Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Jun 2006 (Tuesday) 19:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why not many 28-300L users?

M50D
725 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 29, 2009 14:51 |  #46

I thought about buying this lens before. IMO having that range in one lens would be very nice for some situations like travel photography. The weight doesn't bother me in the least, and considering the 28-300mm range the price seems reasonable. A Canon L lens kit that covers that approximate range will exceed what the 28-300mm sells for and add to more total weight to pack around. Even though there were some appealing aspects in the end I decided that the IQ was the deal breaker for me.

I can see how for some people the lens would be a perfect fit, at least for certain jobs.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
dylan111
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 22, 2009 18:26 as a reply to  @ post 1933702 |  #47

I have owned this lens for a year and it continues to impress me. The push pull was strange at first compared to a 70-200l, but now after using it so much, the 70-200 feels somewhat awkward and slow (push pull is so fast to frame). There is a big improvement in image quality using this lens on a 5DM2 vs. a cropped sensor (40D) for some reason. I started using this lens on a 40D and I was happy, but when used on a full frame (5DM2) the true capability of the lens is realized. I have done my fair share of pixle peeping at 100%, and I can't see any real issues with this lens. I believe this lens compares closly to the 70-200 in image quality IMHO and is on my camera 80% of the time. Jack of all master of none can be said about all zooms when comared to primes.

attached is 100% crop of a deer taken through the window of a car using 28-300 at 300mm apature wide open and converted to JPG using DPP no PP.

Equipment List.
40D
5DM2
28-300L
200mm F2.0
85mm F1.2 II
100mm F2.8 macro
70-200L (non-is)
24-70L
17-40L

3-580Ex2 flashes

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

dylan111
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 22, 2009 18:44 as a reply to  @ dylan111's post |  #48

And of course, a Duck image.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

scottpow
80 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 22, 2009 22:11 |  #49

I agree I own one and I can bet 2/3 of the bashers have never used one.

It's not any heavier than carrying 2 camera with lens covering the same distance. I use my at racing events there is no swapping lens back and forth.

chancellor wrote in post #1951741 (external link)
I still cannot udnerstand the bad rep that 28-300L gets from people. Here are couple of shots, no PP due to lack of knowledge :D

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,438 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 23, 2009 07:52 |  #50

I had one for about a year. It is a good lens, a little distortion on the wide end but nothing serious. I sold it because evey time I had it on the camera it seemed that I needed something wider or longer. Nothing against the lens, I just seem to shoot allot at extreme focal lengths.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Sigma 150-600

Proacura
92 posts
Joined May 2008

May 29, 2009 10:01 |  #51

I am definately getting the 28-300. But I will get it used for about $1800 so I don't feel bad about passing the 70-200 2.8 is for it. I don't like to change lens or carry around a lot of pricey equipment. I think this lens will suit me fine; even though I only weigh 115lbs.

"The more greatful I am, the more reasons I find to be greatful for. I have a positive mindset. I choose love, joy and freedom, open my heart and allow wonderful things to flow into my life, because the possibilities are endless.."

My Gear

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 16, 2009 13:37 as a reply to  @ Proacura's post |  #52

This lens is terrific. Yes, it's a bit on the heavy side, but so is the cumulative weight of the two or three other lenses you'd need to haul around to encompass the same focal spectrum. And with the 28-300 it's all in one chunk, no extra bag needed as a walk around.

So far as I'm concerned the AF is fast & accurate and the push/pull mechanism is mastered quickly, though let me rush to add that I do prefer the zoom ring mechanism.

The IQ is just fine. True, you give up an f-stop lor two for the convenience of a single lens, but it's got IS which really makes a big difference.

I bought mine used (in LN condition) and spent little more than what I would have on a new 70-200L IS.

It's my regular walk around and travel lens. I'm no weight lifter and yet I don't find this lens cumbersome so long as a good strap is used.

I highly recommend the EF28-300L IS USM if you can spring for the hefty pricetag. Those who talk about the $369 alternative Tamron as a reasonable (and lighter) "instead option" are not as discerning/demanding as they might be about their IQ.

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickr (external link) | PBase galleries (external link)

ianho
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 11, 2010 21:21 |  #53

Superb lens. People who talk about it being "jack of all trades, master of none", dont know jack. LOL. It's everything I expect of an L n more.

NorCalNomad
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2010 23:25 |  #54

Not sure if this has been covered but I know this is a really popular red carpet lens.

...screw listing gear,it just sets up preconceived notions...but if you must link (external link)

NorCalNomad.com (external link)
Industrial Design Portfolio (external link)
$15 Targus Monopod Review

Abyssgh0st
340 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 11, 2010 23:31 |  #55

NorCalNomad wrote in post #10165328 (external link)
Not sure if this has been covered but I know this is a really popular red carpet lens.

Check the OP :)

Gear List

My Flickr (external link)

Deep ­ Pocket
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 11, 2010 23:36 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

It's expensive.. hella expensive..
and heavy. Held one in a store just last month..

Personally, I didn't like the push-pull either, especially with that much weight, but then a couple lenses in the bag adds up to it ;)
Aperture on the wider end doesn't appeal to me too much, but then otherwise IQ is great and the range is WOW.

17 and learning..
Canon Rebel XSI/450D:
Sigma 30 f/1.4, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, 18-55 Kit Lens

Deviantart (external link)

sponsored links

13,754 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why not many 28-300L users?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.