Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 19 May 2009 (Tuesday) 15:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going off topic, hijacking threads........

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 31, 2009 10:08 |  #76

Tomi Hawk wrote in post #7952607 (external link)
LMAO!!!
I think the 24-105L will give you better range, but the 24-70 is faster  :p

^^ +1

Nice avatar.

I think that light is important, too.

mikekelley wrote in post #8022107 (external link)
Will i notice a difference upgrading from xsi to 40d?!?!?

Yes......

mikekelley wrote in post #8022108 (external link)
images turn out blurry!! halp!!

...your photos won't be blurry.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,164 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 01, 2009 10:44 |  #77

With the used price of the MkII these days it's a tough call unless your budget dictates the choice for you,..

MkII Vs. MkIII AF:
Between the two IMHO it's a practical wash..
The MkIII had many supposed AF improvements engineered into it,. however at launch and for over a year thereafter it was plagued with issues that prevented it taking the AF crown from the MkII.
After over a year of dealing with this and finally getting a replacement camera from Canon, I find though my new MkIII AF is at long last is excellent, however I can find no concrete evidence that it is in fact any better for Birding than the MkII. Easily Just as good, but not in a league of it's own.

MkII Vs. MkIIIfor high ISO noise handling:
This is a different story. If you need to shoot low light or simply high ISO for faster shutters, the MkIII is a significant improvement on the mkII.
Further, image quality and color are simply better all around.
One can happily shoot ISO 800 on the MKIII and compare that to ISO 400 or lower files fro the MkII. Further, the higher ISO MkIII files up to 1600 clean up amazingly well with a good NR software plugin.. resulting in images that look like they were taken again t ISO 400 or so on a mkII.
Again the overall IQ is simply stunning.

Ergonomics and Control:
The MkIII again wins in a colossal lead. Going all the way back to Canon first consumer DSLR, the D30 3MP, and there first Pro DSLR, the 1D 4.5MP, Canon was using two entirely different menu systems and control layout. While the D30 evolved to the D60, 10D and 20D, Canon made substantial improvements in the intuitive nature of the menu system. Meanwhile the MkII and MkIIn came out with virtually no change from the menu structure of the the original 1D, in fact, the 1D borrowed it;s own digital menu system from the earlier Eos 1V film systems,. to make the switch for pros from the 35mm to Digital "easier"
What this results in is an archaic menu structure, that is cumbersome and time consuming to use.

Consumer lever 10D-50D menu system = excellent,
1D-1D MkIIn.. = not so good

With the MkIII Canon combined the best of each and made it even better.
In use the MkIII is a huge improvement. Here the MkIII hits it out of the park.

The decision:
Given the cost of a used MkII, it's hard to make this decision. You are guaranteed one of the fastest focusing cameras ever made, with the longest and best track record for fast action birds, sports etc. at rock bottom price.

MkIII adds to that the negative of flaky AF on some bodies, along with the better IQ and far better ease of use.

Hope this all helps.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 01, 2009 10:49 |  #78

Mike_Jackson wrote in post #8021065 (external link)
But which AF point should I choose?

The one that works.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
10,415 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 01, 2009 13:04 |  #79

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8028311 (external link)
Hope this all helps.

Everything I ever wanted to know and then some. Mega thanks for this summary.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

10,808 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going off topic, hijacking threads........
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.