Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 May 2009 (Thursday) 18:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Expensive Equipment Alone Does Not Make a Good Photographer

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 29, 2009 23:16 |  #16

Lighten up, Randy. Its an advertisement.

This space for rent.

sponsored links
RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 29, 2009 23:18 |  #17

mattograph wrote in post #8015281 (external link)
Lighten up, Randy. Its an advertisement.

I'm as lightened as I can get. Comments made are reflected on all posts, not focused on yours.

As a matter of fact yours appeared after I began typing so I hadn't even read it yet!

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 29, 2009 23:19 |  #18

RandyMN wrote in post #8015303 (external link)
I'm as lightened as I can get. Comments made are reflected on all posts, not focused on only yours.

Gotchya. Maybe I should lighten up! :)

But you make an interesting point with regards to the POTN community. I have a real hard spot for folks that show up once every 8 or 9 months with a "Hey, check out my blog" post that in reality leads to a site that is trying to sell me stuff.

Lots of people -- Kacey, flashzebra -- make their living in the business, yet maintain their membership in the community as MEMBERS as well as business people.

I respect them.

I don't respect this.

Or, maybe I'm reading it wrong....... If I am, I welcome the OP to tell me different....... but I got a $20 that says we don't hear from her anytime soon.

This space for rent.

nez
73 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 29, 2009 23:40 as a reply to  @ mattograph's post |  #19

although this topic has been talked about so much.............

sounds like a discussion me and my girl had, I use to play tournament paintball and always bought 1-3k guns since there is always an extra edge you have with gear.
So i though the same thing about photography, I am by all means new to it and bought the best gear i could afford simply because i feel gear will make a diff..........now when I LEARN to use it properly it will pay off :lol:

until then I am just a guy with a camera:p

-Nez

50D |Sigma 10-20 ƒ4 | 50 ƒ1.8 | 28-135 ƒ3.5 | 70-300 ƒ4
Lighting: ST-E2 | 430 EX II | 580 EX II
saving for a car rig........:confused:

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 29, 2009 23:45 |  #20

mattograph wrote in post #8015307 (external link)
Gotchya. Maybe I should lighten up! :)

But you make an interesting point with regards to the POTN community. I have a real hard spot for folks that show up once every 8 or 9 months with a "Hey, check out my blog" post that in reality leads to a site that is trying to sell me stuff.

Lots of people -- Kacey, flashzebra -- make their living in the business, yet maintain their membership in the community as MEMBERS as well as business people.

I respect them.

I don't respect this.

Or, maybe I'm reading it wrong....... If I am, I welcome the OP to tell me different....... but I got a $20 that says we don't hear from her anytime soon.

You do have a point there. And maybe you are even correct, but whether the OP ever shows back up or not we still have loads of viewers that look at the posts and all responses reflect on POTN.

I personally like this site, but sometimes I question the value of things read and wonder why I read what I do.

This thread is one of those.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 29, 2009 23:54 |  #21

RandyMN wrote in post #8015447 (external link)
I personally like this site, but sometimes I question the value of things read and wonder why I read what I do.

This thread is one of those.

I know. It's like a train wreck. You can't stop looking.

Sometimes I will go back and read something I posted, and say "I said that? What a waste of everyones time. I could have saved that time and energy for something else."

Like sleep.

..... see, I'm doing it again......:)

This space for rent.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 30, 2009 00:49 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Who cares if it's reiterated knowledge? You want reiteration, go to the equipment forum. Wait 5 minutes.
"24-70 vs 24-105"
"24-70 2.8 vs 24-105 ?"
"24-70...."

OP wanted to share an article she wrote, was looking for comments..it's a blog. That's what it's for. Maybe English isn't her first language, though, is it really worth the 30 seconds to point out just how rude you are to point out all its flaws? That said I think it was a nice enough read, and Jodi makes a good point.

I haven't made a sellable shot yet (okay that's a lie, but not many as with my 50D) with my 5D mark II yet it's leagues above the 50D in terms of expense and technology.

