Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 08 Jun 2009 (Monday) 22:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I have ZERO knowledge of the global economy, but I'm going to post this anyway

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 08, 2009 22:02 |  #1

I just want to say that it is interesting that Apple is dropping prices across it's notebook line, but Canon is raising prices across it's camera and lens line. The price drops were announced today at the WWDC keynote.

I like speculation, so let's discuss why that is happening here. Are they hoping to increase sales by dropping prices? Why not raise prices, like Canon?

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links
volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 08, 2009 22:15 |  #2

I'm not 100% sure myself, but I believe Apple computer sales have been down so far this year. I own a Macbook, but if I didn't truly enjoy the Mac experience I would go for a PC for no other reason than price. I understand that one of the reasons PCs are much more inexpensive is because of the bloatware, but when it comes to dollars I can reformat and get rid of that junk for far less $$$.

Apple has a great niche with its computers, but with Windows 7 on the horizon I'm guessing that lowering prices is probably an attempt to pry away a few more PC users before the new release arrives. Canon and Nikon enjoy huge market shares while Apple has a long way to go as far as computers go.

I'm also curious why lens prices have jumped so dramatically over the past year. I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, but I haven't run across it yet.

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 08, 2009 23:07 |  #3

For one, Canon's prices may depend more heavily on the Yen whereas I know nothing about where Apple manufacturs their product.

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 09, 2009 00:05 |  #4

China and Japan, to my knowledge.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 09, 2009 00:51 as a reply to  @ mikekelley's post |  #5

It's quite a totally different scenario.

"Apple is dropping prices across it's notebook line" for the same spec machine, top of line stuff are still about the same. Also, obviously, they need to compete with Windows.

Lens don't have replacements nor "newer versions" as frequent. When 60D/5D3 come out 50D/5D2 prices will drop. When/If 24-70 f/2.8 IS comes out the current 24-70 f/2.8 price will drop. Until then for them there's no reason to (not that they can't, they just don't).

5D3 and a few lens
es.

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 09, 2009 00:58 |  #6

Well one thing is for sure, I didn't hesitate to purchase one of the new 32GB iphones. I remember thinking they were very expensive, but after spending so much on photo gear (especially lenses) I think I've become desensitized. Dangerous..

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 09, 2009 08:16 |  #7

HyperYagami wrote in post #8075603 (external link)
It's quite a totally different scenario.

"Apple is dropping prices across it's notebook line" for the same spec machine, top of line stuff are still about the same. Also, obviously, they need to compete with Windows.

Lens don't have replacements nor "newer versions" as frequent. When 60D/5D3 come out 50D/5D2 prices will drop. When/If 24-70 f/2.8 IS comes out the current 24-70 f/2.8 price will drop. Until then for them there's no reason to (not that they can't, they just don't).

These are the newest models though. The most new, updated, top of the line computers are cheaper than what they used to be.

I bought a 2.66 ghz 17" macbook pro in january for $2800. They unveiled the 2.8ghz 17" mbp at a price of $2500 today. That would be like Canon introducing a 24-70IS for $1100 today, and discontinuing the 24-70L non IS.

slappy ­ sam
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 09, 2009 17:51 |  #8

Lenses and computers are completely different things.

Computers devalue so quickly that they have to constantly lower prices/improve specs to keep up with other manufacturers.

There arent any huge advancements in lens technology and as such the prices are pretty much the same across the board, and stay the same. Lens prices have gone up due to the weakening of the dollar and in comparison the stability of the chinese and japanese currencies (as far as I know), as well as increased transportation costs due to the spike in gas prices last summer.

40D|10-20|17-50|70-200|580ex
FS: XT with 2 OEM batteries

kosin
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 10, 2009 12:05 |  #9

That's simple: Apple lowers the prices to gain more Microsoft's customers and have bigger market share, where Canon is already a leader here. Also price marketing (lowering the prices) isn't good for the company, it is only good for customers...

Greg Gard
=> www.greggard.com (external link)
follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/greggardphoto/ (external link)

badgerW
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 11, 2009 11:22 |  #10

As others are saying, lenses are not computers. The comparison would be to camera bodies, as they use CMOS sensors, processors, RAM, etc.... all things which are getting cheaper and cheaper to produce. Look up "Moore's Law" if you want more info. Anyway, I can't remember the exact details, but there have been times when Canon has introduced a newer body with better specs at a cheaper price than the model it's replacing. For example, this happened with the 350D/XT to 400D/XTi transition; Canon dropped the price $100 but the XTi was obviously an upgrade.

Really you just have to look at the competitive landscape. Apple is facing pricing pressure, especially on laptops. No a PC isn't a Mac (I'm a Mac user myself) but when you can buy 2 PC laptops for the price of the cheapest Mac laptop then things start to look awry. Same with Canon; when Nikon/Sony/Olympus/etc​. puts out a new body with more megapixels at a lower price, Canon has to respond. There simply isn't as much competition in the lens world, since lenses aren't interchangable across DSLR lines. Thank goodness for the Sigmas and Tamrons of the world, or else we would be really screwed.

Gear

SteveBrown
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 12, 2009 08:27 |  #11

I would love to have a mac, in fact I tried one for about 2 weeks and loved it. However I could not justify almost $3000 for a laptop. Most of the components from the processor and video card are IBM compatible anyways. I bought a dell for $1500, with more stuff on it, like a blu-ray player, bluetooth, and a HD screen.

If they priced themselves at or very near a PC, Apple would dominate IMO. My wife went to a place called Shipwreck beads in Olympia Washington, they ran their business on macs. First business I have seen like that, and this is the biggest bead store and supplier in the nation, they import 90% of the beads for America. I think they had about 50 macs the lady said. That is not the norm for business's that I see.

Nikon D300 and other non canon stuff, I just like this place. MOOOHAHAHAHA :p

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 14, 2009 01:22 |  #12

Photography is for people who cares about getting the last 5% of the details. Computer is a mostly functional tool to accomplish specific task. It will have a completely different marketing technique.

I see this often in Audiophile store. If a pair of speakers are marketed at a higher price that indicates "audiphile" quality, it will often be more succesful. There are some truly awful sounding speakers at >$10k. Not to mention the $1000 speaker cables.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

sponsored links

609 views & 0 likes for this thread
I have ZERO knowledge of the global economy, but I'm going to post this anyway
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.