Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Jun 2009 (Monday) 15:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Man, most people don't know how to use cameras.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 08, 2009 15:10 |  #1

Just got back from a few days in Seattle. I have been re-educated on how little most people know about photography and using their cameras.

Example A: On top of the space needle at night. Can't even count how many people were confused why their night cityscape shots did not work. Everyone was using flash and/or no tripod. This includes plenty of SLR users. Also, We were staying on the 43rd floor of the Westin facing the Space needle. Opening my curtains at night and facing the space needle you could see the flash bursts going off about every 5 seconds. Do people really think they are going to light up the whole city with their pop up flash! :)

Example B: Seattle aquarium. Everyone trying to take pictures from 2 feet away from the glass with pop up flash and then chimping in disgust at their pictures of white glare. This includes a 5Dmk2 user with a 17-40L. I tried to help one kid with a Sony by telling him not to use flash and get close to the glass. "I tried but it keeps popping back up!"

There were many other examples, but I am sure I am preaching to the choir here. I just can't beleive so many people would spend $700-$3000 on a camera and then not even skim the manual.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links
CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2009 15:15 |  #2

Don't you know, the more money you spend the better the pictures come out?

Christian

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 08, 2009 15:20 |  #3

does the 5dmkII have a pop up flash- wow I guess I don't know very much about DSLR's.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,277 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 08, 2009 15:25 |  #4

Maybe it's a super-flash capable of delivering 1 bazzilion watt second flash.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 08, 2009 15:30 |  #5

birdfromboat wrote in post #8072657 (external link)
does the 5dmkII have a pop up flash- wow I guess I don't know very much about DSLR's.

Wow, you bring up a good point! Perhaps I misread the camera. It 'twas a 17-40L, though. Maybe a 50D? I know I saw a 5 :)

Taylor

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2009 15:35 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #6

Doesn't bother me at all. Not one bit.

You wanna use direct flash against a fish tank glass with your fancy gear that you don't know how to use? Be my guest. You probably can afford to do so, and hey, good for you.

You wanna drive a $200,000 European manual shifting car even though you don't know how to drive manual and burn it out? Go for it. I wish I was in your shoes and had that kind of money to burn!:lol:

I don't go around playing Mr. Good Samaritan showing people how to use their cameras b/c I figure that must make some people feel I am being a tad condescending. I get the fair share of overzealous photographers just itching to give me "pointers"...cuz you know, with my gear, I must look like I have no idea what I am doing and there must be that ONE way to take THAT photo. It's annoying, but I laugh it off.

You really want to know why people spend thousands of dollars in camera gear and not skim through the manual?

Because they can...

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 08, 2009 15:38 |  #7

tkbslc wrote in post #8072602 (external link)
Just got back from a few days in Seattle. I have been re-educated on how little most people know about photography and using their cameras.

Example A: On top of the space needle at night. Can't even count how many people were confused why their night cityscape shots did not work. Everyone was using flash and/or no tripod. This includes plenty of SLR users. Also, We were staying on the 43rd floor of the Westin facing the Space needle. Opening my curtains at night and facing the space needle you could see the flash bursts going off about every 5 seconds. Do people really think they are going to light up the whole city with their pop up flash! :)

Example B: Seattle aquarium. Everyone trying to take pictures from 2 feet away from the glass with pop up flash and then chimping in disgust at their pictures of white glare. This includes a 5Dmk2 user with a 17-40L. I tried to help one kid with a Sony by telling him not to use flash and get close to the glass. "I tried but it keeps popping back up!"

There were many other examples, but I am sure I am preaching to the choir here. I just can't beleive so many people would spend $700-$3000 on a camera and then not even skim the manual.

Why not! I have seen people try to light the moon up. Pity the poor astronaut/moon gerbil getting a scare when that flash hits them.

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 08, 2009 15:46 |  #8

nicksan wrote in post #8072736 (external link)
You wanna drive a $200,000 European manual shifting car even though you don't know how to drive manual and burn it out? Go for it. I wish I was in your shoes and had that kind of money to burn!:lol:

You really want to know why people spend thousands of dollars in camera gear and not skim through the manual?

