Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 May 2009 (Wednesday) 07:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hot pixel...

ArtierSquare
142 posts
Joined Jul 2004

May 20, 2009 07:29 |  #1

Hi all,

I need your advice on a matter.
Until recently, I owned a 1DS and have been using it mainly for studio work . Almost all the work was Jpg though some was RAW. I never really had the need to use it above 200iso and as far as I could tell, apart from a sensor clean, not much else was needed.
I recently sold it to a guy in Estonia.
The guy there tested it and at 5ooiso found 1 hot pixel in RAW (not jpg). He's since had it cleaned and the pixel cannot be righted. He's been quoted over £4000 for a new CCD.
Q. Does it devalue the camera? If so by how much? Morally I feel obliged to offer something back, but how do I gauge a thing like this. He says he will loose money on any subsequent resale.
Your opinions please?

Thanks

Under promise and over deliver!

sponsored links
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

May 20, 2009 07:55 |  #2

It doesn't devalue the camera at all....if he uses a photo editor such as Lightroom it will map the hot pixel out. You can also suggest that the new owner try a very common trick that often clears up a hot pixel issue. Simply put the camera into sensor cleaning mode with the lens still attached. Hit the shutter button and allow the camera to sit for 30 seconds to a minute. Power off the camera and restart it. This will often map out the hot pixel and the issue will be solved. I guess the real bottom line is that virtually all cameras have a hot pixel or two....especially as the ISO setting goes higher and higher. I really don't see where you owe the buyer anything.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

ArtierSquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Jul 2004

May 20, 2009 08:03 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #3

Amazing thanks...

I've cut and pasted your whole message into a reply to him and await the outcome...

Thanks... really

ArtierSquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Jul 2004

May 20, 2009 11:40 |  #4

Ok, here is the reply...

"I tried that, it didn't work. Some cases it's possible to repair hot pixel with software, they tried at the service but it didn't work too :(

Any other suggestions?

Please?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 20, 2009 11:48 |  #5

1 hot pixel out of 11 million? Canon wouldn't have replaced it for that when it was new. And how long was his ISO 500 exposure that turned this up?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ArtierSquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Jul 2004

May 20, 2009 12:03 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #6

This was the photo he sent me...

I can't even see it on any of my old pictures!

http://www.box.ee/holl​ywood/hot.jpg (external link)

number ­ six
"After 40 [50] years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,949 posts
Joined May 2007

May 20, 2009 17:28 as a reply to  @ ArtierSquare's post |  #7

All Digital cameras have dead and hot pixels. It's normal and unavoidable.

Run deadpixeltest.exe on a black shot from your camera and you'll find them.

I gather Canon repair can map them out, but I've never bothered.

Here's a screenshot of the deadpixeltest.exe report on my 30D - 47 dead, 231 hot pixels:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 21, 2009 03:05 |  #8

The self-fix using the manual cleaning mode in the camera worked for my 5DMKII. The camera was able to map it out. The only problem is that in video mode it still shows on the same map. Don't think it's possible to map it out in video and hopefully Canon will fix it under warranty.

Here was my thread: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=696092

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

ArtierSquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Jul 2004

May 21, 2009 05:49 |  #9

sf_loft wrote in post #7961733 (external link)
The self-fix using the manual cleaning mode in the camera worked for my 5DMKII. The camera was able to map it out. The only problem is that in video mode it still shows on the same map. Don't think it's possible to map it out in video and hopefully Canon will fix it under warranty.

Here was my thread: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=696092

Oh great... I bought a 5Dmk 2 body in January and onother a week ago! I'm not going to start looking for duff pixels! What the naked eye can't see my unbroken heart won't grieve over!;)

sponsored links

1,643 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hot pixel...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.