Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Guest
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

 
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 May 2009 (Saturday) 06:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Half-stop ISOs (1250, 2000 etc.) what are these?

 
Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Likes: 1
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"
     
May 18, 2009 12:21 |  #46

jr_senator wrote in post #7943059 (external link)
I fail to understand the point.

Hindsight being 20/10, the point of my comment is not important. :D

Panopeeper wrote in post #7943168 (external link)
I wonder why Karl is shooting with a 5D instead of for example with a Powershot A640, or at most with a 10D.

I wonder why Panopeeper took upon himself/herself to judge who here needs to shoot with what. I must have missed the all-important memo stating Pano was anointed "Judge". :rolleyes:

jr_senator wrote in post #7943202 (external link)
Damn, another point I fail to understand.

Makes two of us. It's possible that individual took exception to my film comment.


Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Likes: 4
Joined Apr 2006
     
May 18, 2009 12:21 |  #47

Karl C wrote in post #7942207 (external link)
Have you ever shot with film?

yea, of course film is worse, but knowing that ISO 640 is less noisy than ISO 500 is useful info to me.


Gear List

Michael

  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
jr_senator
Goldmember
Avatar
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006
     
May 18, 2009 13:10 |  #48

versedmb wrote in post #7943892 (external link)
yea, of course film is worse, but knowing that ISO 640 is less noisy than ISO 500 is useful info to me.

Why ask about film? Surely ISO 640 would have more (or louder) grain than ISO 500. It's interesting but not useful to me either. I shoot 95% at ISO 100 and if I feel the need at ISO 400 the rest of the 5%. I suppose for others that use higher ISOs and/or a number of ISOs may find it useful.



  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Likes: 1
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"
     
May 18, 2009 14:35 |  #49

versedmb wrote in post #7943892 (external link)
yea, of course film is worse, but knowing that ISO 640 is less noisy than ISO 500 is useful info to me.

Interesting, I've never seen that happen. My experience would indicate 500 having less grain than 640.

jr_senator wrote in post #7944137 (external link)
Why ask about film? Surely ISO 640 would have more (or louder) grain than ISO 500. It's interesting but not useful to me either. I shoot 95% at ISO 100 and if I feel the need at ISO 400 the rest of the 5%. I suppose for others that use higher ISOs and/or a number of ISOs may find it useful.

I find the correlation between film and digital helpful when discussing grain. It's a baseline reference for me.

However, I am like you - prefer to stay in low ISOs when possible; only increasing when necessary. It's rare I'm above 800. But, like others posted, use whatever settings are needed to get the shot. Be it 100, 125, 250, etc.

It's all good.


Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
Panopeeper
Senior Member
774 posts
Joined May 2008
     
May 18, 2009 22:23 |  #50

Karl C wrote in post #7943890 (external link)
I wonder why Panopeeper took upon himself/herself to judge who here needs to shoot with what. I must have missed the all-important memo stating Pano was anointed "Judge"

Your lack of reading comprehension is almost freightening. Unfortunately, this is quite characteristic for such forums.


Gabor

  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
dafriz
Member
96 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Location: Canada
     
May 20, 2009 14:07 |  #51

On the 40D, it seems that some of the intermediate ISO's may actually be advantageous. ISO 320 has only a slightly larger amount of noise than ISO 200, and a fair bit less noise than either ISO 250 or ISO 400.

http://canonphotogroup​.com/misc/test1.png (external link)


7D w/ grip, 10-22, 24-105, 100-400, 50/1.8 II, 430EX II -- (40D w/ grip, XT, 18-55, 28-135, 55-200)

  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Likes: 4
Joined Apr 2006
     
May 20, 2009 14:13 |  #52

jr_senator wrote in post #7944137 (external link)
Why ask about film? Surely ISO 640 would have more (or louder) grain than ISO 500. It's interesting but not useful to me either. I shoot 95% at ISO 100 and if I feel the need at ISO 400 the rest of the 5%. I suppose for others that use higher ISOs and/or a number of ISOs may find it useful.

No, that's just the point - you have it backwards. ISO 640 is better than ISO 500, which is certianly not intuitive.


Gear List

Michael

  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
jr_senator
Goldmember
Avatar
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006
     
May 20, 2009 16:52 |  #53

versedmb wrote in post #7957815 (external link)
No, that's just the point - you have it backwards. ISO 640 is better than ISO 500, which is certianly not intuitive.

You do understand I was referring to film, correct? And if not correct please give an example.



  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,638 views & 0 likes for this thread
Half-stop ISOs (1250, 2000 etc.) what are these?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
x 1600
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!


COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.


POWERED BY AMASS forum software 2.1forum software
version 2.1 /
code and design
by Pekka Saarinen ©
for photography-on-the.net

Latest registered member is xDeeKayx
1004 guests, 241 members online
Simultaneous users record so far is 15144, that happened on Nov 22, 2018

Photography-on-the.net Digital Photography Forums is the website for photographers and all who love great photos, camera and post processing techniques, gear talk, discussion and sharing. Professionals, hobbyists, newbies and those who don't even own a camera -- all are welcome regardless of skill, favourite brand, gear, gender or age. Registering and usage is free.