Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 May 2009 (Monday) 13:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So i've messed my sensor up...

RyanL
148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 25, 2009 13:19 |  #1

So my sister was messing around with my camera when I wasn't around and managed to take the lens off my 5D and enable sensor cleaning mode in the space of 10 mins. Then she got bored and left it, therefore my sensor is in pretty bad shape. I'd like to know what to do next please guys, I hope its ok. :mad:

Heres a shot of a white ceiling (hence the change in white to the left of the frame), f16, 97mm, ISO 1600.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

sponsored links
phigment
230 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 25, 2009 13:25 |  #2

Looks like a bad cleaning job to me. With maybe some dirt on the lens causing the larger white dots.

Also, do you have your white balance set wrong?

And what is that extra colour change at the left? Is that the transition of the wall to the ceiling?

What does a picture with actual detailed content look like?

A7R, Firin 20mm, CV 21/4, CV 40/1.4, 100ZE, 300 4LIS, Tamron 150-600, Jupiter 8, RX100 IV

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 25, 2009 13:29 |  #3

Just get a lenspen or other cleaning solution and start working at it. This is already a level that blowers are useless for, and you'll likely need to clean it half a dozen times until it looks good. Not much to worry about though, doesn't look like scratches, just some dirt and hairs. DON'T use it at all before you clean though, because that is when gunk an get dislodged and mess up the shutter or sensor. And keep small children (those under 16) away from your cameras at all times, they are hazardous to the health of your camera.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

May 25, 2009 13:49 |  #4

Check this site: http://www.copperhilli​mages.com/index.php?pr​=tutorials1 (external link). Also call B&H photo www.bhphoto.com (external link) and ask, as they have other similar sensor cleaners.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,937 posts
Joined May 2007

May 25, 2009 15:18 |  #5

Looks to me like most of that is tiny hairs - you should be able to dislodge them with a blower. The round dots are more likely to be stubborn and require wet cleaning.

Here's a good overview of sensor cleaning:
http://www.cleaningdig​italcameras.com/ (external link)

and here's a good tutorial:
http://www.copperhilli​mages.com/index.php?pr​=tutorials (external link)

I use the Copperhill kit for wet cleaning.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 25, 2009 15:20 |  #6

i hope thats your ceiling that is painted incorrectly and not your sensor. if it's your sensor, then your going to need a liquid solution cleaning kit to get rid of those streaks on your sensor.

solution: liquid sensor cleaning kit. dust blower won't solve the liquid streaks on your sensor

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

cfibanez
857 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 25, 2009 15:39 |  #7

Visible Dust http://www.visibledust​.com/index.php (external link)

5D4 | 7D2 | 11-24/4.0 L | 16-35/2.8 L III | 24/1.4 L II | 24-105/4.0 L IS | 40/2.8 STM | 85/1.2 L II | 100/2.8 L macro IS | 70-200/2.8 L IS II | 100-400 L IS II | 400/4.0 DO L II | 580EXII | EF 1.4x III | Gitzo monopod GM2541 | Gitzo tripod GT2541 | Really Right Stuff ball head & plates | B+W & Singh-Ray filters

RyanL
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 25, 2009 15:42 as a reply to  @ cfibanez's post |  #8

Thanks for all the reply's guys!

One of my mates's dad works for Canon, so he's going to take it to work with him and get it fixed up for me professionally. ;)

People in high places are always good.

sponsored links

1,650 views & 0 likes for this thread
So i've messed my sensor up...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.