Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 May 2009 (Thursday) 18:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hoya or B+W

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

May 14, 2009 18:47 |  #1

I'm looking to buy a 77mm UV filter and a CPL for my new lens. I've heard that Hoya is very good and is the largest manufacturer of filters. On the other hand, B+W is very good as well. I've been reading reviews and such and I'm still on the fence between the two. Please chime in with your comments/opinions. :D

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 14, 2009 18:49 |  #2

Personally I decided to go with what I have known to be top dog for years and got the B+W MRC KSM CPLs.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 14, 2009 19:10 |  #3

What about the UV filter? Is there a particular B+W model that you would recommend?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 14, 2009 19:11 |  #4

Their MRC UV10. That's on all my lenses that I can put a filter on . . .

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,095 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 14, 2009 20:23 |  #5

Both (Hoya SHMC or B+W MRC) are super products, cannot go wrong with either. The B+W has a claim that brass (rather than aluminum) rings will bind to lenses less, but as more and more lenses are made of composites rather than anodized aluminum, this is becoming less and less of an issue. Many say Hoyas are harder to clean without streaks, but I haven't found them extraordinarily difficult (and I own both brands of filters).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 14, 2009 22:38 |  #6

I have B+W F-Pro on all my lenses. It's the MRC UV10 and have been happy with them. I just replaced the Quantaray Professional Series on my 24-70 with the B+W version. There was nothing wrong with qray, just doesn't seem to be constructed well. When I clean the glass, it doesn't seem to sit securely in the ring and dust seems to always get inside. For those of you curious, Hoya makes the Quantaray Professional Series. Perfectly good filters with good quality glass, just lesser build quality compared to B+W. B+W's are pricey, especially when I had to get one for my 16-35mm f/2.8L II which uses an 82mm filter size.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 15, 2009 01:31 |  #7

Thanks for the replies guys! I just bought a Hoya Super HMC UV filter off a member on here and will try it out. As for the CPL, it looks like the B+W Kaesemann is the way to go so B+W it is. :D

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 15, 2009 12:09 |  #8

Jon wrote in post #7923094 (external link)
Their MRC UV10. That's on all my lenses that I can put a filter on . . .

Same here.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,160 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 15, 2009 13:13 |  #9

Exposure101 wrote in post #7923087 (external link)
=Exposure101;7923087]What about the UV filter? Is there a particular B+W model that you would recommend?

this was posted the other day.

http://www.lenstip.com …icle-UV_filters_test.html (external link)

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 15, 2009 13:15 |  #10

Exposure101 wrote in post #7924950 (external link)
Thanks for the replies guys! I just bought a Hoya Super HMC UV filter off a member on here and will try it out. As for the CPL, it looks like the B+W Kaesemann is the way to go so B+W it is. :D

Remember the B+W Slim CPLs do not have front threads and use a PITA slipon plastic cap. I would avoid them if possible. The new Hoya HD CPLs have gotten some good comments.

Jim

My Gear

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,095 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 15, 2009 13:18 |  #11

Exposure101 wrote in post #7924950 (external link)

... if you are not in a very humid area where you normally shoot, spending the extra on a Kaesemann sealed CPL could be an extravagance which is not needed.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Dailow
75 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 15, 2009 13:20 as a reply to  @ jhom's post |  #12

Having used both, I don't notice a problem with either brand optically. I do have a significantly easier time cleaning the B+W filters, however.

5D Mark II
16-35 f/2.8L II, 85 f/1.2L, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 70-300 f4-5.6LIS
580EX II

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 15, 2009 13:24 |  #13

Dailow wrote in post #7927752 (external link)
Having used both, I don't notice a problem with either brand optically. I do have a significantly easier time cleaning the B+W filters, however.

Same here.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 15, 2009 13:24 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #7927742 (external link)
... if you are not in a very humid area where you normally shoot, spending the extra on a Kaesemann sealed CPL could be an extravagance which is not needed.

I will be going to Jamaica in a few weeks so I take it that the Kaesemann is pretty much required? Either way I'm just waiting to strike a good deal on one. It's gone up a lot in price now (before was $135 or so and now it's about $200).

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 15, 2009 13:26 |  #15

ed rader wrote in post #7927696 (external link)
this was posted the other day.

http://www.lenstip.com …icle-UV_filters_test.html (external link)

ed rader

Yeah I saw that and read the reviews on them. I also checked out Kenrockwell's reviews as well and saw that the SHMC UV filter was good so I bought it off a member on here. I tried looking up the Hoya CPLs on amazon but it was a little confusing (not too many clear cut options).

Dailow wrote:

I've heard that as well. Although people have said that while the Hoya filters will take a little more effort, it's not that bad at all (just microfiber and just dry it off).

sponsored links

1,857 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hoya or B+W
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.