Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Jun 2009 (Friday) 06:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The beloved L versus other lenses.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,313 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 06, 2009 11:21 |  #31

Cadwell wrote in post #8059299 (external link)
There's really not much point to this comparison unless you do so. Since colour is merely reflected light, unless the lighting is the same for all four shots it's a waste of time.

My original shots were not to compare the four lenses. One pair of shots was to compare Canon vs. Tamron, the other pair were to compare L vs non-L Canon. I have reshot all lenses, and added a fifth one to the series. In the shots you can see a bit of fence behind the MacBeth card, so that you have a real world object to see if subtle color is more apparent in better color reproduction via the L.

Here is the process I followed...I shot all lenses per gray card reading (all shot at 1/320 f/4), as rapidly as possible to keep light conditions as identical as possible. I read the RAW files into Lightroom, I put LF into grayscale mode to establish identical density of the 18% gray patch on the MacBeth card and then reverted to color mode. One of the shots (it obvious which one) is warmer than the others, so I took that shot and neutralized it in color balance with the post processing WB tool and added it to the series to see if people could figure out which shot is the WB corrected shot vs what comes out of all the lenses.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_1921.jpg

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_1922.jpg

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_1923.jpg

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_1924.jpg

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_1925.jpg

The lenses to match Number (photo) to Letter (lens):
A. Canon 70-200 f/4L (to see if you can identify the L)
B. Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (to see if you can identify the Tamron)
C. Canon 100 f/2 (to see if you can identify the prime)
D. Canon 17-55 f/2.8 (to see if you can identify the non-L zoom)
E. (the neutralized post processing)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
Anh ­ Bi
60 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 06, 2009 15:52 |  #32

What's the difference between a L and an non L lens?
Is it sharpness, speed, AF speed, build quality or all of the above?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/anh-bi/ (external link)

vadim_c
716 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 06, 2009 16:16 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

You really do not need neither 24-70 nor 70-200 in a studio. You are not going to use that 2.8 on an aspiring model under strobes so keep your money. Almost any lens will do just fine. You need highest end lenses for challanging situations such as low light, extra demand for speed etc.

Exif Internet Explorer Addon (external link).

vadim_c
716 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 06, 2009 16:17 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

Anh Bi wrote in post #8061738 (external link)

It is the red band on the end of the lens.

Exif Internet Explorer Addon (external link).

Wilt
44,313 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 06, 2009 16:49 |  #35

Anh Bi wrote in post #8061738 (external link)

http://75.126.234.18 …hp?p=8055367&po​stcount=14 (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 07, 2009 02:39 |  #36

Wilt wrote in post #8060647 (external link)
My original shots were not to compare the four lenses. One pair of shots was to compare Canon vs. Tamron, the other pair were to compare L vs non-L Canon. I have reshot all lenses, and added a fifth one to the series. In the shots you can see a bit of fence behind the MacBeth card, so that you have a real world object to see if subtle color is more apparent in better color reproduction via the L.

Here is the process I followed...I shot all lenses per gray card reading (all shot at 1/320 f/4), as rapidly as possible to keep light conditions as identical as possible. I read the RAW files into Lightroom, I put LF into grayscale mode to establish identical density of the 18% gray patch on the MacBeth card and then reverted to color mode. One of the shots (it obvious which one) is warmer than the others, so I took that shot and neutralized it in color balance with the post processing WB tool and added it to the series to see if people could figure out which shot is the WB corrected shot vs what comes out of all the lenses.

I dunno which is which, but the third one has the most contrast. The first one seems to have the least contrast and softest edges. Second is middling in contrast..second best? The last two are from the same lens, and has a contrast in the middle as well. Best edge sharpness goes to the second or the last.

Wilt
44,313 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 07, 2009 13:12 |  #37

toxic wrote in post #8064075 (external link)
I dunno which is which, but the third one has the most contrast. The first one seems to have the least contrast and softest edges. Second is middling in contrast..second best? The last two are from the same lens, and has a contrast in the middle as well. Best edge sharpness goes to the second or the last.

Gawd, I hate it when my own laziness comes back to haunt me! I set that outdoors and the shooting angle wasn't sufficiently consistent from shot to shot to to elevation differences of my standing position, causing a bit of surface sheen to arise. I'll shoot this once again, this time indoors, and this time include some flowers in the hopes that subtleties of color could also be perceived, where the MacBeth card alone might not reveal differences. The shots will be posted in the same sequence as previously, and inserted into the prior post.

