Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 May 2009 (Saturday) 11:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If life throws you a Lemon, make Lemonade!

macobee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 27, 2009 03:20 |  #16

Hi Andy,

It is a childrens chair I am sitting on.

ok the chair was used as i thought it would contrast nicely with the other colors, its the only white piece of furniture i have at home....and the whole thing would look odd if i just arranged everything flat on the table......however quite a number of people commented like that about the chair.....so in the future I would probably go find a small table instead...lesson learned :)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/marcoveringa/ (external link)

sponsored links
Sisyphus
384 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 27, 2009 08:27 |  #17

I like the chair. Used as a prop, it's clean, rather simple, provides good contrast, unifies the series, and is just quirky enough to lend character and distinction to the photos.

Canon 5D | EF 24-105 | Sigma 12-24

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,115 posts
Gallery: 305 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

May 27, 2009 08:41 |  #18

Sisyphus wrote in post #7996973 (external link)
I like the chair. Used as a prop, it's clean, rather simple, provides good contrast, unifies the series, and is just quirky enough to lend character and distinction to the photos.

Those are some of the things I said I liked about it, too. I like the lines and balance of it, too. But still a little distracting.

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,358 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

May 27, 2009 08:53 |  #19

Sisyphus wrote in post #7996973 (external link)

I agree -- a table would have necessitated completely different arrangements because the viewer's mind would not accept fruit on the floor beneath the table. The chair, on the other hand, serves as a partitioning prop that helps to make a balanced composition.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

macobee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 27, 2009 09:10 |  #20

awesome.....some guys who understand me :) thanks blokes!

SurfnSnow
149 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2009

May 27, 2009 11:11 |  #21

I like the use of the chair as well because of the different levels of focus/areas of interest that you were able to capture.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3614/3556238397_d0ef11819e.jpg
There's a nice flow from top to bottom.

but I have to say I like this one the best, it just has a regal look to it
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Cole_Schmitt
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 27, 2009 14:17 |  #22

One thing to the picture of you pouring the lemonade is I would crop out just under your hand.. Other then that, the pics are very sharp, colorful, and I like them alot!

Cole | flickr (external link)
XTi • 17-55 ƒ2.8

spirith
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 27, 2009 21:19 |  #23

The chair does add to some of these lovely compositions (the colours and ideas are fabulous).
I find the chair DOES distract in photos #2 and #5. A cleaner background or tabletop would have worked better for these, or simply eliminate the chair and put them on the floor. Of course you'd have to get down low to shoot.

macobee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 27, 2009 22:21 |  #24

thanks guys appreciate all your comments.

one question why is the red wall "fringing" its just a painted red wall, i dont know why this happens, is it because it has texture?

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,358 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

May 27, 2009 23:12 |  #25

macobee wrote in post #8001698 (external link)
one question why is the red wall "fringing" its just a painted red wall, i dont know why this happens, is it because it has texture?

I suspect there is a slight amount of glossiness in the paint and that is causing bit of glare and it also means that texture details will be more evident.

BTW, your lemonade series is having a worldwide influence on people's behavior. I was at the produce market today and saw some big beautiful juicy lemons and limes and could not resist buying a few. The limes that I bought were very dark green and quite juicy in addition to being very large. When I got home I fixed a big tall glass of lemon/limeade.

I had to get a couple pictures of the bright colors.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

macobee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 28, 2009 00:52 |  #26

hehehen thanks! glad i made you go out and make a lemondae as well! Lovely limes that are in your shot!

malloc
39 posts
Joined May 2009

May 28, 2009 13:17 |  #27

The second set of photos are quite random. Cracks me up every time I see them. I think #4 from the first set is the strongest of the 5 as far composition is concerned.

acecruise
25 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 29, 2009 00:13 |  #28

Lovin the self portrait. I like the lighting on it.

5Dmkii//50 1.4//Tamron 70-200 2.8
http://www.acecruzphot​o.com (external link)
instagram.com/acecruze​rs (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/acecruzphoto (external link)
http://www.incmedia.or​g (external link)

sponsored links

3,829 views & 0 likes for this thread
If life throws you a Lemon, make Lemonade!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.