Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jun 2009 (Friday) 07:49
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "1DIII or 5DII"
1DIII
59.2%
5DII
40.8%

76 voters, 76 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DIII or 5DII - which one for ME???

aridan
Goldmember
2,882 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 12, 2009 07:49 |  #1

OK, folks… I've gone through numerous threads discussing the ultimate war between the 1D III and the 5D II. I'm familiar with the differences, am aware of the pros and cons of each. The debate is pretty much split 50%-50%, but I was wondering if someone could help me recommend the right body FOR ME.

Quick overview of the two bodies:

1DIII
- Better, more extensive, and faster AF system
- 10fps
- 10mpx
- Shorter shutter lag
- Better build
- DIGIC III
- 1.3 crop
- Live View

5DII
- 21.1mpx
- Better handling of high ISO
- Better screen
- HD
- Longer shutter lag
- Inferior AF (compared to the 1DIII)
- Live View
- DIGIC IV
- FF

My current EF lenses line
50L, 70-200 f2.8 IS L, 100-400L

Lens purcahses planned on the horizon
24-70L, 16-35L

Main photography uses
Family (we have a 1.5 yr. old daughter, and twins on the way), automotive, aviation, track (race) days, air shows, and then some landscape/cityscapes.

My photography evolves roughly around 70% - 75% on family pictures, and the rest is fast moving objects as described above. However, even when shooting the family, often times, I try to track my daughter running around in the yard, and my 40D's focusing system fails measirably (I get about 50% keepers at best). A faster focusing system such as the one in the 1DIII, would be very useful for such situations. A faster fps would definitely be useful at the track and at air shows. I'm not a pro by any mean, but rather marely a hobbist. I do not make money off of photography, tough I've been offered to do some paid-for sessions (automotive, portraits, landmarks).

Other considerations
- I don't care for the 21.1mpx as I don't plan on blowing pictures and hanging posters around the house
- I DO like the ISO handling on the 5D. Will be very useful for indoor family portratures
- I don't care for Live View
- I don't care for HD video (I have a dedicated HD Camcorder)
- A FF body would work better indoors for wider FOV, while a 1.3 crop would be more useful at the track/air shows
- I don't care about the extra weight of the 1DIII as I'm planning on gripping the 5D anyways (should I choose to go with it)

My current bodies
40D & 30D - one or both will be sold in order to finance either a used 1DIII or a new 5DII. I may keep one of them as a backup, or maybe keep the 40D for it's higher fps for air shows and track days, and go with a 5D for family photography.

Other lenses that will be sold in order to finance the bodies above
17-55 f2.8 IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5

So given the info above (hopefully, I've provided all the info), if you were in MY shoes, which body would you opt for. Please try to refrain from any biased opinions and try to respond while taking into consideration MY needs and requirements. I don't want to hear what YOU like or what YOU would do, but rather, what you think I SHOULD go for, and WHY. Also, feel free to take into consideration the current crop bodies I own when trying to come up with a combo or a mixed solution of 1.6/1.3/1.0 bodies - I may get rid of both, or keep one.

TIA :)

5D Mark III | 135L | 24-70L | 580EXII | Flickr | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
MadisonPhotography
355 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 12, 2009 07:55 |  #2

Interesting question.

I bought a 5DMk2 a couple months ago, using it mainly in sports, event and portrait photography. I bought this camera as an "upgrade" to a my 40D...

I recently purchased a 1D MK3 and have found the 5D gathering dust on my desk. Not that it isn't a great camera, it is. Amazing camera I'd say but what I have found is that I take the 40D and new 1D with me to events...

Actually considering selling the 5D MK2...too good of a camera to sit unused...

Nick

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 12, 2009 07:55 |  #3

I'd go for the 1D3. It's a brilliant all-round camera and the high ISO is great, much better than most would expect.

Have you thought about the 1Ds2? Not sure about the price though, relative to the 5D2 and 1D3.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 12, 2009 08:04 |  #4

You've already got the 40D for air/track.

