Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 May 2009 (Monday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 Reasons You Chose Canon

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 18, 2009 20:34 |  #1

Ok, lets hear it..the 3 reasons you chose Canon in the first place...

I came from Nikon circa 2005....I decided I wanted to be serious with my photography and upgrade my crap mismatched collection of gear into an actual system....Since I had to rebuy all my lenses with Nikon due to compatibility issues...I decided to include the option of switching to Canon

1. USM lenses that were affordable, and most lenses had USM drive whereas most Nikons did not [And STILL dont]

2. EOS-3 was cheaper than an F100 [$500 with grip versus $750 body only]

3. 45-point AF, and Canon AF in general was just BETTER than my N70, N75 or D70 at the time..

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
sol95
661 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 18, 2009 20:37 |  #2

I was originally a Nikon shooter. but when I decided to make the jump to digital, the only real factor was this:

STAFF DISCOUNTS! hehe

Since making the jump though, I've realised the lens selection is much better with Canon, and so prefer Canon over Nikon. :)

Bodies: 5D mk III
Lenses: 50 f/1.2L | 85 f/1.2L II | 100 f/2.8L IS Macro | 17-40 f/4.0L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Accessories: 430EX II | TC-80N3 M43: Olympus E-PM1 | Olympus m.Zuiko 14-42 II R | Panasonic 14 f/2.5 | Panasonic 20 f/1.8 | Olympus m.Zuiko 45 f/1.8

deletedpenguin
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 18, 2009 20:39 |  #3

1. Familiarity. I've used Canon camcorders (GL2) and other camera equipment in the past. I've never had issues, and felt more comfortable going with Canon over Nikon.

2. Current pricing.

3. White lenses look cool.

Stefan | StefanPetersen.com.au (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 18, 2009 20:40 |  #4

Reason I bought my first Canon?

I bought a film Rebel probably 10 years ago, and chose Canon because my father had a Canon SLR and my friend had a Canon SLR.

Reason I moved to a Canon DSLR?

My first DSLR was a Canon Rebel (original 300D) which I bought because I was already familiar with Canon, and it was the best cheap DSLR at the time.

Reason I stay?

I like my Canon bodies, and LOVE my Canon lenses. I like the way Canon's are laid out over all the crazy buttons that Nikon has. Just a good fit for me.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

May 18, 2009 20:41 |  #5

Simple -
1. A well known, famous, worldwide camera maker with a wide variety of models and accessories with a reputation for excellence and superb service
2. A vast array of bodies, lenses and accessories to meet the requirement of just about everyone up to and including professionals.
3. A camera for every budget, and without exception, they all take excellent photographs.
However these reasons don't exclusively belong to Canon.
John

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 18, 2009 20:41 |  #6

Full frame, noise, lens lineup. Done.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

May 18, 2009 20:48 |  #7

Hmmm...well...

Started with a Minolta Maxxum 50 back in 6th grade and wanted to upgrade to a Nikon N80. Lost interest in photography and gained interest again. Since I heard a lot of talk about the XSi I got that and actually came to regret it since I liked the Nikon bodies, but liked Canon again when I saw Nikons lens prices (and came to realize the ergonomics of the Rebel bodies suck while the other bodies are the opposite of this)...

So...

1. Uneducated purchase

And reason I'm sticking with Canon...

2. Selection of lenses/Lower lens cost than Nikon

3. Ergonomics of everything that's not a Rebel

Sorry about rambling on there :oops:

Gear List
ACCD

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 18, 2009 20:48 as a reply to  @ deletedpenguin's post |  #8

1. 30D was superior to D80 at high ISO

2. Ergonomics of the XXD line.

3. Nikon didn't have plans to make a FF camera at the time, and I figured (correctly) that I might want a FF camera in the future.

Lens lineup didn't really factor into my decision at the time. I started out with a 50 1.4, knowing that I wanted to shoot concerts, but I wasn't really thinking about expanding or high end gear at the time. I do think that Canon's lineup of affordable (stepping stone) AF primes has significantly contributed to both my gear acquisition syndrome and my addiction to photography in general.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

johnboy00
201 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 18, 2009 20:52 |  #9

1. Great lenses, some of which I can afford. :)
2. Familiarity. I started with an EOS 5 back in 1997, and the main controls haven't changed.
3. Great results.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 18, 2009 20:55 |  #10

I picked up a Nikon first, I thought it's what I would buy, it felt awkward and I wasn't all that excited using it nor looking through it and didn't like the groundglass and the markings on it. I also found the buttons and menu counter intuitive and I kind of put it down and stared at it for a minute before the salesman said maybe I might like to look at something else and that something else was a Canon, I knew they were popular but I'd been a Nikon shooter with film for a very long time and was loyal.

The canon fit right comfortably in my hands, I went ahhhhh when I put my eye up to the eyepiece and from there on everything felt more intuitive and I left the store with a Canon and L lens and have never regretted it.

I have since shot my friends 300D and have the same issues and all the crap I see on the groundglass (lines for framing focus squares etc. ) are extremely irritating to the point of distraction. I don't like using it, I feel uncomfortable using it but it takes great photos.

But there is nothing that excites me more than the MKIII to use, it's not a camera I sit back, look at it and think about how wonderful it is, it's a camera I see it, I right away pick it up and shoot something, even if it's just my sink, okay I may open or close the curtains to make the light look better on the sink but the point is it's a camera that I love using.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

lalelulelo
79 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 18, 2009 21:04 |  #11

deletedpenguin wrote in post #7946638 (external link)
3. White lenses look cool.

I honestly think this is reason #1 for many people.

SOT
I make up stuff about Cameras
915 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 18, 2009 21:07 |  #12

Full Frame Body
Work had Canon
The job spec at the time required Canon

http://img81.imageshac​k.us/img81/8646/captur​e1o.jpg (external link)

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2009 21:07 as a reply to  @ lalelulelo's post |  #13

5D
lens selection
because "noink" is an annoying sound?

I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed.
~ Garry Winogrand

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,860 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 18, 2009 21:10 as a reply to  @ SOT's post |  #14

3 best reasons i could think of

35L
85L
135L

THE 70-200 F/2.8 is WOULD BE THE BEST REASON,,LOVE THAT THING PLUS IS WHITEbw!

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Fidelio
77 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 18, 2009 21:29 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #15

^^Nice.

I already knew the system when it was time to go digital (first serious camera was an Elan IIe, and I had played around with an old Canonet that my parents had). Pretty much the only reason, now that I think of it.

Canon Digital Rebel XTi | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX DC | Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 EX DG | Sigma 30 f/1.4 EX DC | Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro
Canon EF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 USM V | Canon EF 50 f/1.4

sponsored links

16,053 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 Reasons You Chose Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.