Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 May 2009 (Monday) 13:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what is the best way to learn f stop and apertures

xsi ­ 09
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined May 2009

May 25, 2009 20:18 |  #16

Mr. Bill wrote in post #7987004 (external link)
OK not trying to be rude here, but your use of spelling has really given me a headache. :cry:

As previously mentioned, the book "Understanding exposure" is not bad, but I would do more searching on this site for more of the basics first.

well if dont like it dont respond dont be argent dont say crap i cant spell and i am not downloading a spellcheck proggram for a fourm.

life is like photography, turn every negative in to a positive. i am a newbe. :)

sponsored links
xsi ­ 09
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined May 2009

May 25, 2009 20:19 |  #17

Naturalist wrote in post #7987014 (external link)
To the OP
Start here: http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Camera_lens (external link)

thank you

life is like photography, turn every negative in to a positive. i am a newbe. :)

captainkimo
108 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 25, 2009 20:32 |  #18

If you're not sure on what settings to use, you may consider shooting on P mode first then look at the settings.. then shoot at Manual using that settings (and tweak them according to your own liking). You will eventually get the hang of it.

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

HDR Photography by Captain Kimo
www.CaptainKimo.com (external link)
Reach the Captain on FaceBook (external link)

xsi ­ 09
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined May 2009

May 25, 2009 20:34 as a reply to  @ captainkimo's post |  #19

thank you i just whant to be able to look at something i want to take pictures of and know what manuale setings to use

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

May 25, 2009 21:03 as a reply to  @ xsi 09's post |  #20

The "sunny 16" rule is a handy guide. It is simple to remember, on a sunny day (assuming the subject is actually IN the sun) the exposure will be around f/16 @ 1/ISO

So, if you are shooting at ISO 200, you set the camera to 1/200th sec and f/16, or an equivalent exposure. Knowing those three parameters you can adjust each according to your requirements, if you want a wide aperture for less depth of field (say f/5.6) adjust the shutter speed by the same number of stops (in this case to 1/1600th).

In less sunny conditions alter accordingly, keeping shutter speed the same as the ISO, the aperture will be:

Sunny - f/16
Slightly Overcast - f/11
Overcast - f/8
Heavily Overcast - f/5.6

These are simply a guide however, as sunshine can vary in intensity depending on time of day, where you are etc. It is advisable to check the first shot's histogram on the camera, to ensure the exposure is correct.

GregMik
880 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 25, 2009 21:06 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #21

XSI09......

Practice, Practice, Practice..... The only way to learn. Just listen to a couple ppl you trust along the way and you will be off.

Greg

Current equipment(Shared between Tasha and I)
1D Mark 2, 40D, 20D, 70-200L F2.8 Non-IS, 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS, 1.4 extender and 18-55 EF-S Kit lens
www.freewebs.com/gregm​ikk (external link)
www.freewebs.com/gregm​ik (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 25, 2009 23:19 |  #22

Gentleman Villain wrote in post #7984938 (external link)
Don't worry about it....the camera figures out all of that stuff automatically. There's no need to learn any of it

people have too much stress in their lives...there's really no need to worry...if the apirture is wrong it can always be fixed in PP

It is very interesting that this is the same "Gentleman Villain" who in a very long and sometimes contentious thread about 2 months ago argued at length and in part very rudely about the neccessity of "getting it right in the camera", condemned reliance on post-processing and deplored the lack of a system of accreditation which would certify good photographers as "master craftsmen".

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=664682 starting from post #52

I think you bring up an excellent point and it is a very valid topic of conversation. Personally, I do not crop my images and haven't needed to do so for about the past 9 years. It has always my goal in photography to get the image as close to final at capture without having to do much in post or "darkroom work." .....

I went to a photography school in 1994 and immediately ran into the 2 schools of thought when it comes to photography. One school of thought is the "anything goes" school...that is ...do whatever you want as long as it looks cool. THese people don't worry as much about their technique at capture and are willing to spend more time in post playing with images. Many times, they have no idea what the final product will look like at capture. They will often "wing it" and go-with-the-flow. That's cool, that's one school of thought.

Personally, that is not my school of thought. I always wanted to have absolute control over the medium of photography. I always wanted to be an excellent craftsman and be able to get the image as close to my visualization at capture as possible. This is the second school of thought.

Elie / אלי

Spotmatic
26 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 26, 2009 09:41 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #23

Always amazed at how sarcasm just doesn't translate on internet forums. I wish people would follow the thread like a conversation and pick up a little nuance now and again. When I read the OP I think he just wanted to know how you just look at a scene and gauge the settings you would use in Manual before you look through the viewfinder and start taking readings. The title of the thread was slightly misleading and easily sent the conversation down the well worn road of exposure. To this I can only suggest practice and pay attention the settings you have used on well exposed shots. Internalize them and ask yourself why those settings worked.

