Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2009 (Tuesday) 19:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HEY 5dmk11 wedding photogs

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,358 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 23, 2009 19:53 |  #1

OK LET ME START BY ASKING A QUESTION,,AND WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT IM NOT TRYING TO STIR THE POT:cool:

i was at a wedding this weekend and another photog that was shooting after we were done had the new 5dmk2. we chatted for a few minutes and i was asking him about the new toy. he made a comment that i found od. asked him if it was a problem working with the larger files and how he liked the camera ??

his response was not what i expected. he said,, all im shooting is s-raw and smaller files,,takes up too much memory,,so its really not a problem to process them. the whole time im thinking,,jeeze,,why get the 5dmk2 if your only going to shoot smaller files,,thats close to what the current 5d file size is. my thinking is he just got an updated 5d and his only real benefit would be the viewfinder and high iso performance.

AGAIN,,NOT TRYING TO STIR UP A BIG ARGUMENT. but doesnt that really defeat the reasons for getting the updated 5d over the current 5dmk1. would like to hear your thoughts from the guys that use the current 5dmk2. i was set on buying one at the start of the year

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 23, 2009 20:11 |  #2

as a wedding photog myself, i shoot in sraw1 as well.

here is why i use the 5D II exclusively over the 5D I:

High ISO smokes it.
Live View has become a great tool when shooting portraits
High Res LCD Screen

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 23, 2009 20:11 |  #3

Yes, it does.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,758 posts
Gallery: 1684 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jun 23, 2009 20:11 |  #4

Larger, higher res LCD, microadjustment, possibility of doing video on the fly (in the event he wants to dabble in HD video). And if/when he really need to (for perhaps some other work), he can dial it up to full 21mp.

And he's got the money. :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,358 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 23, 2009 20:55 |  #5

jwcdds wrote in post #8162647 (external link)
Larger, higher res LCD, microadjustment, possibility of doing video on the fly (in the event he wants to dabble in HD video). And if/when he really need to (for perhaps some other work), he can dial it up to full 21mp.

And he's got the money. :D

ha ha

he actually had a 5d and a 5dmk2. the 5d was mounted to his 70-200 and the 5dmk2 was mounted to a 24-70. thats all he uses. he indicated he got the 5dmk2 because he wanted another camera after his 20d died. prefers full frame i guess. anyway, i can see the reasoning for the current model,,but s-raw is what,,about 12mp,s on the current 5dmk2,,,so i guess the real advantage is high iso for guys that shoot stills

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 24, 2009 00:18 |  #6

But wouldnt you shoot the full 21.1 if you had a smokin fast comp?

Were talking like a CORE i7 975 with like 32gb of DDR3 and several Tb's of space.

Then processing those large RAW's wouldnt be a problem! :D

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 24, 2009 05:56 |  #7

The main thing that's putting me off purchasing a 5D2 is the 21mp files that are a pita to process and archive. That's why I decided on a 1D mark 3, even though its not full frame.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,358 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 24, 2009 07:34 |  #8

Headshotzx wrote in post #8164878 (external link)
The main thing that's putting me off purchasing a 5D2 is the 21mp files that are a pita to process and archive. That's why I decided on a 1D mark 3, even though its not full frame.

anyone else that ownes the 5dmk2 care to comment on this. im on a similar thought path myself. i have budgeted for a 5dmk2 purchase in feb 2010, but if im going to be shooting in s-raw most of the time,,i might re-think this some more...maybe another 5dmk1:confused:

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jun 24, 2009 07:43 |  #9

As you can see from my sig, I am a wedding and portrait photog, and the guy's reasons are precisely why I still haven't upgraded my 5D. I shoot with the combination of a 5D and a 1D Mark II N. I don't want or need 21mp from my 5D replacement, I want a faster, snappier, and more responsive camera! If Canon had an equivalent to the Nikon D700, I would be shooting with two of those right now!

I have used the 5D Mark II, and didn't find anything worth upgrading for (my father has bought himself one for hobby use). Of course, if my 5D is destroyed or stops working, then I will have to replace it with a current model, but I don't see any reason to upgrade right now, not for the sort of work I do...

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 24, 2009 08:43 |  #10

slowdad wrote in post #8165151 (external link)
anyone else that ownes the 5dmk2 care to comment on this. im on a similar thought path myself. i have budgeted for a 5dmk2 purchase in feb 2010, but if im going to be shooting in s-raw most of the time,,i might re-think this some more...maybe another 5dmk1:confused:

Rudi wrote in post #8165182 (external link)
As you can see from my sig, I am a wedding and portrait photog, and the guy's reasons are precisely why I still haven't upgraded my 5D. I shoot with the combination of a 5D and a 1D Mark II N. I don't want or need 21mp from my 5D replacement, I want a faster, snappier, and more responsive camera! If Canon had an equivalent to the Nikon D700, I would be shooting with two of those right now!

