Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 28 May 2009 (Thursday) 17:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Stock Photography Site Beta - Some Invites For POTN Members

lawrencedudley
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined May 2009

May 28, 2009 17:02 |  #1

Hi Guys,

This isn't meant as any kind of spam message - I think it's something that will interest you guys and benefit you all in making money out of your images :)

We've just (literally in the last half an hour) launched a limited beta of Pixelfetch.com which is a new stock photography site designed to shake up the stock photography industry.

We felt that traditional microstock sites have stagnated a bit recently - they don't keep up with trends across the internet at all and they're pretty clunky and old-fashioned and their user interfaces are horrible.

Pixelfetch is built on some pretty awesome technology and while it's very much in beta (you can't buy any images on the site for another few weeks yet), we've got a ridiculously long roadmap of features that will push stock sales up (earning you more money).

At the moment we're just looking to have a database of photographs online that we can test with and launch new features from - we're currently in soft launch mode and will be having a hard launch in a few weeks time. As beta users you'll benefit from being the only people with photos on the site when we hard launch into public mode, which should gain you extra exposure.

Your help testing the system and uploading photos is much appreciated, and we'll think of a suitable thank you to all of you who do sign up in the next few weeks as a sign of our gratitude.

Stay tuned, this is going to be big

To register please use the following link:

http://www.pixelfetch.​com …nvite=photograp​hyonthenet (external link)

There's 50 invites allocated to the above link so snap them up while you can or you'll miss out.

For those of you who sign up it should be a pretty exciting few weeks with new features being added every day or two and you'll get to play a large part in helping to shape what will, with any luck, become a one-stop shop for stock photographs.

Kind Regards and thanks for your time,

Lawrence Dudley
Director - Pixelfetch

Any questions about Pixelfetch should be directed at support@pixelfetch.com (external link) - we look forward to answering any questions or suggestions, feedback or anything else you might have for us.

sponsored links
KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 29, 2009 00:35 |  #2

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

lawrencedudley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined May 2009

May 29, 2009 04:29 |  #3

Awesome, cheers Kenji :-) It might not seem like much is going on with the site right now but we'll keep you updated and let you know when major updates occur.

ajayclicks
879 posts
Joined May 2006

May 29, 2009 05:20 |  #4

KenjiS wrote in post #8009281 (external link)

Congrats.... 75 cents per image download, free pics to bloggers

http://ajayclicks.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ajaygargphotography (external link)http://flickr.com/phot​os/ajayclicks (external link)

Spencerj
675 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 29, 2009 05:35 |  #5

have posted a few images but after i uploaded the second and third ones it still showed the first image. it didnt give me the option of adding keywords to the second or third images??? the dominent colour thing looks a bit off as well?

Flickr (external link)

hotrod100
305 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 29, 2009 05:57 |  #6

I've posted five images and I wasn't able to add keywords either....?

Rod
50D gripped, 70-200 f/4L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM,, Nifty Fifty, 430 EX II, Quantaray QDC 900WA flash, DynaTran AT 3020 tripod, Tamrac Aero 80 bag, Canon ZR900 camcorder.

lawrencedudley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined May 2009

May 29, 2009 10:58 as a reply to  @ hotrod100's post |  #7

Hiya,

If those of you having problems could send a screenshot of where the error occurred and a brief description of the problem to support@pixelfetch.com (external link) that would be awesome.

If you could also include the browser that you're using (Internet Explorer 6/7, Safari, Firefox etc) that would help us loads too.

Apologies for the teething problems but it is a beta and problems are bound to crop up here and there.

Congrats.... 75 cents per image download, free pics to bloggers

Yep, it's not going to buy you a Ferrari but the days of being able to sell, in bulk, images for hundreds of $$$ is over. Go check the commission on other stock sites - it's usually substantially lower. It's been proven you can make a decent passive income out of microstock as long as your images are good enough.

As for Bloggers, I've included the following by way of explanation - it's for a select market (there is an approval process involved) which wouldn't spend money on stock anyway.

the problem with blogs is that they don't usually make any money and hence no matter how cheap stock photographs are, the writers can't really justify spending money on images to illustrate their content.

because the readers of blogs will always be potential customers of ours we have decided to license our entire catalogue to the blogging community. for free.

this solution is good for our contributors because it gets free publicity for their images across thousands of blogs across the internet and of course it's great for bloggers everywhere because they can take advantage of stock images to spruce up their content that they couldn't previously afford.

The images that are used on the blogging side are still watermarked and are all linked to your accounts, along with a notice that they are for sale - anyone clicks on them and you have a potential sale.

Let us know if you have any other questions :-)

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 29, 2009 11:00 |  #8

it is not letting me register....

EDIT: nevermind.

David W.

lawrencedudley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined May 2009

May 29, 2009 11:10 |  #9

Glad you figured it out :-) Keep us updated and let us know how you get on. The feedback tab at the left is a great way of posting bugs/feature requests and everything else you can think of!

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 29, 2009 11:12 |  #10

quick question, say if a blog uses our photos... will we be told like we would if we sold..?

David W.

lawrencedudley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined May 2009

May 29, 2009 11:49 as a reply to  @ canonnoob's post |  #11

Very good question...

There will be a simple API which lets us limit use of free images to non-commercial blogs, and there will be full reporting information available to you as well.

The account page currently has one tab - selling, there's actually a few more in there but they're currently hidden, and one of them has all the information about blogs in it.

We can actually provide a hefty chunk of information about the blog uses - even going as far as view statistics etc.

We may put in place a limit of, for instance, 500 views for a given image on a given blog as well, this might avoid the approval process and ensure that anyone with a significant amount of traffic still purchases your images.

We want this feature to be fair to photographers and we're not trying to rip you off with it, I can see how "free" and "my photos" is quite a scary thought but it's got a lot going for it because it vastly increases the exposure of your photographs to audiences which are going to want to buy them.

Just throwing ideas around here really, so feel free to give me your thoughts!

phigment
230 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 29, 2009 13:23 as a reply to  @ lawrencedudley's post |  #12

So, I'm new to the concept of stock. When you say one cost... does that mean some large corporation can download my pic and use it on a mass marketing campaign for $1.50? Even if they post it on billboards and in magazines?

Or do they have to 'download' it for each real print they are going to make?

A7R, Firin 20mm, CV 21/4, CV 40/1.4, 100ZE, 300 4LIS, Tamron 150-600, Jupiter 8, RX100 IV

clickclickclick
530 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 29, 2009 13:47 |  #13

I joined

Scuff
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 29, 2009 15:09 as a reply to  @ clickclickclick's post |  #14

I'll start uploading a batch of accepted and best sellers from the main 'other' agencies to see what interest there is.

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

lawrencedudley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined May 2009

May 30, 2009 05:35 as a reply to  @ Scuff's post |  #15

We're just working out the licenses that photographs will be available under - we'll try our best to make it as fair to photographers as possible.

The one.price of $1.50 makes sense when targeting small businesses, but I guess the terms of it need to be restrictive in some way because I totally agree that $1.50 on a big marketing campaign is ripping the photographer off.

What do you guys think the prices for big runs and/or marketing campaigns should be? We need to be consistent in the pricing of this sort of stuff but it needs to be something both photographers and end clients will be happy with.

We're thinking some kind of print run/cost calculation kind of thing makes most sense.

sponsored links

8,409 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Stock Photography Site Beta - Some Invites For POTN Members
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.