Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 May 2009 (Friday) 19:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

(UK) Do You Need a Property Release if . . . . .

Mike-DT6
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 22, 2009 19:05 |  #1

Do you need a property release if you are standing on private property to take a photograph, but the subject is a public place?

I'm aware of the rules regarding photography when in a public place, and when photographing a private place from within that private place, but I don't know about photographing a public place whilst standing on private property!

The reason why I'm asking is that quite often for landscapes the public footpaths don't always offer the best viewpoint, so I often want to go into an adjacent field to get the view that I'm after.

I don't want to get into a situation where I get into trouble if I sell a photograph of a public place that was taken from what turned out to be private land. It's not always obvious what is public and what is private when out in the countryside, so to be on the safe side, and for the sake of this question, I'm assuming that all the non-public-footpath areas are private land.

Mike

:-)

Gear list

sponsored links
Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 24, 2009 19:55 |  #2

I knew this would be a popular thread! :lol:

Gear list

nuffi
926 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 24, 2009 22:42 |  #3

The answer is no. I don't have references handy just now, but once you have taken the image you no longer require any sort of release at all.

It might be that when you're on private property you're trespassing, but that isn't a problem until someone actually asks you to leave (or there are clear signs).

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 24, 2009 23:10 |  #4

Okay, thanks. Does this apply to the UK? I'm just asking as I can't tell where you are based, in case the rules are different for where you are.

Mike

Gear list

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 03, 2009 18:08 |  #5

Just posting again as I'm hoping to clarify the information given so far.

If anyone else knows the answer to this, please feel free to jump in!

Thanks,

Mike

Gear list

superstes
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 03, 2009 20:22 |  #6

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #7971765 (external link)
Do you need a property release if you are standing on private property to take a photograph, but the subject is a public place?

Don't know, but, you will need the landowners permission first to pass on his property, if not and you take the shot, you have just provided proof against yourself that you were trespassing :D

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 03, 2009 20:34 |  #7

Yes, very true! I think I could live with that, but I don't really want to produce any images that could rightfully have their legality challenged on the basis of where I was standing when I took them! :lol:

Mike

Gear list

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 04, 2009 05:10 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Let's just say no...how're they going to prove it? "This photographer was using a 100-400 at 380 mm so he must've been in our private building while taking the picture of his subject!"

:lol:

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Scuff
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 04, 2009 14:21 as a reply to  @ Karl Johnston's post |  #9

Two parts here....

Where you are standing - private property, then you need permission to be there no matter what you are doing.

The subject - in a public place then (with the odd exception) you can photograph anything that is in public without permission.

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 04, 2009 15:50 |  #10

Thank you both. :-)

Karl, sometimes it would be obvious where the photograph was taken, if for example a certain viewpoint is only available from a certain field (private farmland for the sake of this discussion).

Scuff, I'm well aware of the first bit, and of course the second bit, but my question relates specifically to whether the legality of a photograph is affected, based on where it was taken from, i.e. where the photographer is standing (private land) and not what the photograph depicts. :-)

Mike

Gear list

sponsored links

1,350 views & 0 likes for this thread
(UK) Do You Need a Property Release if . . . . .
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.