Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 May 2009 (Saturday) 06:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Half-stop ISOs (1250, 2000 etc.) what are these?

EOSNewbie
215 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 17, 2009 07:41 as a reply to  @ post 7936731 |  #31

It's my understanding that the ISO on a digital sensor is determined by how much electricity the sensor is charged with. Where is the information coming from that says the intermediate stops are 'pushed' or 'pulled' with software? It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to design a processor to manipulate an image when the same processor can simply increase a voltage parameter to the circuitry feeding the sensor, thus increasing or decreasing the ISO.

It may be software that calculates the voltage required for each ISO selected, but overall there should be no difference in how the sensor receives it's voltage. Basically what I'm reading here is that for Native ISO's, the camera has circuitry to send a certain voltage directly to the sensor, while the intermediate ISO's process the image differently. I can't get my head around the possibility that Canon doesn't simply line up a few more tiny resistors, or capacitors to achieve the ISO, but instead uses software and processing power at the processor to achieve the same thing.

???

My Gear

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,467 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 17, 2009 08:57 |  #32

EOSNewbie wrote in post #7936822 (external link)
It's my understanding that the ISO on a digital sensor is determined by how much electricity the sensor is charged with. Where is the information coming from that says the intermediate stops are 'pushed' or 'pulled' with software? It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to design a processor to manipulate an image when the same processor can simply increase a voltage parameter to the circuitry feeding the sensor, thus increasing or decreasing the ISO.

It may be software that calculates the voltage required for each ISO selected, but overall there should be no difference in how the sensor receives it's voltage. Basically what I'm reading here is that for Native ISO's, the camera has circuitry to send a certain voltage directly to the sensor, while the intermediate ISO's process the image differently. I can't get my head around the possibility that Canon doesn't simply line up a few more tiny resistors, or capacitors to achieve the ISO, but instead uses software and processing power at the processor to achieve the same thing.

???

This information has been stated and restated so frequently that I thought it had reached the status of "things that are just generally known." However, if you want an authoritative source maybe this will do:
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=7465918&po​stcount=13

However, I think your understanding of how the CMOS sensor works is a bit off. The photon absorbing and voltage outputting top layer of the chip has just one never-changing sensitivity. Its output is amplified 2x, 4x, 8x, etc. to acheive higher levels of "effective" sensitivity. In expensive cameras a second stage of amplification provides the intermediate steps and in cheaper cameras it is done later, after the analog/digital conversion. The reason is is simple business economics; it cost nothing to do one more digital manipulation of the data, but more complex chips are more expensive.

Elie / אלי

Panopeeper
774 posts
Joined May 2008

May 17, 2009 10:59 |  #33

Pandya wrote in post #7936578 (external link)
Native ISOs are the sensitivies the imaging sensor in the camera actually provides, natively

LOL, this is a great discovery. However, there is only one native sensitivity of a sensor.

More accurately, there is no such thing as sensor sensitivity, that is a creature of the processing. The related characteristic of the sensor is the quantum efficiency.

Gabor

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 17, 2009 11:13 |  #34

I tend to avoid over thinking things and simply set what seems to be right given a certain situation. I have more important things to think about than signal to noise ratio most of the time.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 17, 2009 12:13 |  #35

In the purest sense, YES...

Panopeeper wrote in post #7937450 (external link)
LOL, this is a great discovery. However, there is only one native sensitivity of a sensor.

More accurately, there is no such thing as sensor sensitivity, that is a creature of the processing. The related characteristic of the sensor is the quantum efficiency.

...If you call analog-gain levels a part of that "processing" too, well, I would have to fully agree.

Moreover, I am not sure if ISO per-se should actually exist in Digital Photography. A sensor, as whole, is free from the dreadful limitations of film (in most respects), and therefore has the potential to simplify the exposure process to only Shutter Speed and Aperture, in principle.

Nevertheless, I just wanted to THANK YOU for your non-nonsense approach and your overall analysis which are definitely the most appropriate and sound for evaluating advantages between implementations. In any case, keep in mind that our final results are delivered in the RGB domain and, at the end of the day, we are interested in those advantages and benefits that effectively survive, once they emerge and show-up in the RGB arena.

BTW, gotta love that RGB Analyzer...

