Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 06 Jun 2009 (Saturday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DROBO - Three hard drive failures in 3 weeks

morpheus6d9
433 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 12, 2009 21:10 |  #76

narlus wrote in post #8100163 (external link)
if RAID is not a backup, then what is? isn't that whole point, redundant data?

thats the misconception most people think raid is a back up when its really not

50D | 60mm f/2.8 macro |Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Nifty-Fifty | SB-20 | 580 EXII

sponsored links
narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,660 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 12, 2009 21:48 |  #77

well i just read CDS' posts on page 1 and have a clearer idea. but damn, what a problem, esp now that my 5D2 pumps out 25MB RAW files. i need to be *way* more judicious in culling keepers.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 13, 2009 11:51 |  #78

I love the IDEA of the Drobo, but it's stories like this that reassure me that I will never buy one.

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

Balliolman
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 14, 2009 06:51 |  #79

DROBO need settle this issue pronto.

Balliolman
Stereoshooter
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/balliolman/ (external link)

Want to know more? Q. & A. with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150661

DReb; Canon 50 f1.8; Canon 28-135 IS; Loreo LIAC(T); Flashtrax; Canon 17-40 L; Manfrotto 055 PRO B tripod; Canon 28mm 2.8; Whibal
Need: Primes; Would like: Canon 5D;

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,384 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 14, 2009 12:17 as a reply to  @ Balliolman's post |  #80

Both of you seem to be missing the point about customer service..

You also both seem to have missed the part about what a DROBO does with data in it's array.
One can NOT take an HD out of a DROBO and plug it into a PC to retrieve the data.. the bits and bytes on any HD will be unreadable nonsense..

So your on;y would be to low lever format and see if the drives work then,,
And what would this prove?

If the drives function after wiping the DROBO partitions and format, then this = DROBO at fault 100%
If the drives don't function at all, or if they contain irrecoverable sector errors? How do we know that with three drives out of 3 that it wasn't the DROBO that caused these failures?

We can't until the DROBO unit itself is checked out.. which only DROBO can do.
DROBO needed to step up to investigate this from the get go as nothing the user did to waster his own time could solve the source of the issue.

More importantly, none of your trouble shooting suggestions are what the customer should have to go through when asking for customer support from the manufacturer.

The company that keeps it's customers is the one that will take the onus on themselves to solve the problem. People that think otherwise are part of why customer service keeps getting worse and worse, the companies are aware of the relaxing attitudes and take advantage.

Again, the issue is not whether or not the DROBO has failed,. ( every product will have failures. period. ) but rather what the company was willing to do, and how willing they were, to solve the problem.

morpheus6d9 wrote in post #8099062 (external link)
since you havent tested the hdds i cant agree that drobo gets full blame you got ppl scared to buy a drobo now

ocabj wrote in post #8090935 (external link)
I've been trying to go through this thread and didn't see a description of what the individual drive failure entailed. ....

Lastly, to those that keep saying "RAID is not a back up solution... "

Have you looked at DROBO's marketing?
Have you read what they say about the product?

Lines like;

"Consolidate Your Storage
Avoid the danger, mess, and hassle of multiple external storage "solutions" and upgrade to Drobo, with the world's only safe, expandable storage technology."

"As long as you have more than a single disk in Drobo, all data on Drobo is safe no matter which hard disk fails."

" There’s no need to worry about anything else."

...certainly seem to indicate that DROBO is positioning itself as the only form of data storage you need.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Balliolman
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 15, 2009 12:44 |  #81

Which, as you point out, CDS, is why the non-technical find the assurances of Drobo and its product appealing. As a DROBO owner I will be highly unimpressed if the company does not do the right thing for Steve!