I'd suggest the 5DMkII for everything else.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 12, 2009 08:08 as a reply to  @ The Moose's post |  #5

Based on your priorities, I'd probably go with the 1DIII. Add a 16-35L when you can afford it.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Luke ­ Cern
926 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 12, 2009 08:08 |  #6

Don't do this to yourself. Be a man!!! Buy the one that you intuitively like, by handling both. They are totally different to handle. Put each body in a bag with two lenses and experience the weights. The MKIII requires a bigger and better bag. Make your own mind up. I have both and all I can say is that I'm confused every time I have to make the choice of what to carry. Unless you are doing sports and wildlife, the 1DIII will not bring anything more to the party! If you are doing sports/wildlife then there's no contest. It's your decision. Don't base it on a poll.

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 12, 2009 08:08 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #7

70% - 75% family photos = 5DmkII

25% - 30% action and event = 1DmkIII

I would say that the 5DmkII will get more useage for what your doing. Go for the 5DmkII.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 12, 2009 08:25 |  #8

aridan wrote in post #8095981 (external link)
Family (we have a 1.5 yr. old daughter, and twins on the way), automotive, aviation, track (race) days, air shows, and then some landscape/cityscapes.

My photography evolves roughly around 70% - 75% on family pictures, and the rest is fast moving objects as described above. However, even when shooting the family, often times, I try to track my daughter running around in the yard, and my 40D's focusing system fails measirably (I get about 50% keepers at best). A faster focusing system such as the one in the 1DIII, would be very useful for such situations. A faster fps would definitely be useful at the track and at air shows. I'm not a pro by any mean, but rather marely a hobbist. I do not make money off of photography, tough I've been offered to do some paid-for sessions (automotive, portraits, landmarks.

it seems as though the AF is the only compelling reason for you to go with the 1dmk3, and it seems like it'd be overkill for what you'd be using it for. tracking with the 40d or the 5d will take a bit more work, but with a little practice, it's more accurate than most people give it credit for. if you're a hobbyist, i don't think 10fps at tracks and airshows will outweigh the 5dmk2's benefits. 4fps will probably suffice for 99% of what you shoot.

the 5dmk2 makes a beautiful portrait, low-light, and landscape lens. as you said, it'll give you a true wide angle for indoor shots in tight spaces or spontaneous photos of your family.

i see the 1dmk3 as a speed demon, and for what you've described, you're looking for a well-rounded family-oriented platform for your lenses. the 5dmk2 just seems like a better fit for your needs in my opinion.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 12, 2009 08:26 |  #9

aridan wrote in post #8095981 (external link)
if you were in MY shoes, which body would you opt for.

Probably the 5D, but it really seems like your 40D is probably capable of meeting your needs considering your lenses and all. What don't you like about it?

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

Thunderbird33
282 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 12, 2009 08:30 as a reply to  @ kouasupra's post |  #10

The 40D you already have with the 70-200 f2.8 IS L is a great action sport combo....Heck, my 30D is great for that will continue to be for a little while.

The 5D I or II, will be great for everything else.

I passed on a used Mark III mostly because as my next camera was going to be my work camera AND my "go to" camera, and the Mark III was a bit clunky for that role. Also, it wasn't something I wanted to be "walking around with"..

If you are shooting sport or heave duty travelling etc..as part of a business, now that's different.

After re-reading your post about the MP size etc...maybe the 5D Classic is more for you, get the grip, and take it off if you don't need it.

You might have some extra $$ for a MK III next year.

stince
295 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 12, 2009 08:40 |  #11

I personally am going to be rocking a 1D Mk II/III and my 40D.

Great setup.

Jeff Stinson
Mid-Atlantic Photographer – jeffstinsonphoto.com (external link)Sportsshooter.com (external link)
Canon 1D Mk III | Canon 1D Mk IIN | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L | 50 1.4 | 300 2.8L

DL.Photography
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 12, 2009 08:44 |  #12

I'd say you should get the 5D2 and keep your current 40D for the fast moving stuff...plus you might need the 1.6x crop factor.

- Dan
Gear List & Feedback

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,882 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 12, 2009 12:46 |  #13

Ahh.... thanks guys! Keep them coming! Much appreciated.

...decisions decisions...

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 12, 2009 15:32 |  #14

5D2. Does sound like you'll need the 1 Series features as much as the IQ of the 5D2. Plus, it has video and you may want that for your family.

Christian

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,882 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 12, 2009 15:45 |  #15

Geez... you guys aren't making it easy... huh? :)

sponsored links

3,213 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DIII or 5DII - which one for ME???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.