PIX

Click here for FlexNR-Professional Noise Reduction for EOS 1D3
CPS Member/ 2x1DMKIII/ 70D/ Pentax MX
300mm f/2.8 L II IS/ 24mm f/1.4 L II/ 35mm f/2.0 IS/ 17-40 f/4 L/ 24-105 f/4 L IS / 70-200 f/4 L IS
270EX/ 580EX/ 580EX II/ ST-E2/ CP-E3
HP Z800 x2 XEON, x12 Core/ EIZO CG241W/ Viewsonic VP930b

Panopeeper
774 posts
Joined May 2008

May 17, 2009 13:50 |  #36

PIXmantra wrote in post #7937802 (external link)
...If you call analog-gain levels a part of that "processing" too, well, I would have to fully agree

Of course that's what I meant. However, it is not useful to include more details, for that process is hardware specific (and I am not a HW guy anyway).

I am not sure if ISO per-se should actually exist in Digital Photography

There is a need for a component to "relativate" the exposure. Nevertheless, the concept is thoroughly messed up. Orginally it refers to a certain grey level appearing with a certain intensity in the output. Yeah, what is the output? Raw? In camera JPEG?

But that's the smaller problem. Even when talking about raw only, how does one define the output level? The fake ISOs increase the output level - but they are not really different than increasing the intensity in raw processing. Now, should the result of the fake (numerically derivated) ISO be accepted? Then "pushing" in raw processing has to be accepted as well.

The MFDBs do not fake the ISO like DSLRs, they do not multiply the pixel values; instead, they simply record, that the "ISO expectation" is let's say 800. It is the task of the raw processor to automatically adjust the intensity. Is this equivalent to the "real ISO"? The raw image data is absolutely identical with ISO100, 200, 400, 800 - so how can we talk about different ISOs?

Gabor

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 17, 2009 17:17 |  #37

cdifoto wrote in post #7937514 (external link)
I tend to avoid over thinking things and simply set what seems to be right given a certain situation.

+1.

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 17, 2009 18:39 |  #38

I tend to avoid over thinking things and simply set what seems to be right given a certain situation. I have more important things to think about than signal to noise ratio most of the time.

True, but to me its useful to know that, for example, ISO 500 will be be more noisy than ISO 640.

Gear List

Michael

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 17, 2009 18:39 |  #39

tzalman wrote in post #7936359 (external link)
The chart below illustrates it. (Prepared for the 40D by John Sheehy.) The amount of noise caused by increased electronic amplification of the ISO does not increase linearly. The difference between 100 and 200 is only 112% while the difference between 800 and 1600 is 170%. At the same time, the pushed ISOs (125, 250, 500, 1000) will always be noisier than the amplified ISOs from which they are derived (100, 200, etc.) and the pulled ISOs (160, 320, 640, 1250) will always be cleaner then their sources (200, 400, etc.) In fact, pushing 100 to 125 does more damage than amplifying it to 200 and pulling 200 to 160 more than overcomes the increased noise caused by the amplification. However, because of the big jump in noise from 800 to 1600, 800 pushed to 1000 is about the same as 1600 pulled down to 1250. 1000 gives you almost half a stop more dynamic range but 1250 allows a slightly faster shutter.

This should be a sticky somewhere. Thanks. I knew I had seen that somewhere - now I remember coming across John's posts on dpreview.

Gear List

Michael

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 18, 2009 06:49 |  #40

I don't know the technical answer to your question. I dont worry about noise at any ISO. I use whatever gets the shot then use Noiseware. Works great and there is a free version.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 18, 2009 07:03 as a reply to  @ HoosierJoe's post |  #41

Exactly.

versedmb wrote in post #7939369 (external link)
True, but to me its useful to know that, for example, ISO 500 will be be more noisy than ISO 640.

Have you ever shot with film?

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 18, 2009 10:03 |  #42

versedmb wrote in post #7939369 (external link)

Karl C wrote in post #7942207 (external link)
Have you ever shot with film?

I fail to understand the point.

Panopeeper
774 posts
Joined May 2008

May 18, 2009 10:19 |  #43

jr_senator wrote in post #7943059 (external link)
I fail to understand the point.

I wonder why Karl is shooting with a 5D instead of for example with a Powershot A640, or at most with a 10D.

Gabor

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 18, 2009 10:27 |  #44

Panopeeper wrote in post #7943168 (external link)
I wonder why Karl is shooting with a 5D instead of for example with a Powershot A640, or at most with a 10D.

Damn, another point I fail to understand.

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 18, 2009 12:20 |  #45

jr_senator wrote in post #7943202 (external link)
Damn, another point I fail to understand.

Ditto. ;)

Gear List

Michael

sponsored links

4,637 views & 0 likes for this thread
Half-stop ISOs (1250, 2000 etc.) what are these?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.