Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2009 (Tuesday) 20:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

New Rebel XS with old flash...oops???

hauchinango
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 09, 2009 20:05 |  #1

I am new to dSLR and hope I didnt break my new cam.

I had an old, I mean old slr camera with flash (cannon speedlite188a http://www.cameramanua​ls.org/flashes_meters/​speedlite_188a.pdf (external link) ) that I got as a hand-me down.

I never used it but after getting my new cam yesterday, I thought I would try the old flash to see if it would work on my new cam.

Well, it didnt. As a matter of fact, the old flash didnt do anything.

After looking at some posts trying to see if this could work, it seems as though I may have harmed my new cam by doing this. All seems well with it, but I could use a bit of reassurance.

Thanks

rms2005
37 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 09, 2009 21:10 |  #2

I also have that same flash, I think from my old ae1. I hooked it up to my xsi when I first got it and as you said, the flash didnt work but my camera still does. you say it seems you may have harmed your new cam, why do you think so? is there something not working right?

If Bigger Is Better, Then To Much Is Just Enough.
50d-28-135/100-400

PKSmith
207 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 09, 2009 21:17 |  #3

I don't thing that you could have done anything to hurt your camera. I wonder why the 188a's wont work. My 199a works perfectly.

| Rebel XSi | EF-s 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 70-200 f/4L | Speedlight 199A |

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 09, 2009 21:17 |  #4

It doesn't work? The old A-series flashes should work. And if I can recall correctly, they sync at low voltages, around 4-5 volts so it's safe to use on your dslr.

I have a Speedlite 199A which I used on my old AE-1, and I've also used it on all of my modern bodies, and it works. But it doesn't work in dedicated mode... you gotta set your aperture on your flash (I think the 188A has only two Auto Thyristor settings) and then set the aperture/ISO on your camera to match it.

If it really doesn't work, then I'd be surprised.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

hauchinango
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 10, 2009 06:58 |  #5

Well, the cam works fine. I was just concerned as I read some other posts on other sites about connecting older flashes to newer cams, and this causing problems.

As far as the flash working, I guess my question would be is it really worth it to mess with the old flash or should I just buy something from this century?

jblaschke
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 10, 2009 09:42 as a reply to  @ hauchinango's post |  #6

Many of the older, pre-digital flashes used on 35mm film cameras operate at a much higher voltage than the current ones designed for digital use. Which means the potential exists for them to fry the electronics in a DSLR if mounted on the hot shoe.

I do not know if the very old FD body flashes operate at a lower voltage or not. If your camera survived the experiment with no obvious ill effects, you're good. But I wouldn't put it back on your camera. Invest in a new digital flash.

That doesn't mean you should throw away your old flash, though. Pick up a PC port hotshoe adapter (~$14) and an optical slave trigger (~$12) from someone like Flash Zebra and you can use it for off-camera strobist-style lighting. Definitely worth considering.

Canon 7D | Canon 50D IR modified | Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | Canon FD 500mm 8.0 Reflex | Canon EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk I | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Meade 645 (762mm f/5)
Model Mayhem (external link) | DeviantArt (external link) | Lisa On Location: New Braunfels Photography (external link)

hauchinango
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 10, 2009 12:21 as a reply to  @ jblaschke's post |  #7

Thanks you very much for the info. Will hold onto it.

fe79
34 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 10, 2009 12:48 as a reply to  @ hauchinango's post |  #8

The sync voltage of the 188a seems to be OK according to this site:
http://www.botzilla.co​m/photo/strobeVolts.ht​ml (external link)

As for it not working, keep in mind that newer DSLR cameras do not support the automatic modes of older flashes.
- First, test that the flash actually works (push the pilot light to test-fire).
- Set the flash to manual mode (move the vertical switch on the left-hand side to its lowest position).
- If necessary, tape over all pins except the centre pin.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

3,812 views & 0 likes for this thread, 6 members have posted to it.
New Rebel XS with old flash...oops???
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.