Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 May 2009 (Sunday) 13:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Build Me Up...

mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2009 13:16 |  #1

Well trying out my new Tamron 17-50 2.8, I have never used such a lens with shallow DOF and this is my first real purchased lens.

Comments and critique welcome, no post processing has been done.
F2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/1250
ISO:100

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Deviant Art (external link)

RMXSeven
310 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2009 18:31 |  #2

Hey,

I think the AF locked onto the few blades of grass a few cm in front of the main subject (Central flower I assume) so it seems the be a little OOF. Could just be me though LOL.

~Ronen

Canon 40D | EFs 10-22 | EFs 17-85 | Sigma 70-300 APO | EF 50mm Fantastic Plastic
FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

MikeMcL
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 24, 2009 18:41 |  #3

the picture is pretty good, i think that the positioning and angle of the primary focal point does not isolate it as much as i'd like to see.

In other words, i guess the composition is a bit weak. I love the way the light plays on the scene, it is a bit bright in the back. That gives a really nice feel to it.

that lens is a killer one. i have had several of them at different times. enjoy it.

350d, 5d, 28-70L, 70-200L, 430EX,
50 1.8, 85 1.8 - full alienbees studio set.

MikeMcLane.comexternal link

mattyb240
THREAD ­ STARTER
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2009 18:54 |  #4

Thanks for the comments, I really am enjoying this lens but it was my first outing with it. No autofocus was used, the only problem was I had to use live view to get the shot and I couldn't get low enough to see the main screen clearly, mainly due to the large muddy puddle directly in front of this.

Mike, I wonder if a tighter crop might isolate it better? I think if I take the three blades of grass from the left hand side out it would make the composition better? I will repost a crop in the morning but time for bed now!

Thanks,

Matt

Deviant Art (external link)

MikeMcL
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 24, 2009 19:18 |  #5

i dont think that the blades in focus take away from the composition. i was referring to all the yellow in the BG that sorta detracts from the main focus, which is exactly the same color. this all makes the eye travel around the frame quite a bit.

The idea with flowers often times is to isolate them so maybe you get a visual "punch". Flowers are quite a "dime a dozen" sort of item, so the composition has to be somewhat commanding.

This of course is all MY feel on the topic, i am by no means a prophet of flower photography. please take a look at my "non-portrait portfolio" in the link below (my smugmug gallery) There are a few pictures there that will show you what i mean.

You have a great eye, just keep using different techniques to get a variety of photos.

350d, 5d, 28-70L, 70-200L, 430EX,
50 1.8, 85 1.8 - full alienbees studio set.

MikeMcLane.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

724 views & 0 likes for this thread
Build Me Up...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.