Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 May 2009 (Tuesday) 16:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Plunge = Taken (and a question about file format)

mhthomps
227 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 19, 2009 16:42 |  #1

I finally took the plunge and ordered a 5D Mark II. It'll be here tomorrow and I can't wait. After painstakingly researching the best all around zoom lens for it, I decided on the 24-70 f2.8L over the 24-105 f4L. We have our first baby due in August and I figured the 24-70 would be better for indoor shots without flash.

I'm keeping one of my 40Ds as a backup and for when I need over 6 fps.

I should probably start a new post for this, but if I shoot in large fine jpegs, will I be using the 21MP? I shoot in RAW on my 40Ds now, but the file sizes are pretty manageable in Lightroom 2.3 especially after they are converted to DNG. The RAW files on the 5DII must be monsters. Any ideas?

MTJR Photos (external link)
Project 365 Blog (external link)
5DMii | 6D
24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L II IS
Extended Gear List

sponsored links
Luke ­ Cern
926 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 19, 2009 16:50 |  #2

mhthomps wrote in post #7952124 (external link)
I finally took the plunge and ordered a 5D Mark II. It'll be here tomorrow and I can't wait. After painstakingly researching the best all around zoom lens for it, I decided on the 24-70 f2.8L over the 24-105 f4L. We have our first baby due in August and I figured the 24-70 would be better for indoor shots without flash.

I'm keeping one of my 40Ds as a backup and for when I need over 6 fps.

I should probably start a new post for this, but if I shoot in large fine jpegs, will I be using the 21MP? I shoot in RAW on my 40Ds now, but the file sizes are pretty manageable in Lightroom 2.3 especially after they are converted to DNG. The RAW files on the 5DII must be monsters. Any ideas?

Don't be intimidated by the prospect of larget RAW files. A reasonable 2.66ghz Core 2 Duo processor with 4GB of Ram is fine.
Realize that your files are not recognizable to Photoshop unless you upgrade to CS4, but you can use a DNG convertor to solve that if you are using a previous version of PS. Large fine JPEGS are not 21mb.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

May 19, 2009 16:54 |  #3

Jpgs will still use the full 21mp - no worries. However, you'd be best served, in my opinion, to still shoot in RAW. RAW files are montsters though... between 23-33MB a pop.

But, disk space is cheap. If you screw up WB, wouldn't you rather be able to fix it easier - esp when it comes to shots of your new baby?

mhthomps
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 19, 2009 17:07 |  #4

Luke Cern wrote in post #7952168 (external link)
Don't be intimidated by the prospect of larget RAW files. A reasonable 2.66ghz Core 2 Duo processor with 4GB of Ram is fine.
Realize that your files are not recognizable to Photoshop unless you upgrade to CS4, but you can use a DNG convertor to solve that if you are using a previous version of PS. Large fine JPEGS are not 21mb.

I should be in good shape then. I have a Dell Studio QuadCore 8200, 2.33 with 8GB or RAM. I also have Lightroom 2.3 and Photoshop CS4. Should I convert to DNG?

5DMii | 6D
Extended Gear List

mhthomps
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 19, 2009 17:08 |  #5

Todd Lambert wrote in post #7952196 (external link)
Jpgs will still use the full 21mp - no worries. However, you'd be best served, in my opinion, to still shoot in RAW. RAW files are montsters though... between 23-33MB a pop.

But, disk space is cheap. If you screw up WB, wouldn't you rather be able to fix it easier - esp when it comes to shots of your new baby?

Very good point about the WB and the baby!

5DMii | 6D
Extended Gear List

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 19, 2009 19:40 |  #6

Converting to DNG is up to you. They're usually smaller in file size... by a little.

roastpuff
143 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 19, 2009 22:03 |  #7

mhthomps wrote in post #7952256 (external link)
I should be in good shape then. I have a Dell Studio QuadCore 8200, 2.33 with 8GB or RAM. I also have Lightroom 2.3 and Photoshop CS4. Should I convert to DNG?

Why? It serves no purpose, not with the system you've posted here.

