Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 May 2009 (Monday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 Reasons You Chose Canon

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 19, 2009 01:15 |  #46

1) Awesome and wide selection of professional grade glass that is more affordable.
2) The red ring around my Lenses :D Attracts more attention than I would like, especially with my 70-200.

The camera body race goes back and forth. Some years Canon will be better and others Nikon will. The differences are negligible and both can produce excellent professional quality pictures. It's not the equipment, it's you! I've seen pictures that come out better from a 10D owner with good lenses compared to some using a 1DsIII.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 19, 2009 01:18 |  #47

I really don't have 3 reasons. I'd only used a Canon before and I liked it so I got it straight away. Glad I did :)

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

May 19, 2009 01:19 |  #48

KenjiS wrote in post #7948138 (external link)
I generally dont touch much Sony..

The PS3 is currently the only Sony item I own...

Admittedly the only LCD TVs I like are Sonys...but I'd rather have a Panasonic Plasma over them [Though the burn-in scares me] Currently I have a Samsung DLP I intend to hang on to for as long as I can get bulbs for it..I actually dont like that many LCD TVs..any in what I'd spend for a TV [Less than $2000 for a 50" screen] Dont really look -better- than my DLP to me...if i had the money I'd order a new DLP right now while I still can!

I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player..and a Toshiba HD-DVD player [Yes I lost that format war]

Sound, Sony sucks it, I go Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo or Pioneer

Portable audio, screw Sony, I have an iPhone

Computers..Sony tries to be the Apple of the PC world but more expensive with crippled machines that are fragile...

Cameras....I had a Sony point and shoot, had to recharge it constantly [It went for maybe 90 shots before dying..without flash..i actually put lithium AAs in it instead of using the rechargeable because they lasted longer] the image quality was crap, it couldnt expose the most basic scenes properly, it had so much noise even at low ISOs that the pictures looked aweful, the viewfinder made my eye bleed, the IS sucked, it uses proprietary memory that I AM STILL STUCK WITH....

My girlfriend's primary camera at the moment is a Sony, its usually dead, she uses it for a couple days and its dead...That said, my girlfriend's camera does take some really good quality images...

SLRs...I admit to having a liking for the Carl Zeiss glass and the ergonomics on the a700 are just superb, at their core they're not terribly bad products, I just do not think I'd trust their service or support worth a damn....Also I've heard a few peoples Sony gear fried out after a year and a half, Compared to my 30D which is '05 Vintage and still hanging in there after well over 10,000 shutter actuations...well..

Phones...I had a Sony Ericsson phone once...it zapped me in the middle of a conversation...

Seriously, Zap, right into my ear...

Wasnt a bad phone before then, and my mom prefers Sony Ericssons to Nokias [She hated the Nokia N75 I told her to get...and the Nokia E62 I gave her as a present] and has had generally good luck with them

Headphones, ^#$# em, I have Sennheisers, see also Grado and Denon

Speakers, Sony sucks, Definitive Technologies, Polk Audio, Klipsch...

Anything Sony does, other people do better generally and for less money...

Funnily enough, back in the UK, Sony had, I think, a good reputation as a manufacturer, but the moment I moved to Japan, it was like swearing! If you didn't love (at the time) "National" - the real name, until very recently for Panasonic - there was something wrong with you!

Which is why our Plasma is "National", DVD-player is "National"........even our washing machine is "National"!

But for dSLRs....Canon is King!
:D

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 19, 2009 01:28 |  #49

I always get a chuckle out of how different marks are perceived/used in other places.

Budwieser: USA = Panther P*ss .. In some other countries = Imported Nectar (Really!)
Mercedes: USA = Luxury Car .. In some (many) other countries they're just Taxi Cabs

Any other cross over impressions others can add?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 19, 2009 01:32 |  #50

Canon gear is made more for the amateur
Canon let me shoot like a dick and still get good results like a P&S
Canon does silver bodies and white lenses which match my wife's handbag and shoes

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

sandro9mm
Goldmember
1,718 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 19, 2009 01:37 |  #51

erm, at time it was faster better stronger...

