Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 May 2009 (Friday) 19:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My B&H Alternative - Roberts Imaging

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2009 13:25 |  #16

Thanks David...

Adding them to my rotation of vendors as well

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 16, 2009 13:57 |  #17

Is this a major warehouse type store, or are we talking strip-mall retail store? Trying to get an idea of the scale of this business' operation.

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,275 posts
Gallery: 199 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 16, 2009 14:08 |  #18

Well it has been almost 36 hours and I have not yet heard from them that it has been shipped, which seems kind of strange to me. I have just emailed them to ask if the item was actually in stock.

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

joove
471 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 16, 2009 14:15 as a reply to  @ ozziepuppy's post |  #19

Well, sometimes they ship and it and brown gets it home before I even get the mail from them.

After verifying that they were an authorized canon dealer I have so far purchased a 24-105 (back when it first came out) and more recently a 50D. They are very good people to deal with. They are a smaller operation and I'd like to help them grow into bigger competition for the NY stores when I can, especially as they are closer to me in CA :-)

I usually get my stuff from amazon but switch to B&H (and always price compare with Roberts) only when amazon is out of stock.

Vamsi
Gear list

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 16, 2009 14:34 |  #20

SteveNC wrote in post #7933484 (external link)
Is this a major warehouse type store, or are we talking strip-mall retail store?

Their downtown store is neither - probably a 5000 square foot store.

Google Maps street view (external link). It's the door entrance next to the alley.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

claybuster
723 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 16, 2009 14:58 |  #21

ozziepuppy wrote in post #7933527 (external link)
Well it has been almost 36 hours and I have not yet heard from them that it has been shipped, which seems kind of strange to me. I have just emailed them to ask if the item was actually in stock.

Why don't you call them? They have the phone number listed on the page. I called before ordering to make sure they had a 50d and Bg-e2n grip in stock before I ordered.

MY GEAR
Whatever you are, be a good one- Abraham Lincoln

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

May 16, 2009 16:23 |  #22

Karl C wrote in post #7933635 (external link)
Their downtown store is neither - probably a 5000 square foot store.

Google Maps street view (external link). It's the door entrance next to the alley.

Yeah, but according to the sign on the bridge, they are in the Wholesale District, so that must mean their prices are good :)

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

May 16, 2009 16:33 |  #23

ozziepuppy wrote in post #7933527 (external link)

Marci, have a little patience. When I said that I ordered my stuff that morning, what I didn't tell you was that it was at 2:00 am in the morning (bad stuff happens when I stay up late). What that meant is that the order was waiting for them first thing in the morning, before they even opened up.

Do understand that on smaller shops that it take time for them to even get you order. Often times, smaller camera stores will pay someonelse to host their website and take orders for them. Then the hoster will send orders to the camera store. This takes time.

As you have seen above, Roberts is not a huge warehouse type shop. They are a smaller mom & pop shop. You sent your order on a Friday. It is highly possible that they just didn't get to it in time. Most places I know have an order cutoff where orders placed past a certain time of day won't get fulfilled until the next business day. I almost guarantee you that the order will ship on Monday if it didn't ship on Friday.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 16, 2009 21:37 |  #24

Robert's is one of the best places out there.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,275 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 16, 2009 23:16 |  #25

BigBlueDodge wrote in post #7934122 (external link)
Marci, have a little patience. When I said that I ordered my stuff that morning, what I didn't tell you was that it was at 2:00 am in the morning (bad stuff happens when I stay up late). What that meant is that the order was waiting for them first thing in the morning, before they even opened up.

Do understand that on smaller shops that it take time for them to even get you order. Often times, smaller camera stores will pay someonelse to host their website and take orders for them. Then the hoster will send orders to the camera store. This takes time.

As you have seen above, Roberts is not a huge warehouse type shop. They are a smaller mom & pop shop. You sent your order on a Friday. It is highly possible that they just didn't get to it in time. Most places I know have an order cutoff where orders placed past a certain time of day won't get fulfilled until the next business day. I almost guarantee you that the order will ship on Monday if it didn't ship on Friday.

Oh. OK. ;)

Marci
Gear

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

May 16, 2009 23:47 |  #26

BTW, you will love the 100mm Macro. I sold one because it just set in my bag. Looking back, I should have just kept it. It's an amazingly sharp lens. I am actually still contemplating buying one from Roberts. They are still selling it at the old price of $490 while everyone else is selling it for $525 (before rebates).

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 17, 2009 01:24 |  #27

I've never used them myself, but some higher-profile photogs I know swear by them.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,275 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 17, 2009 10:28 |  #28

BigBlueDodge wrote in post #7935732 (external link)
BTW, you will love the 100mm Macro. I sold one because it just set in my bag. Looking back, I should have just kept it. It's an amazingly sharp lens. I am actually still contemplating buying one from Roberts. They are still selling it at the old price of $490 while everyone else is selling it for $525 (before rebates).

Yes, I agree. I used to have one. Then I sold it to buy the 60mm Macro because I figured I would never go to FF. Then I bought a 5DMkII (go figure) and had to sell the 60mm Macro because it would not work on the FF. Now I am back to buying another 100mm Macro. Sigh. I am really looking forward to having a macro lens again! [And yes, I CAN be somewhat impatient! ("Lord, please give me patience and please give it to me NOW!" LOL)]

Marci
Gear

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,084 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 17, 2009 10:58 |  #29

BigBlueDodge wrote in post #7935732 (external link)

if you are going to buy a dust collector may i suggest the 50 1.8 :D?

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,275 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 17, 2009 14:11 |  #30

ed rader wrote in post #7937444 (external link)
if you are going to buy a dust collector may i suggest the 50 1.8 :D?

ed rader

Bought it. Sold it. :p

Marci
Gear

sponsored links

3,972 views & 0 likes for this thread
My B&H Alternative - Roberts Imaging
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.