Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Jun 2009 (Tuesday) 09:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40d error 99 ???

savone
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 02, 2009 09:04 |  #1

I have a friend who just purchased a 40d. When he changes lenses and then takes a shot he gets error 99 and has to remove the battery and re-install it to make the camera work again. Anybody have any ideas? Is this fixed with a firmware update by any chance?

rang
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 02, 2009 13:29 |  #2

Do a search on this forum for that error and you will have enough reading to cure insomnia.

It is a very generic error message and there are a number of diagnostic steps to try to narrow it down to what it might be. The error 99 thread will cover them all.

-rang

Lotsa stuff, running outta room and a wife...I keep looking at her and wondering??? :lol:

MarkNDixie
32 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 02, 2009 14:19 as a reply to  @ rang's post |  #3

The error 99 is a very generic "I don't know what went wrong" kind of error, but you mentioned that it happens after changing lenses. If the lens is an older lens that is not Canon (Sigma, etc...) it might not know how to correctly communicate with the 40D. I've heard of this specifically with some Sigma lenses that required re-chipping to make them compatible with newer Canon bodies.

Other than that, you may try cleaning the contacts where the lens meets the camera on the lens. If the 40D is new, the dirty contacts are probably on the lens side of the equation.

YMMV,

-mark

EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, EF 16-35 f/2.8 L, EF 24-70 f/2.8 L, EF 100 f/2.8, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, EF 300 f/4.0 L IS, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, EF 50 f/1.8

Daz3210
21 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 07, 2009 18:04 |  #4

I have had this problem today. The only exclusive situation is that I was using a brand new memory card. Could this be the cause?

http://www.daz3210.co.​uk (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,030 views & 0 likes for this thread
40d error 99 ???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.