Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Jun 2009 (Saturday) 22:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not many Canon Cameras

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 20, 2009 22:34 |  #1

We have this fantastic parade every year, it starts with 2-300 naked painted cyclists, draws about 35,000 people and lasts only one hour. The whole parade is really wonderful, it's all about artistic expression and everyone has a great time. I have a regular spot along with a girlfriend and it's our annual get together.

But this year something was different, for one thing there usually are a lot of people with point and shoot cameras, this year I'd guess there were an increase of dslr's by about 50 for every 200 feet of audience, figuring both sides.

And Canon seemed to have a very poor showing, of the Canon Cameras it seemed as if there were a lot of what looked like 5dII and classic with an occasional pro with 1D series cameras. But Nikon was heavily everywhere, and the parade route was so cluttered at times with photographers compared to last year that I even started to get irritated.

Of all the photographers though there was one man who stood out of the crowd, because he didn't stand out in the crowd. I watched him last year and the way he works the parade is wonderful, you can actually believe he's getting great shots, he's the calmest person there and moves in a way that he's never in anyone's way but is calmly shooting, shooting, shooting. It was a good study for me to remember; yes I've done many a documentary working crowds but you can never learn enough.

Unfortunately he was shooting Nikon as well, but one of the few pros that wasn't using Canon. He was using a 70-200 and a 24-70 and it was a pleasure to watch him work.

I get frustrated seeing this showing for Nikon cameras though, I'm a die hard Canon fan now and cannot understand how Canon with all of it's money cannot come up with the design/promotion and advertising to get people in on the ground floor with Canon cameras, there is a truth that people become loyal so those few from that crowd who do decide to make this their profession are not likely to switch to another brand, at least my experience leads me to think that way.

I'm pretty objective and do not believe that Nikon is putting out a product so much better as to warrant this strong of shift to one manufacturer, it was just weird. I guess I shouldn't care, I've got my Canon gear, great lenses and will upgrade the body maybe one more time before I really do retire with just a point and shoot lol.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links
tsaraleksi
Goldmember
1,653 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 20, 2009 22:42 |  #2

It's pretty simple really. Nikon was the first to come out with a super cheap dSLR (the D40) and they sold it to people really well. Once people see Nikons around, they are more likely to choose one when they decide to buy an SLR.

At the same time, there's a lingering notion in some people's mind that Nikon is some kind of "gold standard" for professional usage, dating to the 80s.

That said, sales figures show that both companies are pretty neck-in-neck, so I think it's probably not really a big deal as far as Canon's performance is concerned.

--Alex Editorial Portfolio (external link)
|| Elan 7ne+BG ||5D mk. II ||1D mk. II N || EF 17-40 F4L ||EF 24-70 F2.8L||EF 35 1.4L || EF 85 1.2L ||EF 70-200 2.8L|| EF 300 4L IS[on loan]| |Speedlite 580EX || Nikon Coolscan IV ED||

nickphoto
126 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 20, 2009 22:50 |  #3

I honestly can't understand why this would bother you.

Gear: D3s, D700, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200VR1, 35mm 1.4g, 50mm 1.4d, 85mm 1.4g, 60mm 2.8 macro, sb26, sb800, Sb900, PW +2's, PW Flex, PW Mini.
http://nickevansphoto.​com (external link)

johnboy00
201 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 20, 2009 23:02 |  #4

nick evans wrote in post #8146539 (external link)

Same here. I shoot Canon because it feels better in my hands, I like the system, and I like the results I get. I couldn't care less what the Joneses are shooting.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 20, 2009 23:11 as a reply to  @ johnboy00's post |  #5

As long as Canon doesn't go bankrupt and continues to put out quality photography equipment I really don't care what people use.

This whole Canon vs. Nikon mentality is pretty silly I think. I don't have any allegiance to Canon. I happen to use Canon. I don't even remember why I chose Canon over Nikon. I happen to think Nikon has some pretty kick as* gear too.

All I know is that I have the tools to get the job done.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 20, 2009 23:14 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #6

i think the 1dmk3's focusing issues lost canon quite a few professionals, and the strong performance of the d3 and the d700 may have simply tipped the scales for them. it's not really a big deal though, as both companies are putting out great products and people are getting great photos with them.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

rumplepigskin
189 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 20, 2009 23:20 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

ok... let me get this straight... all these naked people around and you're looking at brands of cameras? now that my friends is a photographer

windpig
Chopped liver
15,400 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 20, 2009 23:22 |  #8

all the 40D owners were naked riding the bikes. I was 2 blocks east at the vet with my old kitty Bill, else I would have been there.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 21, 2009 00:40 |  #9

there is a local shop, that calls itself the photo supply for the pros, you know who I am talking about, and they advertise Nikon heavily....do you think that might be why there are more Nikons in this particular city? Sure, they sell canons too, but they don't advertise them as heavily. They sell hasselblad too, but you will probably NEVER see them run an ad for them, kind of tells the story doesn't it?

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

DarenM
673 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 21, 2009 07:34 |  #10

Publicity for Nikon has always put them in the forefront over Canon, dating back to the first SLR's. That is ok, quality wins out with the Canon fans.

