Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 May 2009 (Thursday) 18:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Filter

slkfis
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 14, 2009 18:55 |  #1

I need a 67mm filter for a 17-85mm Canon. I have looked at all the normal places B&H,AD, ect. I really don't know what I need for general purpose nor can I find the answer by a site search.

There is a Hoya 67mm HMC 82A for sale on site. Checking it out I find 82A is a color converter filter. Now I'm really confused!! I can't find a clear explanation of a color converter.

HELP, newbie wwwould be lost if he wasn't so confused.

thxs

slkfis :oops:

Canon 40D
28-135 KIt --- 70-200mm IS 2.8
As I learn to add, I will!

sponsored links
Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

May 14, 2009 19:01 |  #2

What's your main use for the filter?

Gear List
ACCD

slkfis
THREAD ­ STARTER
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 14, 2009 20:58 as a reply to  @ Depth's post |  #3

At this point just as a all purpose walk around while I try to figure out what
I'm doing.

I mainly wish to protect the lens.

I just finished reading the entire filter sticky and still don't know the purpose of a color converter.

I believe now I just need a good 5 coat protective filter from what I read on the sticky.

thanks for thr reply.

slkfis

Canon 40D

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 14, 2009 23:55 |  #4

slkfis wrote in post #7923667 (external link)
At this point just as a all purpose walk around while I try to figure out what
I'm doing.

I mainly wish to protect the lens.

I just finished reading the entire filter sticky and still don't know the purpose of a color converter.

I believe now I just need a good 5 coat protective filter from what I read on the sticky.

thanks for thr reply.

slkfis

Get a lens hood. That will give much more protection and serve a useful purpose besides.

Colour converter lenses do essentially that. They were used when film intended for use with one type of illumination (say daylight) was actually used under another (say tungsten). They are essentially irrelevant in digital photography since white balance is easily adjusted.

Rodinal
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 15, 2009 01:21 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

slkfis wrote in post #7923022 (external link)
There is a Hoya 67mm HMC 82A for sale on site. Checking it out I find 82A is a color converter filter. Now I'm really confused!! I can't find a clear explanation of a color converter

I don't understand. How hard is it to type "82A filter" in Google?
You got a limited, technical and confusing explanation from one particular web site. Flash news for you: it's not the only one explaining filters out there :)

1D Mark II • 16-35/2.8L mk I • 24-70L • 70-200/2.8L IS • 50/1.8 • 24-85 • 400/5.6L • 430EX

John_B
Cream of the Crop
7,157 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Sep 2006

May 15, 2009 06:19 |  #6

slkfis,
The type of filter you are looking for is a UV filter,
as it is mostly used for protecting the lens, some UV filters help reduce haze also.

Here in this topic: Test of 20 UV filters <-- click to see there shows a link that compares 20 different UV filters as some reduce quality more then others. B+W UV Haze MRC had the least light reduction and is the UV filters I use on most of my lenses.

Like xarqi suggestion, a hood does offer excellent protection with no reduction in quality and is another option. :)

Sony A6500, A6000, Apeman A80, & a bunch of Lenses.............  (external link)
click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

slkfis
THREAD ­ STARTER
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 15, 2009 09:33 |  #7

Thanks John B and Xarqi for the replies.
I have a lens hood but wanted to add a protector just because I'm clumsy sometimes.

The filter article shows me what to buy.

Wow, I never realized rodinal was so perceptive!!

thxs all

slkfis

Canon 40D

sponsored links

685 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Filter
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.