Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 May 2009 (Thursday) 10:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I scored with craigslist...

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 28, 2009 10:18 |  #1

I logged on about two minutes after the guy posted for sale:

Novatron V600D kit
3-2100C heads
1-2103FC head
stands, umbrellas, case, cords, etc.
Used once, four years ago, then packed away.

$500

:eek:

Something tells me I'm going to have a very good time.:cool:

sponsored links
shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 28, 2009 10:30 |  #2

If you're sending the money to Nigeria, I'd say the seller scored. :)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

dave63
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 28, 2009 11:55 |  #3

No. Went and picked them up yesterday.

Any constructive input?

Papa ­ Carlo
587 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 28, 2009 12:45 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Not sure what your question is. Do you expect "oohhh, aahh how lucky you are !" :-)

wyofizz
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 28, 2009 13:44 as a reply to  @ Papa Carlo's post |  #5

Lucky dog :cool:

Dave - Fuzzy Hashing makes me itch.

drh681
157 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 28, 2009 14:16 |  #6

you win.

unless an angry ex-husband is going to be looking for his camera gear!

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 28, 2009 14:21 |  #7

dave63 wrote in post #8004893 (external link)
Any constructive input?

as papa carlo mentioned, what would be considered constructive input to a thread like this?

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

maximus96
561 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 28, 2009 14:23 |  #8

poor guy is just looking for some praises on his deal hunting skills.

Canon 5D III | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 50L | 85L II
San Francisco Bay Area Real Estate Photographer - Sammy Lo Photography (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,893 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 28, 2009 14:24 |  #9

A very long time ago, I started off with a Novatron kit as my first venture into lighting. It is a fine unit for what it is...a good quality entry level unit, with limitations compared to higher end units. You will find that the availability of a selection of light modifiers from different third parties is limited, and you may find the relatively low power of the modelling lights to be an issue in bright ambient conditions. For a hobbyist, as a learning tool or as a continued solution for artificial lighting, they might well suit you just fine. I know I would buy a Novatron kit again, before I bought some of the garbage that you see on eBay or even in the photo magazines. Comparing the B&H price to what you paid, you got a nice deal.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 28, 2009 18:32 |  #10

punk

lol. nice score. i wonder if he has another...

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

dave63
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 28, 2009 18:34 |  #11

alt4852 wrote in post #8005737 (external link)
as papa carlo mentioned, what would be considered constructive input to a thread like this?

Something like what Wilt posted a couple of posts later.
:idea:

dave63
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 28, 2009 18:48 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #8005750 (external link)
A very long time ago, I started off with a Novatron kit as my first venture into lighting. It is a fine unit for what it is...a good quality entry level unit, with limitations compared to higher end units. You will find that the availability of a selection of light modifiers from different third parties is limited, and you may find the relatively low power of the modelling lights to be an issue in bright ambient conditions. For a hobbyist, as a learning tool or as a continued solution for artificial lighting, they might well suit you just fine. I know I would buy a Novatron kit again, before I bought some of the garbage that you see on eBay or even in the photo magazines. Comparing the B&H price to what you paid, you got a nice deal.

Thank you for some input.

I seem to recall there being some Novatron kits--continuous light, for video--at one of the t.v. stations where I worked, but they looked like ****, as if someone had said "Hey thanks for 20 years of service" by throwing them off the roof, and then taking them to a news scene by dragging them behind the news van. :lol: So, I had an unfair bias to start with.

The modeling lights are 100 watters. Suggestions to better match the flash tubes? I don't know how many bright ambient conditions I'll be shooting in, but that's a helpful piece of thinking to have for the future. If I caved and decided to work the traditional portrait market--which would bore the 5600K out of me--this setup would certainly hit the ground running. I did some test shots earlier today, and can clearly see some options for messing around with these.

I don't know how many options I need with them, in terms of modifiers. I plan on using softboxes a lot, the occsional snoot. If there's a couple of universal speedrings that fit, I'm good to go.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 28, 2009 20:53 as a reply to  @ dave63's post |  #13

I was given a Novatron 3 light kit by another photographer in North Carolina who didn't use them anymore and I needed a light setup. I love them..very limited because they have to be plugged in to a power pack but I love them.

ashdavid
Osteoglossum bicirrhosum
986 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 28, 2009 21:20 |  #14

dave63 wrote in post #8004893 (external link)
Any constructive input?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

1Ds MKIII, 5D, 30D, EF 50mm f/1.2L , EF 85mm f/1.2L , EF 24-70mm f/2.8L , EF 80-200mm f2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS , EF 300mm f/2.8L , EF 400mm f2.8L IS, EF 800mm f5.6L IS EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro , EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro ..... Speedlite 580EX II x 4, Speedlite 430EX x 1, ST-E2 , Remote Switch,

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 28, 2009 21:38 as a reply to  @ ashdavid's post |  #15

Even if you only use umbrellas and don't buy speedrings and modifiers, you've got yourself a kit to learn, study and understand lighting, with the ability to create beautiful portraits. It doesn't matter whether they are current or high tech. Beautiful portraits are created every day with 1, 2 and 3 light kits using ubrellas, brolly boxes, softlighters and softbox-like devices that don't require speedrings.

I wouldn't invest in goodies and doo-dads for those lights but I would take advantage of the kit and learn as much as you can about lighting and see where it takes you. If you outgrow them or want to upgrade then you'll probably have gotten your money's worth and had a good time doing so.

I say enjoy and learn all you can. Good find.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links

2,930 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I scored with craigslist...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.