Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 06 Jun 2009 (Saturday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DROBO - Three hard drive failures in 3 weeks

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 11, 2009 09:35 |  #61

dan j wrote in post #8086555 (external link)
Yes, his connection was very slow for some reason.

I spoke to an IT friend today who said upload speed is limited by ISP so they can sell high-speed connections. Everyone wants the fastest DL speed possible, but how many folks upload large amounts of data from their home?

Does Mozy allow you to send them a DVD they could download into your account? Sending a box of DVD's via snail mail would still be faster than uploading them ;)

dan

Bandwidth constraints may occur anywhere along the path between client and server. It's entirely possible that his on-line data service has saturated their bandwidth due to multiple new sign-ups.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
nadtz
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 11, 2009 09:45 |  #62

dan j wrote in post #8086555 (external link)
Yes, his connection was very slow for some reason.

I spoke to an IT friend today who said upload speed is limited by ISP so they can sell high-speed connections.
dan<snip>

Your IT friend didn't explain it well, ISP's charge more for connections with faster upload speed because it directly costs them money. Yes the end result is a higher cost to the consumer, but that is because it costs the ISP in outbound traffic.

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 11, 2009 09:54 |  #63

I tried online storgae as well by uploading image files, but I quickly gave up because of the very slooooooow upload speeds. I have 1TB of image files and it would take forever to get them uploaded. I just use additional external harddrives now and back them up every evening when the computer shuts down.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,383 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 11, 2009 10:04 |  #64

MDJAK wrote in post #8078843 (external link)
I say boycott Drobo. That plain sucks.

CDS, your method lacks on one important aspect, something you even say we should consider. You can have all the drives in the world mirroring your storage, but if they are all at home, what's the good in the event of a fire, etc?

Off site is imperative if your photos are that important, not something merely to be considered.

me

What makes you think I don't have one of the many external drives I listed "off site" ?

I'm typing this from Work, where from my desk I can see the cabinet in which one of the Seagate Freagent's resides..

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 11, 2009 10:46 |  #65

5Dmaniac wrote in post #8090050 (external link)
I tried online storgae as well by uploading image files, but I quickly gave up because of the very slooooooow upload speeds. I have 1TB of image files and it would take forever to get them uploaded. I just use additional external harddrives now and back them up every evening when the computer shuts down.

to get over this i know that amazon s3 will allow you to ship them a USB drive to build your first copy. but i think their prices are quite a bit higher then mozy for example. i don't know if mozy supports this.

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

shaggymatt
555 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 11, 2009 12:03 |  #66

Geno DM wrote in post #8081318 (external link)
I tried this route and gave up after 4 days with about 2 gigs of 47 gigs uploaded. That was before I got the 750 gigs of my data back from the data resore yesterday.

Is Mozy any faster?

I researched Mozy quite heavily, and had an online conversation with Steve in the Marketplace forum about this.

This isn't something that they openly advertise, or state anywhere, but the Home package is limited to a connection speed of 1mb/s inbound. If you get the business package, you are limited by your ISP speed. Unless you're on dialup or slower DSL you will surpass their upload speed limitation pretty easily.

Pelican 1614
Gear List

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 11, 2009 12:32 |  #67

I've been trying to go through this thread and didn't see a description of what the individual drive failure entailed. What exactly happened to the 'failed' drive when it the failure was detected? Does it no power up anymore? Doesn't spin? After you pulled the 'failed' drive from the DROBO, did you try checking the disk in a standalone computer using the manufacturer disk utilities to run SMART checks on it?

It's a lot easier to troubleshoot where the problem is occurring if you can isolate what the resulting failure is. If the drive 'fails' in the DROBO and you yank it, run checks on it, low level it, and there are no bad blocks or SMART errors thrown, and put it back in the DROBO and it fails again then you know it's not the drive.

Then you can begin determining if it's the DROBO itself, or cabling.

As far as RAID, RAID is an excellent method for insuring data retention. It's not fool proof, but if you plan for contingencies, RAID is useful. The people who remark that you can't access data on the disks in a RAID5 (or similar design such as the DROBO), yes that's true. But you're getting N-1 disk utilization vs N/2 in a mirrored RAID system. You have to balance cost-benefit ratio to see if RAID5 will work for you.

For pure redundancy, RAID1 is the way to go. It's simple and it works. You lose a bit of I/O performance in writes, and you gain nothing in reads, but it works.