20D Gripped, EF 50 F/1.8, Tamron 17-50 F/2.8, EF 28-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 70-200 F/2.8

Gentleman ­ Villain
Goldmember
1,116 posts
Joined May 2008

May 26, 2009 10:37 as a reply to  @ Spotmatic's post |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

that's true about sarcasm...Forums can also be humorless places too. The original un-edited post read like a text message from somebody riding a roller coaster. IF we can't have a little fun with a bad speller once in awhile then when can we have fun? I'm a bad speller too. OK now ...just so nobody thinks that's being too rude or condescending or whatever...here's a smiley face gif at the end :D

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,953 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 26, 2009 10:38 |  #25

xsi 09 wrote in post #7984789 (external link)
what i mean buy this is how do you learn to just look at something you whant to take a picutre of and know what to set the camera too.

First learn the principles, then SEE the principle in action.

For example,

1. large aperture (small f/number) equates to 'shallow Depth of Field' and small aperature (large f/number) equates to 'deep Depth of Field'.
  2. high shutter speed (bigger number) equates to 'action stopping' and low shutter speed equates to 'motion blur'
  3. mall aperature (large f/number) and high shutter speed (bigger number) and low ISO value all translate to 'less light gathering power', which you have to juggle the three to obtain 'proper exposure'.
Now put the principles into action!...

1. Go out and shoot the same scene employing a large aperture, then an intermediate aperture, then a small aperture, and go home an examine what that did to your DOF captured.
  2. Now go out and shoot the same scene with moving objects (like a highway with cars zooming by) employing a fast shutter speed, then an intermediate shutter speed, then a slow shutter speed, and go home an examine what that did to the ability to freeze motion.

...all the while keeping in mind the need to alter one of the other settings, to keep 'proper exposure' the Constant

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SnapLocally.com
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined May 2007

May 26, 2009 10:57 |  #26

Gentleman Villain wrote in post #7984938 (external link)
Don't worry about it....the camera figures out all of that stuff automatically. There's no need to learn any of it

Gentleman Villain wrote in post #7984980 (external link)
people have too much stress in their lives...there's really no need to worry...if the apirture is wrong it can always be fixed in PP

Oh man, this is gold! Thanks for the laugh, and those too that don't recognize jokes when you see them.

:lol:

www.SnapLocally.com (external link)

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 26, 2009 11:35 |  #27

Gentleman Villain wrote in post #7990671 (external link)
that's true about sarcasm...Forums can also be humorless places too. The original un-edited post read like a text message from somebody riding a roller coaster. IF we can't have a little fun with a bad speller once in awhile then when can we have fun? I'm a bad speller too. OK now ...just so nobody thinks that's being too rude or condescending or whatever...here's a smiley face gif at the end :D

bw! LMAO!!!

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

Spotmatic
26 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 26, 2009 12:38 as a reply to  @ shooterman's post |  #28

Have you figured out "don't be argent" yet? I have found it easier to understand the OP's posts by reading them with a stereotypical and racist oriental accent. "argent" = "arrogant"
This also helps one forgive the pigeon english and spelling of a non native speaker.
Disclaimer: I in no way endorse racist humor and take no pleasure from jokes made at the expense of anyone's ethnicity other than my own. I make the above suggestion only as an english comprehension aid.

20D Gripped, EF 50 F/1.8, Tamron 17-50 F/2.8, EF 28-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 70-200 F/2.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,953 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 26, 2009 12:44 |  #29

Spotmatic wrote in post #7991379 (external link)
Have you figured out "don't be argent" yet? I have found it easier to understand the OP's posts by reading them with a stereotypical and racist oriental accent. "argent" = "arrogant"
This also helps one forgive the pigeon english and spelling of a non native speaker.
Disclaimer: I in no way endorse racist humor and take no pleasure from jokes made at the expense of anyone's ethnicity other than my own. I make the above suggestion only as an english comprehension aid.

:D I know their English is far better than my Japanese or Romanian or Farci or Tagalog or Flemish or...

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Gentleman ­ Villain
Goldmember
1,116 posts
Joined May 2008

May 26, 2009 13:06 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

Spotmatic wrote in post #7991379 (external link)

hahahahahahahahahahaha​!!!

sponsored links

3,515 views & 0 likes for this thread
what is the best way to learn f stop and apertures
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.