Dragos ­ Jianu
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 07, 2009 15:12 as a reply to  @ post 8055476 |  #38

L ? Who is that L you're talking about? I sold my 70-200L ages ago, and only own one ultrawide L, which I find nothing special, but drag it along when I'm going on trips. Except for a few highly expensive and gorgeous L primes, I would not bother with the price, weight and size of a zoom, be it red-ringed or nay.

Shooting models using lights? Shooting flowers and insects ? What do a 24-70 or 70-200 zoom have to do with that, except looking impressive ? :)

Canon 85mm f/1.8 wide open, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro wide open on the second.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

sumadaz
152 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 07, 2009 18:14 |  #39

Dragos Jianu wrote in post #8066428 (external link)
L ? Who is that L you're talking about? I sold my 70-200L ages ago, and only own one ultrawide L, which I find nothing special, but drag it along when I'm going on trips. Except for a few highly expensive and gorgeous L primes, I would not bother with the price, weight and size of a zoom, be it red-ringed or nay.

Shooting models using lights? Shooting flowers and insects ? What do a 24-70 or 70-200 zoom have to do with that, except looking impressive ? :)

Canon 85mm f/1.8 wide open, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro wide open on the second.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Wow, I was trying to decide if I needed a prime and now I'm sold. I wanted either the 85 or the 100 but those two images make it near impossible to decide.

Personally, I have the Tamron 28-75mm and I love it. Here are some example images shot yesterday with the Tammy....

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon XTi - Opteka grip - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Canon 430ex II
SMUGMUG: www.zachsumada.smugmug​.com (external link)

Wilt
44,313 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 07, 2009 18:25 |  #40

OK, newest series, shot with a single softbox (Dynalite M500 at 62 w-s, 4040 head in Photoflex M) Same lens sequence as before...

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_1939.jpg
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_1942.jpg
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_1941.jpg
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_1940.jpg
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/WhiteBalanced-2.jpg

One L zoom, one non-L prime, one non-L zoom, one non-Canon, one balanced

noogle88
77 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 07, 2009 19:59 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

There are a lot of young, impressionable photographers on this forum that have not used brands other than Canon and who are greatly influenced by what they read online, etc.

It's a fact of life that people on forums parrot what they have read, or are very influenced by well-orchestrated marketing campaigns.

Aside from sometimes dubiously better "build quality", you don't need expensive "L" lenses to get excellent photographs.

In a controlled blind test, I don't think anyone could tell the difference between many cheaper lenses and "L" lenses.

The claims of "higher color saturation" and all these other fanciful qualities of "L" lenses is basically nonsense.

If you don't need specific features of certain L lenses, such as aperture speed or zoom range, just buy something cheaper.

Spending thousands of dollars on expensive lenses won't improve your pictures.

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 08, 2009 02:52 |  #42

noogle88 wrote in post #8067715 (external link)
There are a lot of young, impressionable photographers on this forum that have not used brands other than Canon and who are greatly influenced by what they read online, etc.

It's a fact of life that people on forums parrot what they have read, or are very influenced by well-orchestrated marketing campaigns.

Aside from sometimes dubiously better "build quality", you don't need expensive "L" lenses to get excellent photographs.

In a controlled blind test, I don't think anyone could tell the difference between many cheaper lenses and "L" lenses.

The claims of "higher color saturation" and all these other fanciful qualities of "L" lenses is basically nonsense.

If you don't need specific features of certain L lenses, such as aperture speed or zoom range, just buy something cheaper.

I have noticed that my L glass is a bit faster on the AF then my non "L" glass and hunts a lot less in low light (though to be fair the only non L glass I have is a 50 1.8 and a tammy 17-50 2.8)

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 08, 2009 03:00 |  #43

Disagree there. Color is where I see the biggest difference outside of build quality.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,905 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 08, 2009 03:09 |  #44

All true.

You can when shooting at apertures of F/2.8 or faster, images not processed beyond "faithful", and viewed or printed at large enough sizes.

See above.

All true again.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 3 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jun 08, 2009 03:28 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

In Wilt's test (which I took blind) I preferred the 70-200 and the 17-55.

I'd have to say, L lenses do seem to have a colour advantage. IMHO the colours from my 200 2.8L and 24-105L seem richer and just nicer most of the non-L lenses I've owned/tried (17-55 is the exception, though generally I prefer the 24-105 colours...)

Maybe it's just my imagination though...

sponsored links

11,047 views & 0 likes for this thread
The beloved L versus other lenses.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.