

However, I still have the question of which site is the best to use if I were say going to design the website myself without professional help?

GEAR: Canon 1Ds Mark III | Gripped Canon 50D| EF 24mm f1.4L II | EF 85mm f1.2L II | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS| EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye| Lensbaby Composer | (2) AB800

MM# 2205653
Max

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

May 12, 2009 12:13 |  #4

SmugMug and Zenfolio seems to be the 2 most used Stateside from what I've seen, I'm in the UK so I can't really advise on this aspect.

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

Z ­ FOTOTECHNIKA
THREAD ­ STARTER
551 posts
Joined May 2009

May 12, 2009 13:25 as a reply to  @ Faolan's post |  #5

OK I will check out those sites.
Thanks again

MM# 2205653
Max

BoredTiger
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 12, 2009 15:09 |  #6

Hi OIPhotography.

I'm looking at Smugmug right now, and in the same position as you. I've never sold my work.

But as far as I can see Smugmug seems to be quite user-friendly and allows for customization when you can upgrade to their professional level. I'm currently on their trial period, and trying to formulate whether or not if I'll be able to make 200-300 dollars in the next year or two, to justify the Smugmug annual fees. If I become confident that I can make that much from photo sales, then I would believe that it's an investment that is well-worth the time.

Who knows, I can be wrong and completely clueless too :p

Alleh
484 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 12, 2009 15:29 |  #7

Photoshelter is so much better than smugmug. Whenever I look at a smugmug site they always just scream amateur.

Advertising Photographer Portland OR Alleh Lindquist (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Photography Business Blog (external link) | My Flickr (external link)

Z ­ FOTOTECHNIKA
THREAD ­ STARTER
551 posts
Joined May 2009

May 13, 2009 14:34 as a reply to  @ Alleh's post |  #8

Thank you for the suggestions guys. I also was reading that Godaddy.com is good place to go and possibly the best deal on the net.

MM# 2205653
Max

Ralpho
161 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 14, 2009 03:49 as a reply to  @ Z FOTOTECHNIKA's post |  #9

You should have a look at exposuremanager.com, too. Commission is only 10 percent. No one is lower. Support is fantastic. If you have a question they will answer in less than 24 hours.

Ralpho
161 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 14, 2009 03:50 |  #10

Ralpho wrote in post #7918733 (external link)
You should have a look at exposuremanager.com, too. Commission is only 10 percent. No one is lower. Support is fantastic. If you have a question they will answer in less than 24 hours.

Here's my EM site if you want to look at one: http://rodcannon.com (external link)

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 14, 2009 06:09 |  #11

Alleh wrote in post #7908201 (external link)
Photoshelter is so much better than smugmug. Whenever I look at a smugmug site they always just scream amateur.

Do you really want to make that generalization?

I've used Exposure Manager and Zenfolio; didn't care for the customization functionality of each (limited or no style customization).

Today, I use SmugMug which best suits my needs (see signature link).

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

Z ­ FOTOTECHNIKA
THREAD ­ STARTER
551 posts
Joined May 2009

May 14, 2009 07:14 as a reply to  @ Karl C's post |  #12

I like how simple the Caliente website is, but I didn't see any place to purchase your work there. I would like to design a website that has a bit more action going on and a shopping cart for people to order prints and such.

So just trying to get everyones opinions as to what they found to be the best customizable site and is user friendly to setup and navigate.

MM# 2205653
Max

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 14, 2009 08:00 |  #13

OIPhotography wrote in post #7919157 (external link)
I like how simple the Caliente website is, but I didn't see any place to purchase your work there. I would like to design a website that has a bit more action going on and a shopping cart for people to order prints and such..

SmugMug allows for direct ordering - I just don't have it enabled as I don't expect to sell much, if any, shots.

You can do a lot with SmugMug. My site is simple, yet somewhat professional appearing, for a reason.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 14, 2009 09:17 |  #14

OIPhotography wrote in post #7914731 (external link)
Thank you for the suggestions guys. I also was reading that Godaddy.com is good place to go and possibly the best deal on the net.

Apples and Oranges. The other suggestions (Smugmug, Exposure Manager, etc) are specific sites for posting, selling, and delivering photos. GoDaddy is a general purpose web host where you can host a site you develop or software you install there. If you do end up designing and developing your own site (or have it done for you) then yes GoDaddy is a good option.

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

PhotosGuy
75,827 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 14, 2009 09:50 |  #15

Do you want a site that will show clients your capabilities? Sell? Collect money & ship prints, or just take orders?

Free JAlbum.net (external link) - Will build excellent galleries & now has free hosting, too. A few skins incorporate shopping cart features like FotoPlayer ($39-$89). (external link), & some of those aren't free.
http://jalbum.net/host​ing/ (external link)

Example skins - JAlbum skins seem easy to modify & there's a lot of help in their forums. Some subforums are dedicated to only one skin, which makes it easier to get info.
http://jalbum.net/skin​s (external link)
http://jalbum.macosxsu​pport.com/ (external link)

I haven't used their hosting, but did use a skin for one my gallery pages.
"ExhibitPlus" (external link) I think.

I combined three into one with simple html links. The home page is www.FrankCizek.COM (external link) & the PrintRoom site is www.FrankCizek.NET (external link)
The PrintRoom home page isn't intrusive, & this way I can use either URL on a card depending on who I'm targeting.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

4,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
Building A Website
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.