Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 May 2009 (Sunday) 12:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Need Recommendations for photo printer

legmaker72
29 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 24, 2009 12:54 |  #1

Hey guys,
After accumulating hundreds of digital photos on the computer, I'd like to start printing some of them off to make albums. I need some recommendations for a good, easy to use photo printer.
Some information that might help; We use laptops wirelessly in the house, so I would love to be able to do this wirelessly I guess, but not necessary.
I would love to be able to scan some old negatives as well, but again, not totally necessary, but if possible it would be an advantage.
I have not kept up with new technology for a little while, at least since I bought my G7, so I appreciate any direction you can provide.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 24, 2009 13:19 |  #2

Chris,

Immediately we need more information! Sorry about that.

What size prints have you in mind?
Do you want quality or cheap and cheerful?
Do you have any preferences about manufacturer?

The big three in this field are Epson, Canon and HP. I'd stick with these if I were you. The best quality prints are produced by printers using pigment inks, these last (at least according to the manufacturers) around 100 years in the correct conditions. The older dye ink prints have a lot shorter lifespan, but you can always reprint.

I use Epson. Starting from A4, the R800 is a good quality pigment ink printer, the R2880 I use is Epsons newest (A3+) and they make larger still if your bank balance can stand the strain. Bear in mind that ink is more expensive than gold, and I'm serious.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

MikeMcL
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 24, 2009 19:07 |  #3

the pixma 9000 pro is a super nice printer, and a fantastic deal.

It goes to 13x19, and the prints are stunning.

you are asking a question along the lines of "what car should I buy" You should give us more along the lines of budget, usage, and other requirements.

Kodak has a nice one that scans, photo copies and prints nie photos and their whole marketing thing now is that inks are as low priced as possible, allowing people to do tons of work for a lower price than the more pro models.

It gives nice results, costs about $129 and the ink is very cheap. i let the wife go nuts on it. its called the ESP-3

I prefer the pixma pro 9000 for work that matters, really.

350d, 5d, 28-70L, 70-200L, 430EX,
50 1.8, 85 1.8 - full alienbees studio set.

MikeMcLane.comexternal link

StellaBean
276 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 24, 2009 19:12 |  #4

I have epson R1400. beautiful prints.

~Jennifer~
5D|40D|17-50mm f/2.8|28-75mm f/2.8|[COLOR=Black]50mm f/1.4|70-200mm L f/4 IS|430EX

legmaker72
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 24, 2009 20:26 |  #5

Thanks guys!
To answer some questions:
What size prints have you in mind? Mostly 4x6 for albums.
Do you want quality or cheap and cheerful? quality definately, but they will mostly be 4x6
Do you have any preferences about manufacturer? Nope. Canon, Epson..whatever

MikeMcL
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 24, 2009 23:07 |  #6

i dont know if it will help or hurt your decision, but i have had and heard terrible things about HP printers in regards to photos. they are notorious for having clogging and print head problems.

The pixma pro 9000 is a bit much for printers if you are mainly doing 4x6s

maybe a smaller epson or the kodak i mentioned. it is excellent at 8x10 or lower.

definitely google for reviews when you find a couple you like.

Salleke
Goldmember
2,201 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 25, 2009 04:18 |  #7

legmaker72 wrote in post #7981314 (external link)
Thanks guys!
To answer some questions:
What size prints have you in mind? Mostly 4x6 for albums.
Do you want quality or cheap and cheerful? quality definately, but they will mostly be 4x6
Do you have any preferences about manufacturer? Nope. Canon, Epson..whatever

Chris, If you are printing mostly 4 x 6 prints then I recommend the Canon Pixma 4600.
It prints up to A4 and is very good in printing quality. It consumes not to much
inkt and it's a cheep printer.

I paid mine about 85 euro's.

Good luck.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 25, 2009 05:33 |  #8

MikeMcL wrote in post #7982048 (external link)
i dont know if it will help or hurt your decision, but i have had and heard terrible things about HP printers in regards to photos. they are notorious for having clogging and print head problems.

What ever are you talking about? The truth is the extreme opposite due to the fact that most HP photo printers have the head integrated into the cartridge. I think you are thinking about older Epson inkjet printers. (Epson fans-- please notice I said "older Epson".)

The HP B8550 is a sweet printer at a reasonable price (currently $199 USD). And should you ever decide to print larger than 4 x 6, it can handle up to 13 x 19. Here's an excellent review. (external link) Here's another review (external link).

