Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 May 2009 (Wednesday) 12:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

One of my first shots in 450D

DYORD
355 posts
Joined May 2009

May 13, 2009 12:11 |  #1

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i283.photobucke​t.com …Photography/lan​dscape.jpg (external link)

no skies..

Canon 450D; Kit lens 18-55mm f3.5-5.6; 50mm f1.8, 55-250mm IS; 430EX II.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dyord/ (external link)

sponsored links
thescottandrew
906 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 13, 2009 12:12 |  #2

hmmm... kind of bland subject material. might want to try a different subject and possibly a different time of day. good effort ;)

DerekSimon
736 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 13, 2009 16:34 |  #3

Not really sure what you were trying to achieve but don't worry I think that all of us were like that upon first receiving our camera's. My recommendation would be to conquer daylight shots first before moving onto night work. And also finding more interesting subjects would be a plus. Remember its not just about candidate shots, look for artist subjects and if you can't find any, try to turn a what may seem boring shot into something interesting.

www.dereksimon.com (external link)

PETERSYMES
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 13, 2009 16:39 |  #4

Maybe getting in closer on the lighting detail or shooting through the water fountain would have added interest.
Technically OK though a little soft

DYORD
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined May 2009

May 13, 2009 20:41 |  #5

Honestly, it's hard for me to define "subject".. You mean there should be something at the foreground? How about the tree? doesn't it fit as a subjecT? Just curious...

Gibbo
955 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 13, 2009 21:11 |  #6

DYORD wrote in post #7916786 (external link)
Honestly, it's hard for me to define "subject".. You mean there should be something at the foreground? How about the tree? doesn't it fit as a subjecT? Just curious...

I think the word 'subject' is used for 'the reason you are taking the picture' or the 'thing' you want people to look at, or focus on in the picture.

I don't think the tree in this picture is the subject, as it's not the intention of why you took it, and therefore isn't what you want the people to focus on when looking at it.

6D / 5D / RX100 IV / 24L / 50L / 70-200L 2.8 IS

DYORD
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined May 2009

May 14, 2009 06:21 |  #7

how do you shoot a facade of a mall or a structure?

PETERSYMES
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 14, 2009 12:52 as a reply to  @ DYORD's post |  #8

Take a look at this site for a few ideas.

http://www.archimage.c​o.uk/arch_thumbnail.ht​m (external link)
This is what i meant by details etc..

DYORD
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined May 2009

May 14, 2009 13:21 |  #9

sorry.. but i really have to ask this..

how is my picture different from this one?

http://www.archimage.c​o.uk/mclaren.htm (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

May 14, 2009 13:47 |  #10

DYORD wrote in post #7921142 (external link)

I think that a more helpful approach in learning image composition would be to rephrase the question and ask yourself, "how is my picture like this one"?

Then think about the ways that they might be different in terms of things like the rule of thirds for composition, exposure, leading lines, points of interest, and clarity of its message.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

Andres14
21 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 14, 2009 14:10 as a reply to  @ Bill Boehme's post |  #11

DYORD,

I'm no expert in architectural photography, but looking at your photo, I could not decide what you wanted a viewer to see as a subject of interest. I would say you need a better angle. If you look at the examples mentioned to compare to, you can see there are interesting lines, lighting and curves to help you draw the eye to the photo. Some of them are post processing however...

Keep working the subject, (the building and lighting) from different point of views. From your picture I would have gone to the far left and shot the lines using vertical and worked a little bit more on the exposure. Meter off your palm and recompose, or add a little overexposure to avoid the pitch black sky.

Go lower, get a bit closer to the fountains, use slower shutters to capture the water nice and silky, etc.

Newborn, Baby, Family Photographer:
My Gear: 40D | 5D Mark II | 24mm-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.2 L | 28mm-135mm IS f/3.5-5.6 USM | Saving up to get the 70-200mm IS f/2.8 lens (Ouch)

PETERSYMES
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 14, 2009 14:19 |  #12

The Technology centre shot has all the perfect compositional elements.
The rail (foreground) established the scale and the mid ground curve of the building leads the eye naturally into the background distance.(leading lines)
The lighting is well balanced, the colours very vivid and it is pin sharp.

In your shot the interior building lighting is over exposed and the building signs appear blurred, you have elements half in half out of the frame like the tree on the right and the puddles in the foreground and the entire image is soft.
For me there is no point of interest for my eye to lead to so the whole scene lacks interest.
With the technology centre shot when i look at it i start at the handrail in the foreground and follow the sweep of the entire building into the background taking in the vivid blues as i go and i find the image pleasing.

I am not saying you have a bad shot, it's OK but lacks composition elements IMO.:D

Hookup
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2009

May 14, 2009 14:28 |  #13

To answer your specific question the things that stand out for me between the two are;

Your image,
has blown highlights, significantly over blown
has dark sky that hides the architecture of the building (lack of contrast between your "background and subject")

The "other" image,
has contrast in the building and surroundings that emphasize the lines of the architecture
has a "cleaner" look and feel (less clutter)

To me, you've got a pretty good shot, maybe not wall-hanging quality, but a lot better than some that I've seen... (My wife just completed a photography course and the architecture assignments she showed me.. well you did quite well comparatively speaking)

Your foreground has puddles and texture that are distracting, and as pointed out the sky has no contrast with the buildings outline... Tripod (if not used) would help with some of the softness in the image.

I've no doubt you could go back a few times and make improvements shooting from different spots, angles, positions and different lenses... I'd like to see more.:cool:

DYORD
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined May 2009

May 15, 2009 08:01 |  #14

Thanks for all your replies.. really helped me a lot. But going back to lack of sky.. how do you shoot this kind of scenario having a sky without over exposing the building?

PETERSYMES
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 15, 2009 13:40 |  #15

DYORD wrote in post #7925893 (external link)
Thanks for all your replies.. really helped me a lot. But going back to lack of sky.. how do you shoot this kind of scenario having a sky without over exposing the building?

Blended multiple exposures is one way you could handle that.
Do you use Photoshop?

sponsored links

1,608 views & 0 likes for this thread
One of my first shots in 450D
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.