Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 May 2009 (Saturday) 09:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When Post Prcessing

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 23, 2009 09:01 |  #1

how, what, or when, helps you decide that enough is enough? Or like me, are you rarely satisfied? Just curious.

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 23, 2009 10:55 |  #2

:lol: :lol: It's a relatively easy answer if you're a photographer...just get it like you remember the scene and do it only once.
It becomes more difficult when one aspires to be an artist and cannot determine what direction to take an image.

You are not alone, Adams rarely PP his images the same way twice.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2009 11:02 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #3

Good answer Chauncey... I have major difficulty trying to answer subjective, philosophical, or rhetorical questions.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

lnterestlng
393 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 23, 2009 17:24 |  #4

Confidence helps. Stop trying to impress people and be happy with what you do. Then anything you do will be enough.

Of course that can also lead to mediocrity(sp?)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 23, 2009 18:00 |  #5

I think it's natural to swing like a pendulum between overstated and underdone, looking for a balance that will satisfy your "vision".

This is especially true when you are trying something new, whether it is a special effect, HDR, selective sharpening/blurring or whatever. And, your vision and sense of balance naturally evolve over time. What looks "cool" to you when you are first learning and experimenting with something may look "tacky" a year or two from now, but so what?

Take on new projects, practice and learn, post examples for C&C, and don't get discouraged, especially by people with different tastes whose only comment is something like "I don't like this" or "that doesn't do anything for me".

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 23, 2009 18:08 as a reply to  @ lnterestlng's post |  #6

I see a lot of photos that are completely over processed, and look subsequently completely ridiculous, though that is my own opinion.

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,149 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 23, 2009 18:26 as a reply to  @ Jahled's post |  #7

I make a change on a duplicate layer until it looks just right.

Then I reduce the opacity 50%.

And discover that looks just right.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 23, 2009 18:47 |  #8

Jahled wrote in post #7976172 (external link)
I see a lot of photos that are completely over processed, and look subsequently completely ridiculous, though that is my own opinion.

Of course! That's part of the learning curve, and an opportunity to give constructive criticism. If someone who is just learning posts an early attempt, and you just say "that looks completely over processed, and completely ridiculous" you will only have offered destructive criticism, IMO. If you suggest a tweak here and a tweak there to "tone down" things, that's what I consider positive/constructive criticism.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

JeffNKC
36 posts
Joined May 2009

May 23, 2009 20:23 |  #9

tonylong wrote in post #7976313 (external link)
Of course! That's part of the learning curve, and an opportunity to give constructive criticism. If someone who is just learning posts an early attempt, and you just say "that looks completely over processed, and completely ridiculous" you will only have offered destructive criticism, IMO. If you suggest a tweak here and a tweak there to "tone down" things, that's what I consider positive/constructive criticism.

I agree with your comment about constructive criticism...however it seems that the popular trend is to over process images with Lucis, DAP, Topaz and move 3 sliders to create an image that is off the wall. Taking it far from what it originally was. Rather than learn about the subtlety of textures or correct use of dodge and burn people just apply a filter and fiddle with some sliders.

This all of course is just my opinion. Do what makes you happy.

To the OP's original question...there will always be something that you can do to the image. You just have to make a judgment call and say enough. Usually when you start to worry about things that nobody else would worry or notice is when you need to stop.

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2009 21:41 |  #10

One of our biggest problems is that we see with our brains AND eyes. Our eyesight is adaptive. The longer you look, the better it looks.
Leave it for a while and take a fresh look at it.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 23, 2009 21:44 |  #11

Add a couple beers to that and you're in PP heaven:)!

Tony

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 23, 2009 22:05 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #12

Tony, you're getting mellow in your advancing years. :lol:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 24, 2009 00:00 |  #13

chauncey wrote in post #7977140 (external link)
Tony, you're getting mellow in your advancing years. :lol:

'hic', huh:)?

Tony

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 24, 2009 09:18 |  #14

tonylong wrote in post #7977043 (external link)
Add a couple beers to that and you're in PP heaven:)!

there are a lot of one armed men around because of this. :)

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 24, 2009 09:48 as a reply to  @ poloman's post |  #15

The fact that you are rarely satisfied with an image is to me a good thing. I have never been satisfied with any image I've ever taken. Proud of it? Yes, of many, but I've always got a little piece of my mind thinking how I might improve a shot if I took it again.

And if that goes for shooting the image, it goes double for post processing.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,392 views & 0 likes for this thread
When Post Prcessing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.