Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 29 Sep 2008 (Monday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 17, 2009 23:00 as a reply to  @ post 7940735 |  #226

Hikin Mike wrote in post #7939543 (external link)
Yes, they may break it down something like 6-7, 8-9, 10-12, 12+, but don't quote me for the 'official standards'. :D

felixapproach wrote in post #7940453 (external link)
I don't know if its like this everywhere, but in AZ the competitive USAG levels are 4-10 plus elite. The age groups within each level are decided at each meet independantly. The idea is have the same number of girls in each age division within each level. It can be very confusing at times because you are not always in the same "age" group. The split for "age" groups are based on birthdate not actual age as a whole number. My daughter has a team-mate who's birthday is two days apart. The whole year they were in the same group except for the last meet of the season. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I did not realize the scale of gymnastics. Most of what I see are high school teams and I very rarely see moves like I have seen on here from girls much younger.

Thanks again.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

sponsored links
Hikin ­ Mike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,354 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 17, 2009 23:43 |  #227

Thanks Felix for the break-down.

Images in the Backcountry (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

felixapproach
204 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 18, 2009 00:12 |  #228

No problem. Hard to imagine that a year and a half ago I didn't even know what compulsory was.

40d w/ grip, 75-300 f4-5.6, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 is, Bowers SFD728c, 160ws Flashpoint strobe

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 19, 2009 14:16 |  #229

2wheeler wrote in post #7940735 (external link)
BWOLFORD. Say Hi to Brad for me. (Mike from old American Twisters) Thanks.

Will do Mike.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 19, 2009 14:19 |  #230

Big K wrote in post #7940826 (external link)
Thanks for the info. I did not realize the scale of gymnastics. Most of what I see are high school teams and I very rarely see moves like I have seen on here from girls much younger.

Thanks again.

And depending on the number of athletes in each age range, there can multiple age groups. They aren't going to compete more than 15-20 girls of an age range against each other. So a meet where you could see 30-50 girls, there are probably 3-4 age groups at that particular level or even multiple levels competing at the same time.

Generally, L 10, as was explained is the highest, with Elite level a prep level for international competition and International Elite being Olympic caliber.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

machjakub
24 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 20, 2009 13:58 |  #231

Hello, my first post here and my first gymnastic shooting and first EOS 350D shooting as well.
Photos were taken at Grand Prix tournament, the elite competition of rhythmic gymnasts, which was held in the Czech Republic (Europe).
Hope you like it. Gymnastic became my very favourite event to photograph.
#1 KANAEVA Evgeniya (RUS)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

#2 SESINA Vera RUS
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#3 STANIOUTA Melitina BLR
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#3 lens: Carl Zeiss VS 35-70mm F/3.4
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

shots taken with Canon 350D, Canon 80-200/2.8, Sigma 15-30mm

lenses |=AF=| 35 1.4L | 28-70 2.8L | 80-200 2.8L | 300 2.8L non IS ||=MF=| CZ T* V-S 35-70 3.4 | Planar T* 50 1.4 | Rokkor 58 1.2 | Tokina 90 2.5 + 1:1 ext |=Acc=| Metz 58

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 20, 2009 15:16 |  #232

machjakub wrote in post #7957734 (external link)
Hello, my first post here and my first gymnastic shooting and first EOS 350D shooting as well.
Photos were taken at Grand Prix tournament, the elite competition of rhythmic gymnasts, which was held in the Czech Republic (Europe).
Hope you like it. Gymnastic became my very favourite event to photograph.
shots taken with Canon 350D, Canon 80-200/2.8, Sigma 15-30mm

Very nice work. Great clarity and noise free given the conditions and ISO. Nice work.

Brice
Gear List

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 30, 2009 10:17 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #233

Published in the local newspaper: St Pete Times - byline "Special to the Times." I'm famous! HAHA;)

She was AA champ in EVERY meet in level 9 this season, including State, Region, and Eastern Nationals. She's a machine. Perfect form and lines.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brice
Gear List

felixapproach
204 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 30, 2009 19:03 |  #234

Congrats to you both.

40d w/ grip, 75-300 f4-5.6, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 is, Bowers SFD728c, 160ws Flashpoint strobe

Tosh-san
81 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 30, 2009 19:37 |  #235

Brice,

Quite impressive!

More pics please!

fugfuggy
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 02, 2009 14:30 |  #236

Well all, it has been a long time since I posted. No more pics of my little monkey, she has decided to retire at the ripe old age of 10! Now I have thousands of dollars worth of gear with no purpose. I hope my contributions over the years have been useful and i haved enjoyed my time with the group. It has been fun to watch the girls grow up right before our eyes. Brice, your daughter is amazing!

Best wishes to you all in the future!

gymdad
225 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 02, 2009 22:31 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #237

Hey, Fugfuggy....

Even though it's been a long time since you posted, your contributions will be missed. Good luck to you, your daughter, and your family. And, I'll bet you can find some use for that expensive equipment :-)

http://flickr.com/phot​os/gymcritters/ (external link)
Canon gear

Joetaco
230 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 02, 2009 23:13 |  #238

machjakub wrote in post #7957734 (external link)
#1 KANAEVA Evgeniya (RUS)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

diggin the shot.

http://joenguyenphoto.​com/ (external link)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 03, 2009 08:10 |  #239

fugfuggy wrote in post #8036591 (external link)
Well all, it has been a long time since I posted. No more pics of my little monkey, she has decided to retire at the ripe old age of 10! Now I have thousands of dollars worth of gear with no purpose. I hope my contributions over the years have been useful and i haved enjoyed my time with the group. It has been fun to watch the girls grow up right before our eyes. Brice, your daughter is amazing!

Best wishes to you all in the future!

I'm sure you can find something productive to do with the equipment. I've found it makes great door stops, paper weights, and supports a dust collecting hobby.

Your contributions will be missed.

Brice
Gear List

mkenney99
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 03, 2009 08:45 |  #240

Hi Fugfuggy,

Thanks for all the great posts and advice on this forum. You definitely have helped me get better at shooting gymnastics!

I have one daughter still in gymnastics (just finished her Level 7 season) and another who stopped last year after Level 5. I now find myself shooting field hockey matches and track meets, and I must say it is much nicer shooting outdoors! I'm sure your daughter will find some great sports and activities to replace gymnastics, and you will be putting that equipment to good use. :)

Best Regards,
Mark

sponsored links

97,822 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.