Balliolman
Stereoshooter
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/balliolman/ (external link)

Want to know more? Q. & A. with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150661

DReb; Canon 50 f1.8; Canon 28-135 IS; Loreo LIAC(T); Flashtrax; Canon 17-40 L; Manfrotto 055 PRO B tripod; Canon 28mm 2.8; Whibal
Need: Primes; Would like: Canon 5D;

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,694 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 16, 2009 08:06 |  #82

SteveNC wrote in post #8099068 (external link)
I think folks can judge for themselves after reading this thread. I for one am scared not because I think the DROBO failed (though that is part of it), but more importantly because I know that I may be in limbo for 5-7 days by the time I get help with an expensive device that was designed to reassure. The concept that there is a 5% * 5% * 5% = 0.0125% chance that three WD drives failed independently of the DROBO is really an aside to that main point.

Is the HP Media Smart Server a RAID # device?

Essentially, but not in the traditional way. You stick a drive in, right click on it, and select add drive to storage pool. Then you can right click on folders and select duplication, that way if one drive fails, you lose nothing. WHS take care of everything for you so you do not have to set anything up or maintain anything. It's a "dumbed down" version of Windows Server. You can still get to some of the more advanced functions, but basic setup is very quick and easy and then it runs and that's it.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

Swaffs
Goldmember
4,500 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 17, 2009 09:53 |  #83

Some interetsing threads in here, not meaniung to drift to far OT, I have decided to go for the foloowing device:

http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/SQ​A-5H.html (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

PC Pro gave it an excellent review:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk …pc-sqa5h-home-server.html (external link)

I'll stick to Windows, as It's what I know and have lots of desktop/laptops in the house!

Rich Swaffs, Sports & Event photographer.
WWW.SWAFFSPHOTOGRAPHY.​CO.UK (external link)
1DMKIII x 2 | 5DMKII | WFT-E2 | SIGMA 10-20 | SIGMA 24-70 f/2.8 | CANON 24-105 f/4 L IS | CANON 85 f/1.2 L II | CANON 100 f/2.8 Macro | CANON 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | CANON 400 f/2.8 L | 580 EX | 1.4 & 2.0 Extenders| Tubes| Strobes| Bags | PW Flex TT1/TT5/Plus II's

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,182 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 17, 2009 15:12 |  #84

Swaffs wrote in post #8126064 (external link)
Some interetsing threads in here, not meaniung to drift to far OT, I have decided to go for the foloowing device:

http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/SQ​A-5H.html (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

PC Pro gave it an excellent review:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk …pc-sqa5h-home-server.html (external link)

I'll stick to Windows, as It's what I know and have lots of desktop/laptops in the house!

Above is simply a 'remote storage device' ('server'), not a 'ability to operate in spite of defective drive' (RAID 1 or 5)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SteveNC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 18, 2009 23:49 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #85

Looks like a sound equalizer! :)

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

Swaffs
Goldmember
4,500 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 19, 2009 04:24 |  #86

Wilt wrote in post #8127959 (external link)
Above is simply a 'remote storage device' ('server'), not a 'ability to operate in spite of defective drive' (RAID 1 or 5)

Of course it's not.

It's a Windows server, so can be configured as required, with Windows readable HDD's, not some unknown bespoke file system.

It will support anything from Raid 0 to 10.

And the coloured removable tabs are to identify multiple configurations (mirrored pairs etc.).

a colleague of mine takes delivery of one this week, so I will see how he gets on (we were both contemplating ordering Drobo's)

Rich Swaffs, Sports & Event photographer.
WWW.SWAFFSPHOTOGRAPHY.​CO.UK (external link)
1DMKIII x 2 | 5DMKII | WFT-E2 | SIGMA 10-20 | SIGMA 24-70 f/2.8 | CANON 24-105 f/4 L IS | CANON 85 f/1.2 L II | CANON 100 f/2.8 Macro | CANON 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | CANON 400 f/2.8 L | 580 EX | 1.4 & 2.0 Extenders| Tubes| Strobes| Bags | PW Flex TT1/TT5/Plus II's

SteveNC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 20, 2009 14:55 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #87

Thank you CDS for your articulate post; expresses my thoughts throughout this ordeal precisely.

