Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 May 2009 (Saturday) 11:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Emulating multiple lights with a single flash

egaertner
120 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 30, 2009 11:24 |  #1

I was experimenting last night with a painting with light technique, that I picked up from someone else on here. Basically ISO200, F/8, 10sec in a pitch dark room, and selectively paint the subject with a flashlight. Worked fairly well, blue led light wasn't the best choice, but it got me thinking...

What about extending the idea to my 430EX. Set a 10-20sec exposure, run around to several angles of the subject, and trigger the flash each time. You could quickly emulate a very complex lighting setup on the CHEAP, especially if you had a few makeshift filters in your pocket to manipulate the light differently.

Anyone try something like this before? I may give it a go this evening

ECGphotography.com (external link)
Canon 7D :: 10-22mm :: 24-105mm f/4L :: 70-200mm f/4L :: 85mm f/1.8 :: 50mm f/1.8 :: Sigma 30mm f/1.4

sponsored links
MikeMcL
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 30, 2009 11:37 |  #2

i have done this on flowers as an experiment. I didnt like the way it looked. give it a shot and let us know.

You arent going to get a (person) to sit still enough for that length of time. Try a still life or an object.

Some people use this technique to create "ghosts" or multiple copies of themselves in a room through the fake multiple exposures. that can be neat.

If you want cheap flash get a peanut slave and a vivitar 285. then use the bounced 430 on camera to trigger it. you can get awesome strobist results like that for about 100.oo

Or get a flashzebra 15 foot cord and put your 430 off camera.

Those are just some other ideas. have fun.

350d, 5d, 28-70L, 70-200L, 430EX,
50 1.8, 85 1.8 - full alienbees studio set.

MikeMcLane.comexternal link

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 30, 2009 11:49 as a reply to  @ MikeMcL's post |  #3

Painting with light can be incredible. If you're ever seen Tony Corbell's demonstration of painting a small jet plane with light using Quantum flashes it's pretty incredible.

It does take some practice and experience but it can produce some stunning results.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

drh681
157 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 30, 2009 14:11 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #4

yeah, that might work better with a thrysistor flash
with the automatics set for your lens opening
that way the flash will have the proper exposure at any distance from the subject..

on the other hand, I have done it with the flash hand held and connectd to a shoe cord. ( camera on tripod )
I made several exposures moving the flash for each then sed the HDR in psCS3 to merge them:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i297.photobucke​t.com …ional/appltrtst​ck1web.jpg (external link)

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 30, 2009 14:18 |  #5

One of my favorite shots when I was a youngster was me playing pool with a single exposure multi flash shot. I was in the frame 5 times. Digitally, I recently did this with a model. I lit several parts of the image separately then masked them together in photoshop. It was way easier and I did not have to worry about the model moving too much and could use a short exposure to control the ambient. It certainly had a surreal look to it.
one problem you will have with the setup you describe is the model will have to be perfectly still for a period of time.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 30, 2009 14:21 |  #6

TMR Design wrote in post #8017602 (external link)
Painting with light can be incredible. If you're ever seen Tony Corbell's demonstration of painting a small jet plane with light using Quantum flashes it's pretty incredible.

It does take some practice and experience but it can produce some stunning results.

Is there a link to this?

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 30, 2009 14:35 |  #7

zagiace wrote in post #8018198 (external link)
Is there a link to this?

Not the same Photographer Robert is referring to but Ken Brown has the video shooting cars on YouTube http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=CtMQtAz250c (external link)

Kacey Enterprises (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 30, 2009 14:42 |  #8

zagiace wrote in post #8018198 (external link)
Is there a link to this?

Unfortunately this is not something that's on YouTube. It's one segment of the DVD

Tony Corbell / The Power Of Light: Location Lighting Controls

He explains the process of setup, metering and shooting pretty well.

If you're not familiar with Tony, he was one of Dean Collins students and has since gone on to make quite a name for himself.

Robert

.:MAD
30 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 30, 2009 15:58 |  #9

i made something similar using a 30 sec exposhure and flashing subject a few times just missed a few sport on the body so therse a few shadows

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

egaertner
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 30, 2009 17:57 |  #10

Well from my first attempt yesterday with the flashlight I found that lighting the face first, and then trying to avoid further lighting it while hitting other angles helped a lot. That and having a subject that can sit very very still.

ECGphotography.com (external link)
Canon 7D :: 10-22mm :: 24-105mm f/4L :: 70-200mm f/4L :: 85mm f/1.8 :: 50mm f/1.8 :: Sigma 30mm f/1.4

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,597 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 30, 2009 19:08 |  #11

Maybe useful for a group shot (flash manually at each person)

Gearlist

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 30, 2009 19:39 as a reply to  @ kenwood33's post |  #12

While painting with light will certainly work for people it is best used on static objects that you do not have to keep from moving. People will move slightly even if you ask them to stay perfectly still.

Robert

.:MAD
30 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 30, 2009 20:26 |  #13

TMR Design wrote in post #8019450 (external link)
While painting with light will certainly work for people it is best used on static objects that you do not have to keep from moving. People will move slightly even if you ask them to stay perfectly still.

true and when it happen a shadow will apear like the picture i posted above

sponsored links

1,666 views & 0 likes for this thread
Emulating multiple lights with a single flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.