Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Jun 2009 (Monday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CDIA Photography Certificate Program - Please Help!

intrinsicvalue
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 22, 2009 16:21 |  #1

I'm considering enrolling in the photography certificate program at CDIA in Boston (http://www.cdiabu.com/​photography/programs.p​hp#210 (external link)) but I'm concerned that the cost of the program may not be worth the skills I'm looking to gain. I've heard that some certificate programs are great and some are horrible, but there's no way of really knowing which is which. It's not like Time Magazine reviews art schools in the country and provides you with a Top 100 list...

So I'm turning to you all for help.

What do you think of certificate programs in general? Are they worth the time/money/access to gear, or are they a waste of effort?

If you've attended or graduated from CDIA, I'd really love to hear from you. Do you think the program was worth it? Did you improve your skills and gain job contacts? Are you currently working as a photographer? Is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you for everything!

Visit me please! stefaniepoteet.com (external link) :)

PhotosGuy
75,847 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 22, 2009 19:19 |  #2

the skills I'm looking to gain.

To use for what?

Photography School (Schools/Degrees/Bills​/Aftermath = SCARY) Pro's?

College Photo Major in need of Venting

Art & Photography Schools (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

polarbare
575 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 23, 2009 10:17 |  #3

feel free to PM me for more info as my wife is a graduate of the program.

~Brad

Brad Moore
My Sportshooter (external link) Page
Polarbare Photo Blog (external link)
Photojournalist for Bostonist.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/polarbare (external link)

intrinsicvalue
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 29, 2009 16:27 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #4

My goal is to be a professional photographer that shoots a wide variety of subjects. I'm into fine art, travel, architecture, portraiture... a jack of all trades of sorts. I want to improve my existing skills, get more experience with studio equipment, and really take things to the next level. I also want job contacts and an education that's going to help me get a job in the real photography world.

Thank you for the links, I'll certainly check them out.

Stefanie

Visit me please! stefaniepoteet.com (external link) :)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,318 views & 0 likes for this thread
CDIA Photography Certificate Program - Please Help!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.