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

SteveNC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 22, 2009 15:39 |  #88

I will give it to Data Robotics, they are trying to improve. I filled out a survey, and honestly never thought anyone would respond to it, but I received a call from DroboCare by telephone. Sounded like they really wanted to figure out what was going on. Interesting to note that the power supply on this second DROBO is rated for 80 watts whereas the previous supply was rated 90watts (ie. I got an older power supply with my unit from J&R). Data Robotics is sending me the newer 90watt power supply. Also, they fixed my spring issue over the telephone, so I won't be RMAing to J&R after all.

I copied this thread to this person at Data Robotics to give him a better idea of what happened in this long saga. It was hard to recount all of this saga on the phone...

Something that I did think was weird was that he wasn't sure if WD 1.5TB Green drives were "approved" by Data Robotics to use in their DROBO units. This is wierd because he's a DroboCare support person and he's also listed as a product engineer. Data Robotics also bundles other WD Greens with their DROBO units. Perhaps it's just the 1.5TB size that's not approved, but either way he should know these things.

SteveNC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 22, 2009 22:31 |  #89

From Data Robotics Engineer / DroboCare email:

Hello Steve,

Thank you again for taking the time to speak with me earlier today regarding your experience with Drobo Customer Support. As I promised on the phone, I went back and reviewed your diagnostic files and as far as I can tell the Drobo was actually performing as designed. As it hit the established error thresholds on each drive, it kicked out (i.e. expunged) these disk drives from the array and refused to allow them to be re-added back in.

WD-WCAVY0081533 WDCWD15EADS-00R6B0 01.00A01 (Added 6/4)

=> slot : 1

WD-WCAUP0013525 WDCWD15EADS-00H7B0 05.00K05 (Added 5/22)

=> slot : 3

WD-WCAUP0020619 WDCWD15EADS-00R6B0 01.00A01 (Added 5/19) – (Expunged 5/20)

=> slot : [NOT PHYSICALLY PRESENT]

WD-WCAUP0001577 WDCWD15EADS-00R6B0 01.00A01 (Added 5/19) – (Expunged 5/24)

WD-WCAVY0206655 WDCWD15EADS-00R6B0 01.00A01 (Added 5/29) – (Expunged 6/4)

9VS0QFHH ST31500341AS CC1J (Added 5/24) – (Removed 6/1)

The feedback from other posters to your thread seems to echo the fact that there others out there who have also experienced problems with WD 1.5TB hard drives, so there appears to be a trend.

As for the fan noise, it is hard to say what was causing that, but there were not OVER TEMP conditions reported. From the recordings you sent in though, it sounds like it could be a bad bearing. In either case a noisy fan is not a good thing, so it is good that the unit was replaced. none of them showed any problems in relation to the Drobo hitting any sort of OVER TEMP condition, but it does look like you Drobo is pretty full at the moment, so adding another drive soon would be advised.

Finally, as stated on the phone, I will send you a 90W power supply. Is the address listed below still a good daytime shipping address?

Of all the WD 1.5TB drives that reported errors in the Drobo, the one that is currently in third slot from the top has had the fewest errors reported against it (1 so far). The other three WD 1.5 TB drives all had enough errors recorded to be expunged. Coincidentally, these three drives were all running the same level of firmware (01.00A01) and this firmware is different than the what is being used on the one of the other remaining WD 1.5TB hard drives (05.00K05), so there may be a correlation to the errors and the level of firmware being used. Though the drive in the top slot hasn’t had any errors reported against it yet, I would keep an eye on it since it is also running the 01.00A01 firmware.

Please feel free to call me if you have any question and/or run any problems in the future!

Best regards,

<name removed>
Product Support Engineer

Available: Monday – Friday

9:00am - 6:00pm Pacific Time

tim
Light Bringer
50,920 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 22, 2009 22:53 |  #90

"Product support engineer" can be a fancy title for tech support. "Product engineer" would suggest they were one of the people that created it, which is probably who would look at the really difficult problems.

I'd suggest you try another brand of hard drive, Seagate work well for me, or at least another model of WD drive if you're set on them.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

17,405 views & 0 likes for this thread
DROBO - Three hard drive failures in 3 weeks
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.