I have used the 5D Mark II, and didn't find anything worth upgrading for (my father has bought himself one for hobby use). Of course, if my 5D is destroyed or stops working, then I will have to replace it with a current model, but I don't see any reason to upgrade right now, not for the sort of work I do...

1Ds Mark 2 perhaps? Cheaper than 5D mark 2 now on the asian used market.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 24, 2009 08:53 |  #11

I no longer do weddings and when I did it was all on MF square format.

However, I can tell you that anything a wedding photographer can do to reduce the post processing is a plus. Also keep in mind that unless he/she believes a large print would come from a shot, most prints will be quite small (4x5/5x5/8x10). If it were me using the 5Dii, I would probably shoot 90% sraw 1 with a handfull of posed portraits in full raw.

As always, YMMV.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

Subimatt
522 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 24, 2009 08:56 |  #12

I shoot in Sraw (10mp) as well, I dont need 21mp, I bought the camera for ISO perfomance.

5D2 x3,5Dc,60D,40D,16-35LII,24-70L,70-200L 2.8IS,15 FE,24LII,35L,45TSE,50Lx2,85LII,100L Macro,135L,580exII x5
BLOG (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)
Facebook! (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 24, 2009 08:57 as a reply to  @ Headshotzx's post |  #13

they upgraded a LOT of things on this body beyond just the sensor.... Also remember, if he's an active wedding photog, he probably updates bodies every other year or so anyway.

but yeah, I shoot sRAW2 a ton for my daily crap. My landscapes and other things I might sell get full res, but that's maybe 10% of what I shoot? The other reasons I got the 5Dii:

• self cleaning sensor (I had to clean my 5D monthly)
  • better battery
  • better viewfinder
  • better high ISOs
  • better screen
  • live view
  • my menu
  • higher FPS
  • better AF
  • movie mode (nice considering we have our first baby at home)
  • C1, C2 and C3 (I use these modes 95% of the time!)

basically, I was VERY happy with the IQ from my 5D and didn't need more MP. They could be nice for some of the images I sell, but it wasn't crucial and by no means a selling point. But I also had a 40D when I had my 5D for added reach. Well cropping the 21mp to 1.6 gets me an 8mp cropped image. So I effectively keep the reach but with one body. More importantly I get all the bells and whistles of the 40D on my full frame body. I can't stress enough how nice a self cleaning sensor is on FF for me. I had to clean my 5D every month with a wet clean, but in ~7 months with the 5Dii and ~6k shots I've yet to even use the blower! I've seen dust on a few shots, but once I cycle the power switch they're GONE!!! As with all bigger viewfinders though, I've had to yank the screen and blow it off occasionally.

But yeah, the 5Dii upgrade is a lot more than JUST the sensor. That's a big part, but everything else makes it an amazing package. I considered keeping my 5D as I was so thrilled with it, but the 5Dii is doing everything the 5D did and more. I do expect to keep this body for quite a long time though (hopefully skipping the mark III) because the upgrade to it was more for the bells and whistles, so what could I need in a new version (the answer would be if they upped the FPS significantly)?

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

Rodinal
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 24, 2009 09:08 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Try II (double capital i). You're looking for 2 in roman numerals and not 11 (eleven).

1D Mark II • 16-35/2.8L mk I • 24-70L • 70-200/2.8L IS • 50/1.8 • 24-85 • 400/5.6L • 430EX

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,285 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 24, 2009 09:10 |  #15

I second this - I used to shoot medium format film up until 2006 when I transitioned to digital.

Post Processing can certainly be a major issue when you are dealing with an entire day and 600+ images. Time is money when you get home to your "lab", and you want to speed this up. You don't want to build in new bottlenecks. You also don't want to need to run out and buy new CPU's to handle the larger files.

I have plenty of HD space at home right now, along with a 5 year Pentium 4 CPU that does ok..... for now, with my old 5D files. Certainly high rez LCD, fantastic ISO performance and live view would be attractions of the MlII.

I haven't thought about it much until this discussion, but likely I'd shoot my weddings at S-RAW also, preferring to deal with perfectly good 12MB files. That being said, I do a lot of urban landscape work and would probably go the full RAW rez for those.

ScullenCrossBones wrote in post #8165505 (external link)
I no longer do weddings and when I did it was all on MF square format.

However, I can tell you that anything a wedding photographer can do to reduce the post processing is a plus. Also keep in mind that unless he/she believes a large print would come from a shot, most prints will be quite small (4x5/5x5/8x10). If it were me using the 5Dii, I would probably shoot 90% sraw with a handfull of posed portraits in full raw.

As always, YMMV.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links

1,864 views & 0 likes for this thread
HEY 5dmk11 wedding photogs
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.