Canon 1D MK IV, Canon 1D MK III, Canon 5D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS MK II, 17-40 F4 Canon, 430 EX, Canon A2E, 530EX Canon 1.4 Extender, 580 II, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, (Way too much stuff for an amateur)

spkerer
953 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 21, 2009 09:04 |  #11

nick evans wrote in post #8146539 (external link)

+2

I don't give a rip what brand people are shooting. I bought Canon because I like it, not because of what is the most popular at the time. Its one thing discussing different camera gear, but when someone starts into how one must shoot Canon, or Nikon, or whatever, because they're the only good cameras, I flip the bozo bit on that person and stop really paying attention to what they're saying.

But if it helps, think of yourself as belonging to the more exclusive Canon club, rather than the "everyone Nikon club." :)

Leesburg, Virginia
http://photos.kusterer​s.net (external link)

Jannie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 21, 2009 09:20 |  #12

Funny the responses, no I don't care when it comes to the Joneses attitude, but I was shooting commercials for over 30 years and still find advertising fascinating as well as human motivation. I was a Nikon shooter myself in the film days but chose Canon at first simply because of the way the 5D felt in my hands and the wonderful viewfinder, the rest I learned after that.

I'm probably the last person in the world if you knew me, to be affected in what I personally buy by what the Joneses have, most of us got over that kind of thinking decades ago, but you don't know me and I really was puzzled by what I saw, but more so by the way the photographers were working the situation, with only one of them really seeming to be really connected with what was happening and that of course is just a guess, everyone has their own manner of approach.

There was one guy, camera with one lens and I couldn't understand his approach, almost frenetic he seemed to be shooting anything he could get close to. He'd grab a couple of shots near where we were sitting and then actually run 75' to grab a shot only to have at that moment to have the performers turn away from him but he would shoot anyway yet not keep at it when they came into what looked like a better view, then he'd actually run as if he was afraid he was going to miss something to another spot. He had on a solid waist belt, with fully heavy duty shoulder harness and at a distance I thought it might be a Think Tank setup but when he got close, I saw the equipment pouches were filled with water bottles, no camera gear at all. I'd never thought of that, some times it gets pretty warm at the parade so he was well equipped to keep going.

We all make choices and have our own approach but what seems to come a lot to the forefront is that we are seriously into our gear, the number of people shooting who wore backpacks impressed me by the amount they felt they needed to carry. Photographers are interesting and I'm quite thrilled that there seem to be so many people into it.

Re the local store, yes I've noticed the Nikon push, who knows the reason but in merchandising that often relates to the relationship they have with the manufacturers distributor or profit incentives and how much the manufacturer provides in free advertising which helps sell the products for them.

In the process of shooting and acquiring gear, I have become very much a Canon fan and I like that feeling and experience, think what you will. And I have no problem with anyone who has brand loyalty, I personally hope with everything I become involved with to surpass the place where I'm thinking about what I have and how to use it and instead make it more a part of me in that I don't have to think so much about the gear and mostly just about what it is I want to get in a photograph. Once I get firmly familiar with certain tools, then it makes sense to stick with the methods used when using them. I think Canon designs gear that makes that process quite comfortable.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 21, 2009 12:01 as a reply to  @ Jannie's post |  #13

alt4852 wrote in post #8146601 (external link)
i think the 1dmk3's focusing issues lost canon quite a few professionals, and the strong performance of the d3 and the d700 may have simply tipped the scales for them. it's not really a big deal though, as both companies are putting out great products and people are getting great photos with them.

The initial performance of the 1DIII may have something to do with it, but those issues wouldn't effect sales at the consumer level. I think it has more to do with Ashton Kutcher shilling for Nikon...

I shoot Canon because I'm heavily invested in the brand and can't afford to be switching around like some. I initially chose Canon back in 1999 ecause I could get more camera for my money and they were the only manufacturer with stabilized lenses at the time. If I were starting out from scratch today, I would certainly consider the Nikon D3 and D700 as potential acquisitions. Nikon has managed to put the two most attractive features (to me) in one camera; high FPS and full frame. Canon still insists on putting those in two separate cameras, the 1D and 1Ds.

John

cgatto
877 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 21, 2009 13:06 |  #14

When people ask me what brand of Camera they should buy, I tell them them to either get a Nikon or a Canon. You can't go wrong picking either.

Canon 7D, Canon 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L
My Flickr (external link)

Dmab
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 21, 2009 16:01 |  #15

Jannie wrote in post #8148013 (external link)
...There was one guy, camera with one lens and I couldn't understand his approach, almost frenetic he seemed to be shooting anything he could get close to. He'd grab a couple of shots near where we were sitting and then actually run 75' to grab a shot only to have at that moment to have the performers turn away from him but he would shoot anyway yet not keep at it when they came into what looked like a better view, then he'd actually run as if he was afraid he was going to miss something to another spot. ...

:)
Did you happen to notice who he was trying to run around and shoot?

Being a guy, and assuming what most guys with cameras do at an event full of nakedness, I can only assume he was racing around trying to get shots of the naked ladies?

Dan
=======
Gear List

sponsored links

2,006 views & 0 likes for this thread
Not many Canon Cameras
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.