Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Jun 2009 (Saturday) 19:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens off eBay

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 13, 2009 19:35 |  #1

Does anyone worry purchasing lens of eBay?

I just worry that it's a good way for a seller to get rid of a lens that may have been dropped (no marks though) or is faulty or has some other problem with it.

I know that people get excellent bargains off eBay buying second hand lens, but has anyone ever had a bad experience?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sponsored links
tester3000
111 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 13, 2009 22:31 |  #2

Same.. I always worried about the same thing. Like someone could be trying to get rid of a non-sharp but working lens.. :/ But i bought a Tamron 28-75 off eBay and i'm pretty satisfied. I'd say it's only worth it if you are getting a significant discount 40-50%. The only reason i bought the tamron was because i was able to snag it for $190. Reg price is $380. Only buy if you will save a significant amount of money.

Canon 60D | Canon 24-105 f/4L IS | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Bear ­ Dale
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 13, 2009 22:36 |  #3

tester3000 wrote in post #8105445 (external link)
Same.. I always worried about the same thing. Like someone could be trying to get rid of a non-sharp but working lens..

Thats what worries me. Sure the majority (hopefully) are people that just don't need the lens anymore for any given reason. But it just seems a very easy way to "dump" a lens thats visibly perfect, but has "issues".

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

jxg
400 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 13, 2009 22:39 |  #4

buy using PayPal. I have experience as a seller, and the buyer seems to always be right when it comes to a dispute.

John

Gear List: More than I should have for a "hobby"

tester3000
111 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 13, 2009 23:43 |  #5

jxg wrote in post #8105490 (external link)
buy using PayPal. I have experience as a seller, and the buyer seems to always be right when it comes to a dispute.

Even with a working lens? Say you are selling a lens. You say it's a 100% working copy, but it's not a sharp copy. You don't comment on the sharpness in the listing,, you just say it's a working copy. Would the buyer win the dispute just because the lens wasn't sharp enough for them?

Canon 60D | Canon 24-105 f/4L IS | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

breathtakingbluesky
312 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 14, 2009 07:42 |  #6

I've bought 3 lenses through ebay and haven't had any problem whatsoever.

www.breathtakingbluesk​y.com (external link)

5D + EF 50/1.4, EF 17-40/4, EF 24-105/4 IS, EF 70-200/4 IS, 580EXII
Oly E-PL1+14-42, 350D gripped + EF 50/1.8, Tammy 17-50/2.8, EF 70-300 DO, two 1.4X TCs, Ext tubes etc.

publish your website (external link) www.davidseymourphotog​raphy.com (external link)

snatiep
540 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 14, 2009 08:20 |  #7

I bought a refurbished Canon 17-40L off of ebay a few weeks ago for $470. Beautiful lens!

Nate
Gear List

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 14, 2009 09:02 |  #8

I have bought and sold over 150 lenses in the last 2 years from eBay. Just your normal common sense helps. Yes, there are some Newbies and some non-photographers selling lenses. But, it can be a great place to get something different. I would not buy new from eBay, just used. Yes, If I can also find it at Keh.com for about the same price I will get it from Keh. Adorama? It is a toss up. If you are wondering about any certain eBay auction, you can always PM me a link. I will try to help.

GEAR LIST

GMHY
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 14, 2009 09:10 |  #9

The only time I have really been burnt buying online was not on Ebay but on this very forum. Use common sense and Paypal on Ebay and you won't have any problems.

Gerard

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 14, 2009 09:35 |  #10

My eBay purchases include:

Zeiss 85 f/1.4
Tamron 28-75

and

My 1Ds Mark II.

All have been fine. Just buy from sellers with high feedback and a return policy, and you'll be fine.

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

scottpow
80 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 14, 2009 11:10 |  #11

What would be the difference buying used lens from anywhere? The owner could be sending for just about any reason I hope you don't think every lens sold from this site is perfect and razor sharp.

tester3000 wrote in post #8105445 (external link)
Same.. I always worried about the same thing. Like someone could be trying to get rid of a non-sharp but working lens.. :/ But i bought a Tamron 28-75 off eBay and i'm pretty satisfied. I'd say it's only worth it if you are getting a significant discount 40-50%. The only reason i bought the tamron was because i was able to snag it for $190. Reg price is $380. Only buy if you will save a significant amount of money.

tester3000
111 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 14, 2009 11:20 |  #12

I'm not only talking about only ebay,, i'm talking about used lenses in general.

jxg
400 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 14, 2009 11:22 |  #13

tester3000 wrote in post #8105725 (external link)
Even with a working lens? Say you are selling a lens. You say it's a 100% working copy, but it's not a sharp copy. You don't comment on the sharpness in the listing,, you just say it's a working copy. Would the buyer win the dispute just because the lens wasn't sharp enough for them?

I sold a perfectly good Canon XT on ebay. Buyer complained to PayPal on the 44th day after the sale that the pictures were "blurry". They made me refund the money. I disputed the claim with pictures I had taken with the camera (both before and AFTER I got the camera back - which was returned with a very large scratch in it, by the way). They basically ignored me, saying buyer has every right to dispute - they said I sold an item that was not as advertised.

So it locally on Craigslist, and the buyer was very happy...

John

Gear List: More than I should have for a "hobby"

vadim_c
716 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 14, 2009 11:33 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

tester3000 wrote in post #8105725 (external link)

A lens that performs under specification i.e. softer that it should be is not a working lens.

Exif Internet Explorer Addon (external link).

vadim_c
716 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 14, 2009 11:40 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

gasrocks wrote in post #8107227 (external link)
I have bought and sold over 150 lenses in the last 2 years from eBay. Just your normal common sense helps. Yes, there are some Newbies and some non-photographers selling lenses. But, it can be a great place to get something different. I would not buy new from eBay, just used. Yes, If I can also find it at Keh.com for about the same price I will get it from Keh. Adorama? It is a toss up. If you are wondering about any certain eBay auction, you can always PM me a link. I will try to help.

Why wouldn't you buy new from ebay ?
I bought my two "L"s from a ebay store. One of them was absoluterly perfect another required calibration. Canon had no problem with the fact that the lens was bought from a e-bay store in fact when I checked later both stores appeared to be Canon authorized dealers.

Exif Internet Explorer Addon (external link).

sponsored links

1,406 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens off eBay
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.