Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 28 May 2009 (Thursday) 13:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

107 Year Old Woman - 35mm 1.4L

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 28, 2009 19:58 |  #16

aroundlsu wrote in post #8006215 (external link)
I envisioned this to be more of a caricature than a traditional 85mm f8 photo studio portrait.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Caricature (external link)

gibbo182 wrote in post #8007506 (external link)
a little too close i think. This close up shot doesn't look serious

Who said it was supposed to look serious?

FWIW, I think it's cool, as long as she likes it. If you're doing a caricature and she wanted/hoped for something more serious, and she doesn't like it because of the distortion, then that's not so good.

But if she still has a good sense of humor and a light heart after 107 years, then it's great!

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

sponsored links
LeuceDeuce
Goldmember
2,362 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 28, 2009 20:11 |  #17

Markitos wrote in post #8007586 (external link)

FWIW, I think it's cool, as long as she likes it. If you're doing a caricature and she wanted/hoped for something more serious, and she doesn't like it because of the distortion, then that's not so good.

But if she still has a good sense of humor and a light heart after 107 years, then it's great!

A lot of assumptions are being made about this photograph because details of the shoot were left out from the beginning.

Critique was offered on the photograph, not a caricature, because it was presented as a serious photograph asking for "tough critique". The subject certainly looks as though she's gone through a fair amount of trouble to apply makeup for the photo so I would hazard to guess that she took it seriously.

Getting tough critique, and then back peddling to generate support for your position makes it feel like this is nothing more than a thread designed to promote controversy.

As for the photograph itself, there isn't nearly enough distortion to make the shot comical. It's simply a photograph that is unflattering.

my website: Light & Shadow (external link)
my flickr (external link)

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 28, 2009 20:15 |  #18

Just to be clear, I'm not the OP--

I think by using a 35mm lens and taking a shot this close, it's clear he made a conscious decision to frame the shot that way, and it's probably intentionally unflattering. I got that before I even read a word about the shot.

If you saw this hanging on the wall, without any description, you'd be left to draw your own conclusions, positive or negative.

To say that every portrait should be shot with an 85mm lens or that it should be greatly exaggerated to show comic intent is ridiculous. This shot is non-traditional. Do I think it's amazing? Personally, no.

But all the replies suggesting a lockstep way of doing things are, I think, missing the point.

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

May 28, 2009 20:17 |  #19

It's the sort of image you might see at the end of Mulholland Drive or right before you wake up from a nightmare about when you were 4 years old and Aunt Gertrude was about to visit.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

brennasg
"Late to the party!"
1,246 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 28, 2009 20:47 |  #20

wow I am really surprised by the response on this photo...well actually I'm not..I think traditional outweighs artistic on this forum. There is nothing wrong with that..just what I have noticed.

Before I read what anyone said about it..I LOVED IT. When I saw it I certainly didnt think he took this particular pic for her to hang on her wall.

After I read what everyone says..I LOVE it even more. :)

Franklin Tn Baby Photographer (external link) | Blog! (external link) |Follow Sparkling Seal on Twitter (external link)|Facebook (external link)

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 29, 2009 00:17 as a reply to  @ brennasg's post |  #21

I find it creepy.( not her, the perspective).and I think a tad disrespectful really. But thats me. If you like it, cheers.

I think for 107 years young, a more flattering photo would have been a wise choice...but then again, I bet you took some didn't you?

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

xoldboy
577 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 29, 2009 02:10 |  #22

Would tilting her chin down a little get rid of that slight glare in her glasses? Do I see light stands?

I like the close up of the woman, not as a portrait but as a way to actually see how old she is just by the wrinkles and obvious aging marks.

Man does she cake on that make up.

Crance Studios (external link)
Camera Equipment
CPS Member Since 2009

Agamemnon
308 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 29, 2009 10:06 as a reply to  @ xoldboy's post |  #23

I agree with the ones that find that it repels rather than invites...I was actually taken aback when I first looked at it.

The texture of the skin seems very unflattering. Could be the makeup, as someone suggested.

I do admit I was expecting a portrait, and I think I still am, given that she's not really fully smiling. I think this is midway between several styles, and I can't tell what the intention is.

Ryan
Gear: My Gear

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 29, 2009 10:44 as a reply to  @ post 8007506 |  #24

Thanks for all the comments. I'm sorry if I seemed a little defensive at first.

There really is no back story. I was photographing my niece and my brother said,

"Hey my neighbor is 107 years old would you like to meet her and maybe take her picture?"

"Sure!"

So I grabbed what gear I had (The 5D, Sunpak, 35mm, and a 70-200mm 2.8L) and walked over. I took some more traditional ones with the 70-200 but none of them are photographs you would stop to look at. This one stops people in their tracks, for better or worse.

Here is another:

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3612/3558167602_ec8bce9820_b.jpg

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 29, 2009 10:45 as a reply to  @ aroundlsu's post |  #25

Now this I really like.....I love how she still looks after her appearance.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Andres14
21 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 29, 2009 10:56 as a reply to  @ Flo's post |  #26

HAHAHA if you wanted to attract attention, you got it. When I first viewed the protrait, it almost pushed me back. As if she was in my face. Almost like one of those movies where a teacher is in your face about your wrong doings.

This is obviously not a serious photo, but rather eerie and comical at the same time.

I have to give it to her though, she looks like she was having fun being photographed.

I'm sure you took more flattering ones, and this one's certainly not a wall hanger for sure.

Newborn, Baby, Family Photographer:
My Gear: 40D | 5D Mark II | 24mm-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.2 L | 28mm-135mm IS f/3.5-5.6 USM | Saving up to get the 70-200mm IS f/2.8 lens (Ouch)

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 29, 2009 21:31 |  #27

Now this is a work of art.

It has the interplay of tonalities, the story, the composition, the impact and the mystery.

Congratulations!

Bob
Quality of Light (external link), Photo Tool ver 2.0 (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

CJinAustin
Goldmember
2,361 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 30, 2009 09:52 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

My birthday is coming up; thanks for scaring the living crap out of me.

- GEAR -
Canon 1Ds Mark V | Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 7D Mark II
50 1.0L IS| 85 1.0L IS | EF 10-1000L f/1.0 IS DO USM | 17-4000L IS | 24-7000L IS | 70-2000L 2.8 IS | Canon G12 | 580EXIII | 430EXIII

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 30, 2009 14:28 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Isn't the flash bit harsh?

Gibbo
955 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 31, 2009 09:49 |  #30

Markitos wrote in post #8007586 (external link)

Maybe 'serious' was the wrong word.. I don't think it looks 'natural' (not the woman :P the perspective and positioning). I'm just saying personally, i think you could of composed differently and achieved a much more desirable and flattering shot.

6D / 5D / RX100 IV / 24L / 50L / 70-200L 2.8 IS

sponsored links

3,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
107 Year Old Woman - 35mm 1.4L
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.