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

crazydays
209 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 25, 2009 05:44 |  #9

I am VERY happy with the quality of prints I get from my HP7280 All-in-one printer.
Excellent for 4X6, 5X7, 8X10. It doesn't print larger. It is a printer, fax, copier and scanner. I have had 2 printers by HP with no issues at all. **this is a general printer but I have some excellent results...I am not a
professional photographer.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 25, 2009 05:54 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #10

There are some very small "enprint" printers available, but I feel you will soon outgrow 4 x 6. But they are reasonable value, so if you do outgrow them, it's not costing a fortune.

Epsons R800 would be my choice if presented with the same set of requirements. I'm not an HP or Canon user, so cannot point you to their versions of similar printers, but this is a very popular size and type, so you can be sure they will offer one.

Personally I'd stick to a "Photo" printer rather than a "general purpose" printer. A photo printer will still print a mean letter, so no need to fret about that.

Kodak are getting a reputation for selling ink at sensible prices, unlike the big three. I would be interested to read comparative reviews of the printers. The traditional business plan is firmly based on the Gillette razor blade model. Sell the razor cheaply and the customer buys your blades for the rest of his life. Same with photo printers until Kodak just recently.

Richard

AzMandella
127 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 25, 2009 10:18 |  #11

MikeMcL wrote in post #7981000 (external link)
the pixma 9000 pro is a super nice printer, and a fantastic deal.

It goes to 13x19, and the prints are stunning.

you are asking a question along the lines of "what car should I buy" You should give us more along the lines of budget, usage, and other requirements.

Kodak has a nice one that scans, photo copies and prints nie photos and their whole marketing thing now is that inks are as low priced as possible, allowing people to do tons of work for a lower price than the more pro models.

It gives nice results, costs about $129 and the ink is very cheap. i let the wife go nuts on it. its called the ESP-3

I prefer the pixma pro 9000 for work that matters, really.

I also use the Pro9000. great printer. The new version(the Mk II) does 14" wide formatt. and the Chromalife 100 inks are excelent.

Canon 1DsMkII/20D/16-35 f2.8L/ 24-70 f2.8L/ 70-200 f4L IS/ 28-135 IS/ 85 1.8/580EXII/ 580 EX.

MikeMcL
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 25, 2009 10:35 |  #12

personally, if the inks are going to cost me more than pro printhouse prints, id rather just do my printing with wet process at a good pro place with color profiles and pro results.

This isnt really in response to any of the above comments or for any particular reason. If i need to do 50 4x6 prints, i just do them out of my smugmug or at myphotopipe.com or similar.

If you have a bulk of prints to do, you can search around for a 12 cent print special or whatever, and you'll beat the price of even the cheapest inkjet materials.

One thing to note is that printing on "cheap" papers yields you junk results most of the time. whatever printer you end up with, don't scrimp where it counts.

i literally deem some print needs "not worthy" of shipping time waiting or my good inks, and i just go up to the walgreens 1 hour service. I know they suck but they are fast and suck consistently. (some walgreens stores will give you a color profile and let you process exactly for their machine, and the results can be great... but not mine)

Whatever, i am just in a ranty mood... but these are my experiences with this.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 25, 2009 11:09 |  #13

Mike,

A good print done at home, with time to take the care required, can generally beat a commercial lab, wet or otherwise. Gone are the days when it was considered a poor relation.

But printing at home is never going to stack up financially, it is much more to do with controlling the quality.

Richard

legmaker72
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 25, 2009 19:58 |  #14

Thanks again guys. I went to BB just to see what they had there and was wondering what you thought of the Canon Pixma MP620 and MP620B? And what the main differences are since they are only $5 difference.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 25, 2009 20:47 |  #15

legmaker72 wrote in post #7986999 (external link)
Thanks again guys. I went to BB just to see what they had there and was wondering what you thought of the Canon Pixma MP620 and MP620B? And what the main differences are since they are only $5 difference.

As this is a photography forum, you're going to usually find discussion of single function, dedicated photo printers (AND scanners), ranging from affordable consumer models up to full professional models. But if you feel a multifunction printer will best meet your specific personal needs, both look like competent machines. I guess you can search Canon's website to find what the differences are.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

sponsored links

2,280 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Need Recommendations for photo printer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.