Because they can...

Your car example reminds me of a funny, extremely rich couple that my dad was friends with. She bought her husband a new $125k porsche and he drove it once and decided it was too rough and sporty for him. She couldn't drive a manual. So it sat in the garage untouched. It is probably still there.

Maybe I am just jealous ;)

Taylor

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2009 15:49 |  #9

We all are...we all are!:lol:
Grass is ALWAYS greener...unless you are Bill Gates.;)

tkbslc wrote in post #8072804 (external link)
Your car example reminds me of a funny, extremely rich couple that my dad was friends with. She bought her husband a new $125k porsche and he drove it once and decided it was too rough and sporty for him. She couldn't drive a manual. So it sat in the garage untouched. It is probably still there.

Maybe I am just jealous ;)

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 08, 2009 15:58 |  #10

Then you have the guy with a $400 camera who is CONVINCED he's the next master and will tell you, heck even fight with you that he knows what is best.

I've seen them in the lens and body forum...

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2009 15:59 |  #11

Hmmm...not me. I'm in the nice gear/no talent group right alongside MDJAK.:lol:

cosworth wrote in post #8072884 (external link)
Then you have the guy with a $400 camera who is CONVINCED he's the next master and will tell you, heck even fight with you that he knows what is best.

joe ­ mama
666 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 08, 2009 16:06 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

nicksan wrote in post #8072736 (external link)
Doesn't bother me at all. Not one bit...You really want to know why people spend thousands of dollars in camera gear and not skim through the manual?

Because they can...

As you, it doesn't bother me a bit, either. In fact, the more that buy the equipment that I use, the more of it that will be made, and the cheaper it will get. So, God bless them all!

However, I do disagree with your assessment that the spend thousands of dollars in camera gear and don't read the manual "because they can". No, I think they buy it because they think the equipment will deliver the goods all by itself, and they don't even have enough knowledge to understand the manual. Mind you, I'm not slighting them by saying this. Do you know how long it was before I figured out what the purpose of an f-ratio was? I think I only learned what a shutter was two years ago (I thought the mirror was the shutter!).

But I also agree with not offering advice unless it's solicited. It might be helpful to them, but it might offend them. Since we're not talking life, eye, or limb, and there's nothing in it for me, I find it best to leave things as they are.

On the very rare occasions that people do solicit my advice, I always try to keep it super simple and brief -- the exact opposite of my persona on internet forums. In the case of the flashes for the cityscapes, I'd probably say something like, "Put it in P Mode so the flash doesn't pop up, and try to rest against something to hold super still." No discussion of aperture, no discussion of ISO, no discussion of IS. Just something super simple and quick that just might get them a pic that is usable.

Some may be wondering, by the way -- why am I not more like that on the internet forums? Well, now the answer is as it was: because I can. : )

--joe

www.josephjamesphotogr​aphy.com (external link)
www.pbase.com/joemama (external link)

Duncan ­ Frenz
Purposely evaded the TF
1,553 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 08, 2009 16:09 |  #13

I'll have you know, it cost me $442.00 after taxes and accessories!

- Duncan
Gear_Mor
e than I need, Less than I want
Nonconformists are all alike.
I am not an expert, but I play one on the internet.:D

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 08, 2009 16:13 |  #14

I have not seen the fights but I have heard stories of them whispered in dark corners of New Westminster bars.:D

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,282 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2009 16:20 |  #15

It doesn't bother me. There are millions of people with cameras - some expensive, some not - who know nothing about the finer points of photography, and have no desire to. Why let it bother you? It's a bit condescending to look down on them and get annoyed. They're not interested - live with it. For instance, when I read some of the atrocious English on this forum, it annoys me no end - but, to the perpetrators, it's not important. It's all the same thing.

sponsored links

31,399 views & 0 likes for this thread
Man, most people don't know how to use cameras.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.