Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Jun 2009 (Sunday) 08:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why is LR so slow here ?

Davidoff
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 07, 2009 08:50 |  #1

I'm using LR on my laptop, dual 2.4Ghz processor, 2Gb ram. Still, LR is very very slow, and I'm working with 6mp photos. All the power saving options are off and I'm not using other applications at the same time. Just so you get an idea of how slow it is, imagine this example, the tint on a photo is 10, but I want it to be 19. So I select the 10 and quickly type 19. Afterwards I have to sit and look at the photo going to a tint of 1, stay that way for a bit, and then add the 9 and display the correct tint.

My website (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
Sports_Dude
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 07, 2009 09:29 |  #2

Are any of your other programs slow? I think it has something to do with your laptop. I use LR on a Dell Inspiron 9300 (from 2005) rather than the software. The only lag my laptop has is at statup when it loads the pictures.

Sports_Dude
7D Gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | 580EXII

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 07, 2009 10:14 |  #3

That doesn't sound "normal", David. What version of LR do you have? I know that the earliest versions of LR2 had some slowdowns (as did the earliest versions of LR1). Have you upgraded to the latest?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Davidoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 07, 2009 13:08 |  #4

The other programs aren't this slow. I'm using 2.3, isn't that the latest ?

500px (external link)

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 07, 2009 15:52 |  #5

I would not use LR2 specifically on a laptop. Just MHO.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 08, 2009 08:01 as a reply to  @ Mike55's post |  #6

When was the last time you optimized your catalog? It might help a little, but not much.

Where are your files located, on the built-in hard drive or an external? How full is your hard drive? What type of graphics card do you have (Nvidia perhaps)?

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 08, 2009 08:56 |  #7

What task are you running that makes it seem slow? Sometimes it is best to perform some task in Library mode and some in Develop mode.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

Davidoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 09, 2009 17:43 as a reply to  @ taygull's post |  #8

They're on a built-in drive. It's mostrly slow while loading images and doing adjustments in the develop module.

500px (external link)

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 09, 2009 18:37 |  #9

and you have all the spy-ware stuff clean?

what is your hard drive size? Scratch space? free space?
Last time you scanned error checking?
Last time defragged?

check: start-up config or down load revo uninstaller- in the tool section you can see the programs that open during startup. Adobe stuff and google can be turned off as well as other possible item.

I am with Mike55 - your system would be a little limiting(lap top).

Later,
_Mark

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 09, 2009 18:49 |  #10

There are some Lightroom settings that can slow Lightroom down. If, for example, you have the metadata set to automatically write to and XMP external file, that can slow things down. Also, if you have the system set to automatically render 1:1 previews on import then you will find that going in the background after an import when you are trying to work on images. They try to do it "nicely", but still...

Maximize your RAW and your free hard drive space, and you also might want to investigate your graphic card related to LR 2. LR2 uses the graphic card in a way LR1 does not, so there may be issues there.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Davidoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 13, 2009 07:31 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #11

I checked all those factors, defragged, spyware, freed up disk space, etc. But I think the problem's a bit more serious, as it just started turning itself off at random times. Formatting time I guess. Still, thank's a lot everyone, I'll keep those tips in mind when I re-install LR.

500px (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 13, 2009 07:33 |  #12

I do not own LR, so take this FWIW -- When Adobe BRIDGE is slow, I delete all cached thumbnails and, like magic, it is back to normal.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Victoria ­ Bampton
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 13, 2009 08:15 |  #13

Davidoff wrote in post #8102011 (external link)
But I think the problem's a bit more serious, as it just started turning itself off at random times. Formatting time I guess.

FWIW, turning off by itself is more often a hardware issue. Dying power supply or overheating would be initial thoughts.

Victoria :D
Lightroom Queen website (external link)
Free & Comprehensive Lightroom Books (external link)
Free List of Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts (external link)

Davidoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 13, 2009 08:29 as a reply to  @ Victoria Bampton's post |  #14

I don't know if it's the power supply, as it happens when it's plugged in but also when it's on battery power. I sould format soon, because the people at the store where I bought this will just say it's because I installed windows myself ( instead of paying them to do it ) so it's my problem. At least if I clean it up I'll be a bit more secure on it being a hardware issue and using it's warranty. What's the maximum temperature I should be getting with this laptop ?

( after running a stress test for 6 minutes, the cpu is at 95ºC, 203 ºF ... too much ? )

500px (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 13, 2009 09:35 |  #15

^^ You do not have a software problem if the machine is shutting down.

So, the store should not say that to you -- Check with them, you have nothing to lose.

Backup your drive, take it in.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

2,542 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why is LR so slow here ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.