1. Price
2. High ISO
3. All people with Nikons seemed to be preaks

Photography Tips (external link) - Learn photography now!
Famous photographers (external link) - Video Interviews, photos, biography
My gear (external link)

5x5 ­ photography
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 19, 2009 01:44 |  #52

My mother was a professional photographer for a number of years and recommended Canon (as did a few of my friends).
I used the Nikon D80 and 40D and between the two I liked the 40D better.
Lens line up.

My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/ (external link)

samurairx7
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 19, 2009 01:44 |  #53

I own a n95 8gb phone can i technically say i own a carl zeiss len?

Lol

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Gallery: 555 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 19, 2009 01:46 |  #54

skygod44 wrote in post #7948212 (external link)
Funnily enough, back in the UK, Sony had, I think, a good reputation as a manufacturer, but the moment I moved to Japan, it was like swearing! If you didn't love (at the time) "National" - the real name, until very recently for Panasonic - there was something wrong with you!

Which is why our Plasma is "National", DVD-player is "National"........even our washing machine is "National"!

But for dSLRs....Canon is King!
:D

Ah I like Panasonic actually...I like them a lot..

The ONLY flat panel TV I saw that I loved the picture on enough to really lust for it was a Panasonic 1080p plasma at Best Buy..

I only worry about image retention sometimes...as my DLP gets left on all night sometimes with a windows media player button on the bottom..or for hours on end like that [I forget to switch it off or set the sleep timer..i cant sleep in a silent room..]

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Gallery: 555 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 19, 2009 01:47 |  #55

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #7948228 (external link)
I always get a chuckle out of how different marks are perceived/used in other places.

Budwieser: USA = Panther P*ss .. In some other countries = Imported Nectar (Really!)
Mercedes: USA = Luxury Car .. In some (many) other countries they're just Taxi Cabs

I was on XBL and a British guy remarked "Budweiser...Thats what they get when I have a piss after drinking a Guiness"

We all laughed our asses off

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

ohansen
227 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 19, 2009 02:34 |  #56

1. The FD mount guaranteed to always make the lens fit tightly to the body (lens mount wear was apparently such an issue in those days...)
2. Change hurts.

7D and 60D, Sigma 12-24, Canons 24-105L, 100-400L, 50mm f1.4, 100mm Macro. 580EXII, Elinchrom Skyports, Eye-Fi, Apple Macs, iPhone 3GS, PS4, LR3. Socks and jeans with holes repaired.

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

May 19, 2009 02:34 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #7948228 (external link)

You know, I always heard Buswieser was crap. So I avoided it. But I tried it and it wasn't too bad. I think maybe the stuff they export is better than the stuff they keep in the U.S. Still wasn't very good, but wasn't the total rubbish I thought it would be. Heineken and Carlsberg are worse IMHO.

Budwieser is like cordial that gets you drunk.

sandro9mm wrote in post #7948252 (external link)
erm, at time it was faster better stronger...

1. Price
2. High ISO
3. All people with Nikons seemed to be preaks

and just before...

condyk wrote in post #7948238 (external link)
Canon gear is made more for the amateur
Canon let me shoot like a dick and still get good results like a P&S
Canon does silver bodies and white lenses which match my wife's handbag and shoes

LOL Noinks. :rolleyes:

Sn33zy
79 posts
Joined May 2009

May 19, 2009 03:14 |  #58

1) When I bought my Canon the reviews were all showing that Canon was the best on the market
2) lens line-up is better (gotta love the white lenses :D)
3) my money reached just enough to get the 40D ^^, I was thinking about the 400D till I mentioned my budget to the salesman... saw the 40D, held it, and loved it and still loving it.

www.blackiesphotograph​y.com (external link)
Canon 40D, 17-85mm, 100-400mm L, 50mm 1.4

p32shooter
713 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 19, 2009 04:30 |  #59

lens

lens

did i mention lens?

wants for Ls :D , now have 400do;500f4is,600f4 :cool::cool: off to birding and airshows:):):)

p32shooter
713 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 19, 2009 04:30 |  #60

lens

lens

did i mention lens?

wants for Ls :D , now have 400do;500f4is,600f4 :cool::cool: off to birding and airshows:):):)

sponsored links

15,154 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 Reasons You Chose Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.