Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 11 Jun 2009 (Thursday) 14:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&W landscape

jhkphoto
305 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 11, 2009 14:34 |  #1

cant decide how i feel about this shoot... what do you think?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.johnkepchar.com (external link)
@TAPphotoStudio
https://www.instagram.​com/tapphotostudio/ (external link)
White Backgrounds in your product photography: Video Tutorial
https://youtu.be/q286a​-4lqqE (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 11, 2009 14:37 |  #2

Too symetrical IMO...

Either a lot more sky and skinny sand or a lot more sand and skinny sky would be more dramatic.

Also, a more aggressive B&W conversion would give it more pop. As it is, there are many very similar tones.

The location looks wonderfully desolate however! ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

ScPhotoMom
Goldmember
2,312 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 11, 2009 14:39 |  #3

Its too plain to me but overall a good shot

My Flickr (external link) - My Gear -My facebook (external link)
Canon 7d Mark II - Canon 40D - Canon 580ex - Canon 28-135mm(3.5) - Canon EF 17-55mm(2.8) - Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - Canon 85mm 1.8

CanonBitch
76 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 11, 2009 16:32 |  #4

I bet those colours would be stunning with a bit of Photoshop. Try this PP - http://p0rg.deviantart​.com …y-Color-Tutorial-82618237 (external link)

And a subject, like a beautiful girl, would increase the interest in the photo. ;)

http://canonbitch.devi​antart.com/ (external link)

Logan2010
182 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 11, 2009 16:47 |  #5

to bland imo.
i think it would look better in color.. especially if you have a really vibrant sky. ..?

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 11, 2009 17:38 |  #6

Well, shoot, let me take a contrary view here -

even before reading the other comments, I thought, "WOW! I like this."

I like the symmetry, that the top and bottom are somewhat mirror images of each other - moving from the outside in, a darker region, a lighter region, a band, and then meeting in a black line. This symmetry and balance allows the black line to successfully be in the center of the frame - (I can just hear people screaming "Rule of Thirds! Rule of Thirds!").

As far as the complaint that their is not enough going on, I most strongly disagree. This shot - being very nearly an abstract - is about regions, spaces and textures. And the textures is "what's going on". On the ground, the stones, near and far, as well as the way the sand plays with the vegetation is plenty of interest, and in the sky the wispy clouds perfectly compliment what's happening on the ground.

Technically, you nailed it. Exposure is perfect, low key processing is perfect for the scene. (Not all photographs need "punch" - it takes either talent or education or both to know what a scene needs, and I don't know about your education, but the talent is evident.) Control of your depth of field is perfect giving the viewer a crystal clear look at the foreground, midground and background.

All in all, this is very well done. Printed well, I could see this winning, or at the very least ribboning, in competition. I wish it was mine.

Congrats,

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

Photo-by-Leal
641 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 11, 2009 17:49 |  #7

nice B&W but I am not feeling it.....

 - angel m. leal jr. - 

radloser
275 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 11, 2009 18:44 |  #8

In this one there is no real reason to break the rule of thirds. There's also no real subject or somewhere to rest your eyes. Another problem is a lack of tonal quality. I would have found something that added a dark tonal quality and texture to the shot and then worked with some highlights and and colors to get the tonality right.

BillsImages.com (external link)
Canon A620
Nikon D300 and D80 - I know, shut up!

gamec0mmander
232 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 11, 2009 19:42 |  #9

It's ehhhhh. Iono. Maybe more contrast would help, but it think when you show such a desolate beach, it would be a great to have at least one object to focus on (like a human shadow or an interesting plant)

www.dragomirstudios.co​m (external link)

telephoto500
155 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 12, 2009 01:06 |  #10

i think either go more abstract or get more detail and contrast, this shot feels uninterpreted, without opinion....raw, but if thats what your going after...

shuttertreasure.com
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/138443754@N08/ (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 12, 2009 01:29 |  #11

the bisecting horizon turns me off, but I think it's a photo--and certainly an area--worth exploring.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Akire
134 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 12, 2009 01:38 |  #12

I agree with Radtech, I really like it. This is frame-able without being obnoxious or "challenging." you can enjoy it for its simplicity. Reminds me of fine art photography that is being featured in my area. good work!

www.brierphoto.com (external link)
www.brierphoto.blogspo​t.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,079 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&W landscape
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.