Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 May 2009 (Saturday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A few good reasons why there is not a lens adapter for every lens??

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 16, 2009 16:00 |  #1

why is it there is not some manufacturer that makes an adapter that will let one use every lens ever made on a Canon??

They did it with USB ...

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

sponsored links
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 16, 2009 16:09 |  #2

There are adapters that will adapt almost any lens to fit a Canon EOS body. Just not universal ones, and you only have manual focus.

The problem is that lenses are designed for particular bodies, and have varying distances from the rear element to the sensor. Sometimes they either stick in too far and hit the mirror or you cannot properly focus the lens at infinity, etc.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 16, 2009 16:49 |  #3

The issue is register distance. If a lens has a longer distance then you can easily convert/adapt it to use on an EOS body. However, if you have a LSM (Leica screw mount for example) lens, the lens would only focus to infinity (and most all other distances) if it was mounted inside of the Canon body. I.E. not possible.

GEAR LIST

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

May 16, 2009 17:36 |  #4

DDCSD wrote in post #7934040 (external link)
There are adapters that will adapt almost any lens to fit a Canon EOS body. Just not universal ones, and you only have manual focus.

The problem is that lenses are designed for particular bodies, and have varying distances from the rear element to the sensor. Sometimes they either stick in too far and hit the mirror or you cannot properly focus the lens at infinity, etc.

or in the case of Canon FD lenses, the base is too close to the same size as EF lenses so there's no room for an adapter.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 17, 2009 23:45 |  #5

It makes sence I guess..
Would be nice if they would all use the same mount but that will never happen I am sure.
I bet one day we will see a no name camera body show up that will have interchangable mounts that will let you use any type of lens, but then if you think about it ... why?

todays glass is way better than most old stuff anyway .

hereI go answering my own questions again....

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,321 posts
Gallery: 510 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 17, 2009 23:48 |  #6

shayneyasinski wrote in post #7941055 (external link)
It makes sence I guess..
Would be nice if they would all use the same mount but that will never happen I am sure.
I bet one day we will see a no name camera body show up that will have interchangable mounts that will let you use any type of lens, but then if you think about it ... why?

It exists already, the RED can use Canon EF-mount, Nikon F-mount or RED's own mount

With the EF mount you can mount just about every lens ever made to begin with...and the F-mount option is fully electronic and supports G-type Nikkors as well [Theres rumors a few of RED's lenses are designed secretly by Nikon..]

Keep in mind however, a RED is a VERY expensive piece of equipment

The reason its so hard is because camera makers MAKE it hard, They want you to buy THEIR lenses, not someone elses...They want to lock you into a system because when you're invested into a system its very expensive/hard to switch to someone else..or sometimes its engineering ideas..

Canon for instance designed the EF mount to be completely free of any mechanical couplings, and also wanted a large mount diameter, This is why Canon has lenses like the 24mm f/1.4, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.2 [and 50mm f/1.0] 85mm f/1.2, 200mm f/1.8, 200mm f/2 and ETC because simply, they can be made a bit bigger around...These lenses are a bargain compared to comparable lenses on other systems [The only other 85mm f/1.2 I know of is a Zeiss one that costs 3x the amount of the Canon...The only other 50mm f/1 is the Leica Noctilux which isnt even an SLR lens and is over $7k used!]

I'm not sure why placing the mount closer to the film plane is better..but im sure theres a few reasons...I think it has to do with less light loss [Since the light has to travel less distance] and i believe it also has sharpness advantages [Rangefinder lenses often almost touch the film plane for instance and are usually shockingly sharp]

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 17, 2009 23:52 |  #7

Oh, and the main reason is that the camera makers make almost nothing on the camera bodies. They make most of their money in lenses and accessories. A camera that is not locked into a certain lens system would have to be priced very high for them to make any money, because they're not likely to sell you very many lenses. :)

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 18, 2009 14:49 |  #8

KenjiS wrote in post #7941067 (external link)
It exists already, the RED can use Canon EF-mount, Nikon F-mount or RED's own mount

With the EF mount you can mount just about every lens ever made to begin with...and the F-mount option is fully electronic and supports G-type Nikkors as well [Theres rumors a few of RED's lenses are designed secretly by Nikon..]

Keep in mind however, a RED is a VERY expensive piece of equipment

The reason its so hard is because camera makers MAKE it hard, They want you to buy THEIR lenses, not someone elses...They want to lock you into a system because when you're invested into a system its very expensive/hard to switch to someone else..or sometimes its engineering ideas..

Canon for instance designed the EF mount to be completely free of any mechanical couplings, and also wanted a large mount diameter, This is why Canon has lenses like the 24mm f/1.4, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.2 [and 50mm f/1.0] 85mm f/1.2, 200mm f/1.8, 200mm f/2 and ETC because simply, they can be made a bit bigger around...These lenses are a bargain compared to comparable lenses on other systems [The only other 85mm f/1.2 I know of is a Zeiss one that costs 3x the amount of the Canon...The only other 50mm f/1 is the Leica Noctilux which isnt even an SLR lens and is over $7k used!]

I'm not sure why placing the mount closer to the film plane is better..but im sure theres a few reasons...I think it has to do with less light loss [Since the light has to travel less distance] and i believe it also has sharpness advantages [Rangefinder lenses often almost touch the film plane for instance and are usually shockingly sharp]

the red is a pro video camera is it not?

I know a guy that worked with one and it blows away 35mm film video!
$20 000 for basic kit I think it said?

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,321 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 18, 2009 14:52 |  #9

shayneyasinski wrote in post #7944676 (external link)
the red is a pro video camera is it not?

I know a guy that worked with one and it blows away 35mm film video!
$20 000 for basic kit I think it said?

It can also do stills in some configurations

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 18, 2009 16:03 |  #10

http://www.red.com/ (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,321 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 18, 2009 16:15 |  #11

shayneyasinski wrote in post #7945138 (external link)
http://www.red.com/ (external link)

They have a 25-100 f/2.8 for FF35 [IE, 35mm or what we here call "Full Frame" :D]

They also seem to treat their customers well with that upgrade package they offer people with Red ONE cameras

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 18, 2009 17:06 |  #12

shayneyasinski wrote in post #7941055 (external link)
It makes sence I guess..

That's debatable...

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 18, 2009 17:15 |  #13

argyle wrote in post #7945400 (external link)
That's debatable...

Agreed.

To the OP, check here and here (external link) to see samples from other lenses (manual focus) mounted on native bodies.

Some of the lenses are much better than native lenses.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 18, 2009 22:45 |  #14

argyle wrote in post #7945400 (external link)
That's debatable...

let me dig here....
todays glass has auto focus and may be a little easier to use.

Rodinal
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 18, 2009 22:52 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

shayneyasinski wrote in post #7934004 (external link)
why is it there is not some manufacturer that makes an adapter that will let one use every lens ever made on a Canon??

They did it with USB ...

No, they didn't. USB doesn't guarantee that the thing will work with every machine. You still need a different driver for each.

So even if you have the same mount, every lens has software on the chips inside it (mostly for AF-ing). Then you must get the whole industry to agree on a single communication language between the camera software and the lens software.

1D Mark II • 16-35/2.8L mk I • 24-70L • 70-200/2.8L IS • 50/1.8 • 24-85 • 400/5.6L • 430EX

sponsored links

1,799 views & 0 likes for this thread
A few good reasons why there is not a lens adapter for every lens??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.