Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 26 Jun 2009 (Friday) 09:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Consumer Fraud - NY (Sonic Photo)

valoisr
252 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 26, 2009 09:12 |  #1

Just ran across this article in photo.net.

Buyer beware http://cityroom.blogs.​nytimes.com/2009/06/25​/online-electronic-stores-caught-in-consumer-fraud/ (external link)

Ray

Canon 50D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, Canon 70-300mm f/4-f/5.6 IS USM, Canon 430EX II flash, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon S90 !!!, , Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax f1.4 50mm lens, MF: Pentax 645N, Pentax: AF500FTZ Flash, AF lenses: 45mm wide, 75mm, 80-160mm, Sekonic L-308B-II, PS CS2, LR2, PSE 7.0, PRE 7.0, ProShow Gold

sponsored links
nikhilnh
426 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 26, 2009 09:23 |  #2

Finally these cheats got what they deserved. I hope they get shutdown if they do it again. The article also states that consumers who have been cheated by these companies can file a claim BBB from July to December.

FLICKR [  (external link)Feedback]

mobileman
118 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 26, 2009 09:29 |  #3

Its a shame that some of our most prestigous camera magazines still take advertisement from Broadway Photo! This just proves their a bunch of minipulators.

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 26, 2009 09:41 |  #4

Karma is a ****. I hope they get what they deserve - and then some!

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 26, 2009 10:18 |  #5

This will most likely have very little impact on the Brooklyn shysters! The two stores that closed will just open another store tomorrow and the ones being supervised will play nice for the time being and then go back to their usual business practices. These guys are criminals and they will continue to do what they're best at - screwing unsuspecting customers. They should have been put behind bars - the only way to get them off the streets.

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 26, 2009 16:13 |  #6

As part of the deal, five of the companies — Best Price Camera, Foto Connection, 1 Way Photo, 86th Street Photo and Broadway Photo — have agreed to change their business practices and accept continual monitoring. Two other companies, Camera Wiz and Sonic Photo, will close.

Awesome

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

heycow
771 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 26, 2009 16:31 |  #7

YES! It's a good start...

The companies, all of which are based in Brooklyn, have agreed to pay a $765,000 settlement after a lengthy investigation by the attorney general’s office.

After a phone call with a representative from Sonic Photo, in addition to the $765,000 settlement each company will include two OEM batteries, a 2GB CF card (unbranded of course) and a 5-year warranty. In addition, the government chose to upgrade from the standard plastic-mount settlement to the "special" metal-mount settlement.

Hello, my name is BEN

Family Photos (external link) :: My Maya-A-Day (external link) :: One Owen-A-Day (external link)
Canon 40D :: Canon 24-105f/4L IS :: Canon 50f/1.4 :: Sigma 30f/1.4 :: Canon 580EXII w/Big FlipIt! :: Like a dozen different bags...Go Crumpler! :)

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 26, 2009 21:49 |  #8

This is a perfect example of how reporting real malpractice to sites like resellerratings.com and other agencies like BBB can improve market conditions for all parties involved. I cannot tell you how many times I've been shooting or had my equipment out and had someone come up to talk photography, how they want to get into it, etc. The question always comes up--where do you recommend purchasing? I always mention B&H and I frequently get the response "oh not another one of those crook New York camera companies, let me tell you how they rip you off..." I always make it a point to underscore the fact that all NYC based photography companies are not the same, and in fact I point them to a quick read through the hundreds of reviews on resellerratings to show just how they aren't even in the same league. I understand that it just falls on deaf ears speaking with folks with preconceived notions about NY-based camera retailers, who may have made up their mind from anecdotal reports by friends or family based on an experience at another shop. It's not entirely bad though, these folks generally opt for the local retailers instead. Absolutely nothing wrong with this but it is the wrong reason to avoid places like B&H and Adorama and it's not fair to them. Obviously they are not named in this settlement; hopefully this investigation and subsequent settlement will make a wider audience in mainstream media, and will speak volumes to the casual consumer who probably isn't reading this thread or actively seeks advice from this forum.

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

iof
428 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jun 27, 2009 07:18 |  #9

After a phone call with a representative from Sonic Photo, in addition to the $765,000 settlement each company will include two OEM batteries, a 2GB CF card (unbranded of course) and a 5-year warranty. In addition, the government chose to upgrade from the standard plastic-mount settlement to the "special" metal-mount settlement.

Great comment ! except now I have to clean my morning coffee from my screen and keyboard.

I believe the effects of this civil penalty will be small and short-lived. Its cost will be accepted as part of the cost of doing business. The only real deterrent to these crooks would be jail time.

Ron.
5D,20D, D60, Elan 7, Canon stuff from the 70's, Pentax stuff from the 60's, other stuff.

sponsored links

613 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Consumer Fraud - NY (Sonic Photo)
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.