Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jun 2009 (Monday) 22:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Improve focusing by upgrading from 300D?

anti42
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 08, 2009 22:09 |  #1

Hi everyone. I have an original Rebel 300D I purchased when it first came out. I currently use the new 18-55IS not the original, the 55-250IS, and 100 macro. I would love the autofocus to be faster and more accurate. It would also be great to have a bigger display on the body to review the pictures focus, the 300D screen is tiny and nearly worthless except to see if someone closed their eyes...

Would a newer Rebel body have an improved autofocus or would I need to move up to the 40D/50D? I seem to always read about Nikons autofocus system being better but I don't know if thats just Nikon-lover talk or the truth.

Thanks.

sponsored links
Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 08, 2009 22:52 |  #2

I just went from a 350D to a 40D and am extremely happy with the focusing abilities. I have a lot more keepers from taking pictures of even static objects. The rate for pictures with movement is an even bigger difference.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

Mac
274 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 09, 2009 12:49 |  #3

I went from the 300D to the 40D. I noticed an improvement right away. The 100-400 was a completely different lens after the upgrade, and my 28-75 and 70-200 shows some slight improvement. I didn't notice it so much on my ultra wide though.

Sean
www.akamac.com (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 09, 2009 13:01 |  #4

anti42 wrote in post #8074891 (external link)
Hi everyone. I have an original Rebel 300D I purchased when it first came out.

I was in your position about 2 months ago. I chose the 50D over the new rebel for a few reasons:
1. The newer rebels are even smaller than the 300D. The 50 felt much better in my hands.

2. Build quality

3. focusing modes

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,098 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 09, 2009 13:09 |  #5

All of the latest bodies will be a significant improvement in AF over the 300D,. that said, the 30D-50D will be better.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,877 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 09, 2009 13:16 |  #6

Any of the newer cameras will give much improved speed and accuracy over the 300D. As your current body sort of falls between the xxxD and the xxD lines in size you have to ask yourself, do you want to go bigger or smaller body wise? These days the difference in image quality and even performance is not that great so if you want a bigger body, get the best your budget can afford from either the 30D, 40D, or 50D. If you like smaller, do the same between the XTi, XSi, and Ti1.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 09, 2009 13:39 |  #7

I cast my vote with those for whom the current Rebel bodies aren't shaped/size for comfortable holding. I tried an XSi in a store and found that the grip was way too narrow, such that I had to kind of pinch the grip, which wasn't comfortable. A grip that one's hand falls naturally onto without fingertips banging into the body is invaluable in comfort in the long run. My hands aren't particularly big, but the 50D and 5D2 still physically fit me better. Of course, YMMV.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 09, 2009 16:20 |  #8

If you really want better AF, then look into the 40D or 50D. The 20D and 30D are a step up, but the 40D and 50D system is another significant step up.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jun 09, 2009 16:38 |  #9

The 300D is a great camera, but it is long in the tooth. I still have one, use it as a back up.

I think it feels a lot better than the new Rebels... so if you like that feel, I'd totally go with a 40D or 50D, or even a used 5D if you can swing it.

anti42
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 10, 2009 12:17 |  #10

Thanks everyone. I think I will look more seriously into a new body. I don't care so much about the upgrade of megapixels as my current 6MP looks fine printed 4x6 or 8x10 but the other improvments in the past 6 years are what I am after, specifically more accurate focusing and exposure and the better display.

I think I will stop by a store and see how a new model feels in my hands, I am 6'3" so the bigger grip may be better then going to a smaller grip. I would also love to have a quicker/easier option for changing ISO and other settings then how its done on my 300D. If there is a difference between models of having a bigger and brighter viewfinder I am all for that as well.

One more thing I noticed on my 300D. The lenses (all of them) do not seat 100% tightly on the body. What I mean is I can move or rotate them a slight amount, very slight but they still move. Is that normal? the lens is not fully rigid and unmovable when attached.

Bodog
Goldmember
1,306 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 10, 2009 12:37 |  #11

picturecrazy wrote in post #8079412 (external link)
If you really want better AF, then look into the 40D or 50D. The 20D and 30D are a step up, but the 40D and 50D system is another significant step up.

Yes, skip the 30D. I hope the newer models are better. Wish I had waited... In anything but bright sunlight, the only consistently usable focus point is the center.

JimE
Color? It's all relative...

sponsored links

967 views & 0 likes for this thread
Improve focusing by upgrading from 300D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.