Likewise some days I think I shot better with my camera phone.

That said, Ryan makes a good point here:
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=8007339&p​ostcount=2
And its true, it really does open up your ballfield a lot.

Cheaper equipment is equivalent to playing in a small, unkempt ball diamond. You can still play base ball; but the ground isn't as nice to look at, there are no markings, the grass is full of holes, the dirt is soft..etc.

I'm sure you get the idea.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 30, 2009 00:49 |  #23

CannedHeat wrote in post #8010323 (external link)
Not to mention it's poorly-written. I got as far as the second sentence:

"Well I am hear to go on the record with my opinion. ..."

I am "hear"?

That mistake is probably about second-grade level.

I stopped reading at that point.

Agreed.

Christian

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 30, 2009 00:50 |  #24

Yes, but the real point is...... Do you want to purchase her acions? She takes paypal, you know.....

This space for rent.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 30, 2009 00:55 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Maybe it's the season..but certain people seem to be in a really snippy mood, lately, on these forums.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 30, 2009 01:04 |  #26

Karl Johnston wrote in post #8015757 (external link)
Maybe it's the season..but certain people seem to be in a really snippy mood, lately, on these forums.

Yes, Karl, I AM in heat. So what's your point? Either come over here and rub my tummy or leave me alone!

*where's my mydol........*

This space for rent.

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 30, 2009 10:10 |  #27

Karl Johnston wrote in post #8015731 (external link)
Who cares if it's reiterated knowledge? You want reiteration, go to the equipment forum. Wait 5 minutes.
"24-70 vs 24-105"
"24-70 2.8 vs 24-105 ?"
"24-70...."

OP wanted to share an article she wrote, was looking for comments..it's a blog. That's what it's for. Maybe English isn't her first language, though, is it really worth the 30 seconds to point out just how rude you are to point out all its flaws? That said I think it was a nice enough read, and Jodi makes a good point.

I haven't made a sellable shot yet (okay that's a lie, but not many as with my 50D) with my 5D mark II yet it's leagues above the 50D in terms of expense and technology.

Likewise some days I think I shot better with my camera phone.

That said, Ryan makes a good point here:
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=8007339&p​ostcount=2
And its true, it really does open up your ballfield a lot.

Cheaper equipment is equivalent to playing in a small, unkempt ball diamond. You can still play base ball; but the ground isn't as nice to look at, there are no markings, the grass is full of holes, the dirt is soft..etc.

I'm sure you get the idea.

While we're at it, don't you know, real photographers only use film. :lol:

Christian

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

May 30, 2009 10:22 |  #28

I have loads of expensive equipment, it does not make me a poor photographer........ but it does make me poor :-(

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 30, 2009 10:24 |  #29

nphsbuckeye wrote in post #8017166 (external link)
While we're at it, don't you know, real photographers only use film. :lol:

I thought real photographers use istockphoto?!?! :)

This space for rent.

MikeMcL
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 30, 2009 12:30 |  #30

expensive tires alone do not make a good car.
expensive clothes alone do not make a good lawyer.
expensive peripherals alone does not make a good computer.
expensive pans alone does not make a good chef.
expensive windows alone do not make a good house.

Your blog is just a statement of the obvious. you are also preaching to the choir, with it being on a photo blog... but you certainly have the right to do so.

If you want to convey this point in a more potent way, maybe name it "a photographer's skill should not be judged by the quality of the equipment" or "high dollar photo gear is not the reason my photos are better than yours".

I am not being pissy, i just think that you aren't really saying anything in the blog. it certainly hit home with the audience though, i think i saw about 75 comments on your site, and they all loved it. Quite a few said "amen" as if making a joke of your rant though, maybe they were just religious folks, i dunno.

Congrats on the successful blog.

350d, 5d, 28-70L, 70-200L, 430EX,
50 1.8, 85 1.8 - full alienbees studio set.

MikeMcLane.comexternal link

sponsored links

3,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
Expensive Equipment Alone Does Not Make a Good Photographer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.