I'd even venture to say that you'd have no problem editing the 1080p video the 5DII shoots, hehe.

mhthomps
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 19, 2009 22:13 |  #8

roastpuff wrote in post #7953869 (external link)
Why? It serves no purpose, not with the system you've posted here.

I'd even venture to say that you'd have no problem editing the 1080p video the 5DII shoots, hehe.

Just space conservation. I have an internal 1TB drive that holds all of the RAW files and internal 750GB that runs the OS and applications. Everything is automatically backed up to a ReadyNAS RAID drive with 2 mirrored 1TB drives. The DNGs are about half the size of my CR2s now. Why not hold twice as much if the quality doesn't get affected?

5DMii | 6D
Extended Gear List

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

May 19, 2009 22:18 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Shoot sRAW1 dude. sRAW1 if you're worried about file sizes this is the way to go. They are about 10MP and don't lose quality. More than enough for most things. :)

If you're doing something important, then use proper 21MP RAW. :) This will give you more cropping options (you can crop it down to 40D size - x1.6 - and still have about 9MP files), so it's good for sports or something where your lens won't reach that far.

:)

bsaber
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 19, 2009 22:23 |  #10

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #7953966 (external link)
Shoot sRAW1 dude. sRAW1 if you're worried about file sizes this is the way to go. They are about 10MP and don't lose quality. More than enough for most things. :)

If you're doing something important, then use proper 21MP RAW. :) This will give you more cropping options (you can crop it down to 40D size - x1.6 - and still have about 9MP files), so it's good for sports or something where your lens won't reach that far.

:)

Here's a dumb question, how exactly do you calculate how many MP is left after cropping to XX size? Always wondered but never looked into it. :oops:

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

May 19, 2009 22:24 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

bsaber wrote in post #7953996 (external link)
Here's a dumb question, how exactly do you calculate how many MP is left after cropping to XX size? Always wondered but never looked into it. :oops:

I just remember what a smarter person wrote before. :lol:

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 19, 2009 22:37 |  #12

bsaber wrote in post #7953996 (external link)

1. Multiply the vertical resolution and the horizontal resolution.
2. Divide by 1,000,000.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

bsaber
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 19, 2009 22:41 |  #13

I knew it was a stupid question... but now I know :D

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 19, 2009 22:47 |  #14

mhthomps wrote in post #7952256 (external link)

DNG is pointless really, usually results in larger files when i used it. Just get a few 500gb or 1tb for archives and you're fine. Use that esata port though, it'll let you read/write at 50+MB/s (half second for a 5dmkii file).

And for the video (if you choose to use it, which i highly suggest), get these programs:
haali splitter
ffdshow
avisynth scripting server
megui (make sure to update to get x264 as well)

With those four programs, you can get the 45mbps video+audio to about 15mbps (third the size) without losing quality. It'll take probably 2-3 hours per 10 min clip on your computer using second to best in most things, but you can do two files at the same time and leave it overnight as well (has among the best batch management methods this side of professional programs). Hell, it's about 8x faster than the not as good mainconcept encoder from adobe's premiere. Best of all, all the programs are free. You can also do a lot of other cool things, just a bit hard to get used to at first.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

mhthomps
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 19, 2009 22:56 |  #15

basroil wrote in post #7954153 (external link)
DNG is pointless really, usually results in larger files when i used it. Just get a few 500gb or 1tb for archives and you're fine. Use that esata port though, it'll let you read/write at 50+MB/s (half second for a 5dmkii file).

And for the video (if you choose to use it, which i highly suggest), get these programs:
haali splitter
ffdshow
avisynth scripting server
megui (make sure to update to get x264 as well)

With those four programs, you can get the 45mbps video+audio to about 15mbps (third the size) without losing quality. It'll take probably 2-3 hours per 10 min clip on your computer using second to best in most things, but you can do two files at the same time and leave it overnight as well (has among the best batch management methods this side of professional programs). Hell, it's about 8x faster than the not as good mainconcept encoder from adobe's premiere. Best of all, all the programs are free. You can also do a lot of other cool things, just a bit hard to get used to at first.

Great advice. Any suggestions the eSata storage?

5DMii | 6D
Extended Gear List

sponsored links

1,397 views & 0 likes for this thread
Plunge = Taken (and a question about file format)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.