But in *ANY* RAID setup, you *NEED* to have a hot-spare hard drive laying around. If a drive in a RAID failure setup goes down, just because it's a mirrored stripe and the other one is working, doesn't mean you should wait a day for a new drive to come in. You should replace the failed drive immediately.

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

-g-
Horribly disfigured but learning to cope
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 11, 2009 13:40 as a reply to  @ ocabj's post |  #68

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8090101 (external link)
I'm typing this from Work, where from my desk I can see the cabinet in which one of the Seagate Freagent's resides..

Have you checked IN the cabinet today? :lol:

Flickr (external link)--------------- Facebook (external link)--------------- Web (external link)--------------- Twitter (external link)
GENO.CA - Vancouver wedding photographer

SteveNC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 12, 2009 08:02 |  #69

I forgot to send one of the three drives that failed back to Newegg, so before I sent it off I placed it along with the other functional drive, into a new DROBO. The failed drive still registered as a failed drive. I didn't try to do any disk checks before ejecting it and sending it back to Newegg.

One thing that is interesting to note, the power supply is different on this unit. In addition, the springs don't work, so I can't eject the drives without having to stick a metal rod through the rear of the device, through the fan, to push the drive out manually. Also, the fan on this unit sounds quite different than the fan on the previous unit which was loud and would make strange noises. This very well could have been the source of the problem; however, the irony is that after after the second drive failed, I made mp3 recordings of the fan and sent them to Data Robotics and specifically asked them if it could be a problem. I assumed it was normal since they reassured me that since my third replacement drive was working, everything is fine, and closed the case.

Since I sold the replacement DROBO and re-bought a new one from J&R, now I'm dealing with J&R, who issued an RMA# in about 38 seconds when I mentioned the spring issue.

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,537 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 12, 2009 08:54 |  #70

I've always judged a company by how they solve a problem not that there was one. With a product with that kind of price tag they should have handled it a lot better. How many sales did they loose from this thread? Not because one of there units did or did not have a problem, but because of poor customer service.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,694 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 12, 2009 13:20 |  #71

I have a HP Media Smart Server with a 750gb drive and a 1tb drive running Windows Home Server. It's very user friendly and can be accessed from anywhere. It holds up to 4 drives and can attach another with an E-SATA port.

It's probably the easiest and most convenient storage solution I've ever used. If you're still having problems with the DROBO, you should look at maybe returning it and checking out this option.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

morpheus6d9
433 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 12, 2009 16:52 |  #72

since you havent tested the hdds i cant agree that drobo gets full blame you got ppl scared to buy a drobo now

50D | 60mm f/2.8 macro |Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Nifty-Fifty | SB-20 | 580 EXII

SteveNC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 12, 2009 16:53 |  #73

morpheus6d9 wrote in post #8099062 (external link)
since you havent tested the hdds i cant agree that drobo gets full blame you got ppl scared to buy a drobo now

I think folks can judge for themselves after reading this thread. I for one am scared not because I think the DROBO failed (though that is part of it), but more importantly because I know that I may be in limbo for 5-7 days by the time I get help with an expensive device that was designed to reassure. The concept that there is a 5% * 5% * 5% = 0.0125% chance that three WD drives failed independently of the DROBO is really an aside to that main point.

Village_Idiot wrote in post #8097827 (external link)
I have a HP Media Smart Server with a 750gb drive and a 1tb drive running Windows Home Server. It's very user friendly and can be accessed from anywhere. It holds up to 4 drives and can attach another with an E-SATA port.

It's probably the easiest and most convenient storage solution I've ever used. If you're still having problems with the DROBO, you should look at maybe returning it and checking out this option.

Is the HP Media Smart Server a RAID # device?

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

SteveNC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 12, 2009 20:34 |  #74

Update: The array took 25 hours to rebuild, and I'm happy to report that there were no errors during this time. A big relief since the data was unprotected during this process. Now I'm offloading everything onto another drive so I can RMA the unit (faulty spring issue) and retain access to my data while the DROBO is shipped back.

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,660 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 12, 2009 21:00 |  #75

nadtz wrote in post #8071762 (external link)
WD 1.5tb green drives have some known issues with failure and a raid array is *not* a backup.

if RAID is not a backup, then what is? isn't that whole point, redundant data?

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

sponsored links

17,402 views & 0 likes for this thread
DROBO - Three hard drive failures in 3 weeks
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.