Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 03 Jun 2009 (Wednesday) 04:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! Sandisk Ultra2 or Extreme3 for HD video

acoustique
100 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 03, 2009 04:11 |  #1

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything useful. I am thinking of buying a Canon Rebel T1i soon. I want to know if a Sandisk Ultra 2 card will be sufficient for recording 720p HD video on the T1i or do I need to buy an Extreme 3.

Sandisk Ultra 2 - 15 Mb/s (16gb)
Sandisk Extreme 3 - 30 Mb/s (8gb)

I am getting the 16gb Ultra 2 and the 8gb Extreme 3 for the same price. So i really need to know if Ultra 2 will be sufficient then I need not spend extra on the Extreme 3. Help!

5D Mark II | Pentax K100D | Rokinon 35 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Canon 50 1.8 | Pentax DA 18-55 | Flickr (external link) | Vimeo (external link)
Previous Gear - Canon 500D | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Canon 18-55 | Canon 55-250mm

sponsored links
Gnhntn
520 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 03, 2009 08:08 |  #2

Can't help with which one will be better for recording video, as I have never tried it, I have a Mini-DV Camcorder I use when I want video. But, I do know the Extreme III will give you a much, much faster download onto your computer afterwards, as I have used both for still photos. I know this wasn't much help to your original question, but figured you might want to factor in the download speed as well.

"Why is it that children know how to forgive and forget...But adults forget how to forgive?"

roastpuff
143 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 03, 2009 11:41 as a reply to  @ Gnhntn's post |  #3

The Ultra II should be sufficient - it keeps up with my 5DII's 1080p video recording just fine.

iqwertyi
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 03, 2009 12:23 |  #4

I had the same question since my brother just got the T1i and I wanted to buy him some memory.

Thanks

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 03, 2009 12:48 |  #5

I have a Canon Vixia HF s100 HD camcorder and I use 32 gig Sandisk Ultra II cards for 1080p recordings without any problem.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

rikaro
153 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 03, 2009 13:12 |  #6

Both cards doesn't make a big difference, but you rather have a fast cf card when transfering large video files to your computer

Matt Kwok
http://www.matt-kwok.com/blog (external link)

CanonHowitzer
304 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 03, 2009 13:17 as a reply to  @ rikaro's post |  #7

Get at least the Extreme III these days.
There's an Extreme IV coming out now also.

Tks.
:)

EOS 50D, 17-55/2.8, 85mm/1.8, 70-200mm/f4 IS

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 03, 2009 13:55 as a reply to  @ CanonHowitzer's post |  #8

Most HD video asks for class 4 cards as a minimum. The Extreme III cards are Class 6. While the recording times won't necessarily be different the download times are very different. The Extreme III cards should save you lots of download times, especially with larger files.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 08, 2009 14:06 |  #9

So no one has had any troubles with Extreme III or even the new IV cards?
These seem to be the good solid purchase for shooting HD video with say a 5DMKII?

bluemotion
113 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 08, 2009 23:26 |  #10

i think my next card will be an extreme 3 as it's a good balance in speed and price.. i have a slower card equivelent of the ultra 2 right now and it works fine for video on my 5dII though..

Quan
flickr (external link)
5DII | 5DII backup | 16-35mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | Macbook Pro
Complete Gear List

Bruce ­ Foreman
279 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 05, 2009 19:33 as a reply to  @ bluemotion's post |  #11

At least one fellow had problems with other brand Class (6) that wouldn't keep up with his T1i. Canon recommended SanDisk Extreme III Class (6) and his problem went away.

With the other brand the buffer would fill up and the recording mode would shut down, he was losing video.

I have the T1i and SanDisk Extreme III 8GB Class (6) cards work fine. So that's what I buy. Right now one of my cards is the 20Mbps and the newest is the 30Mbps Edition. Either works just fine.

lhughey
650 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 14, 2009 08:19 |  #12

The ultra II's are fast enough, although the transfer to your computer will be slower. The Sandisk exteme III are in the sweet spot as far as price and speed are concerned. I'm actually very impressed with the PNY cards. They are faster and less expensive than the Sandisk extreme III. See this site for CF speeds for the 5dm2 http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …ti_page.asp?cid​=6007-9784 (external link)

flickr: link (external link)

kevitivity
152 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 22, 2009 14:40 as a reply to  @ lhughey's post |  #13

I used these very cheap ($24) 8gb Kingston cards with my 5D mark II and they handle video just fine.

http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1248291​533&sr=8-1 (external link)

Blog  (external link)| Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,755 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! Sandisk Ultra2 or Extreme3 for HD video
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.