Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jun 2009 (Friday) 13:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to clean lens/filter? -Out of "Cleaning Solution"

stince
295 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 12, 2009 13:20 |  #1

So, i ran out of "Cleaning Solution" in my walmart targus cleaning kit.

Would you recommend just using some water down dish soap? Dawn??

I like having it since i shoot paintball semi-professionally and sometimes get some paint on my lens filter.

-Jeff

Jeff Stinson
Mid-Atlantic Photographer – jeffstinsonphoto.com (external link)Sportsshooter.com (external link)
Canon 1D Mk III | Canon 1D Mk IIN | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L | 50 1.4 | 300 2.8L

sponsored links
bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 12, 2009 13:51 |  #2

Water, unless distilled, has minerals etc. in it. Soap... well...film scum.

I rarely use any liquid to clean a lens, usually a microfiber cloth is sufficient. Otherwise I use a drop of lens (glasses) cleaning solution on the cloth. Since I almost never use the stuff on glasses I have quite a few bottles of the stuff, over the years.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Rodinal
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 12, 2009 14:01 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I'm not sure it's that safe to always use cleaning solution. And it's not all that necessary. I use a cloth regularly and I use solution every now and then, let's say once in 10 cleanings = perhaps once in 1-2 months or so (there is a build-up of stuff sometimes which cloth can't get out).

I doubt solution, although safe, was intended for daily use. I know people who clean with lenses every time they get their gear out of the bag and every time they put it into the bag... hmmm, not sure. I mean how long is that coating supposed to last? Maybe it's more of a dogmatic belief, but I'm fine with it. My method works for me.

Now, after a paint splash, I guess nothing but solution works.

1D Mark II • 16-35/2.8L mk I • 24-70L • 70-200/2.8L IS • 50/1.8 • 24-85 • 400/5.6L • 430EX

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 12, 2009 14:03 |  #4

Any liquid should be a last resort. Lenspen, microfiber cloth first.

GEAR LIST

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,728 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 12, 2009 14:20 |  #5

Fog it with your breath, wipe it with microfiber cloth. (Launder microfiber periodially to prevent it from retaining coating-scratching grit!)

For paintball paint I propose putting a filter (but not a polarizer!) in some distilled water to dissolve and remove a lot of the paint, wipe as necessary, rinse in clean distilled water, then allow to drain, finally wipe with microfiber.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

stince
THREAD ­ STARTER
295 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 12, 2009 15:04 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #6

Thanks for ideas guys!

Jeff Stinson
Mid-Atlantic Photographer – jeffstinsonphoto.com (external link)Sportsshooter.com (external link)
Canon 1D Mk III | Canon 1D Mk IIN | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L | 50 1.4 | 300 2.8L

sponsored links

1,203 views & 0 likes for this thread
What to clean lens/filter? -Out of "Cleaning Solution"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.